Nov 06, 2004, 08:55 PM
Here is where we fly. There are actually 3 crop circles of grass. Desert for hundreds of miles.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2004, 07:19 PM
...in the skies...

LMA discussion

Hey, Steve (& everyone). This thread has started me on a mission to find a cheap and effective lost model retrieval system. To that end, I've started a thread (actually a spin-off from Mr. RC-CAM's LoMA thread) over in the DIY Electronics forum.

Click here: Finding a lost model

Hope you all show up with your excellent ideas!

-- Kevin
Nov 07, 2004, 08:27 PM

How low and how far?

Steve

I enjoyed your story and was glad it ended well. It was a good lesson for us all.

I almost suffered a similar fate recently. I was trying an AP for the first time in the Blue Mountains near here. The trees had me freaked out(I'm not used to flying in them). The wind was calm at the surface but strong above. I was on a hill, got down wind, eye level about 400yds + away and panicked (actually I was already half panicked). I was having trouble picking up the planes direction. My son joined me about then and with his good eyes and calm advice I was able to slowly work my way back. The new Tanic pack and the PJS motor were part of the problem. In my panic state I kept giving the plane too much throttle and going vertical, at one point I think I did a loop and ended up in a vertical dive at the ground full speed.

My point in all this is that I'm begining to see a pattern to the times I've gotten in trouble and from your description of your episode it may also fit the pattern. I get downwind, low level and start having trouble picking up the planes direction and fly away thinking I am flying toward myself and all the time I'm trying to straighten it out the wind is taking me further away and soon it is hopeless and I have to let the plane go on a glide and hope I can mark it well enough to find it. It seems like there is an ideal 3 dimensional vertical cone to fly in so that you are always looking at the bottom of the plane. There is also a limit on the downwind side as to how far is too far to go. Hopefully I will learn from all this before I upgrade to an Optio S5i from my Pencam.

Larry
Last edited by RidgeTop; Nov 11, 2004 at 11:19 PM.
Nov 11, 2004, 02:19 PM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)

What a great outcome

What a great story, Steve. Glad you got your baby back. Man, I need to get back into AP or even flying for that matter.

Don't know if ya'll remember but we have a new baby around here (16 months now!!) Needless to say R/C has taken a backseat for me.

For now I'll stick to lurking out here...

Congrats Steve!!!

-Adam

Quick Reply