Sep 19, 2004, 03:16 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
When you were out looking for it did you nail the throttle a couple times? One time I lost my plane in some tall grass and that was the only way I could find it.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2004, 03:19 AM
Did You Hear That?
That's not good... I'm so sorry to hear of this... I'll try to send some of my recent "good luck vibes" your way to help find the plane...

Kevin
Sep 19, 2004, 05:55 AM
Takka-Takka-Takka
Bad luck Steve - BTDT and it's heartbreaking to know that your model is out there somewhere but you can't find it.

Take it systematically and if the vegetation is really high do make sure when you're looking that you look up as well as down- some clubmates found a model up in a high bush after walking past it dozens of times searching the ground.

Hope you get a better final outcome than I did with mine.

Good luck

Brian
Latest blog entry: A tale of two workshops
Sep 19, 2004, 05:56 AM
Sorry to hear that Steve! Hope you find the plane, and if you donīt, that you will find some way to raise the budget needed to show us all these awesome pictures.
Sep 19, 2004, 06:14 AM
You're sure to find it Steve. I wouldn't give up. Do you need a boat or can you wade it? I'm sure if you muster a small posse and buy them a drink for their efforts, you'll salvage something.
Sep 19, 2004, 07:36 AM
Been there, done that. It sucks. A *lot* of coulda, shoulda, woulda's start flowing through your head.

Good luck with your searches Steve. I always assumed you would loose power over the grand canyon and the plane would get stuck atop one of those giant freestanding rock columns in plain site but unreachable. This seems more like my luck.

I have heard a lot of success stories here (which always make me quite jealous) so I have high hopes for you.
Sep 19, 2004, 08:15 AM
Steve,
My heart goes out to you.
I wish I lived in your area. I would gladly do recon with my SS and bring in a boyscout troop with gps.

Perhapse not all is lost. I've lost planes in areas like that before and though it sometimes took days or in one case weeks (I returned 3 weeks later), I eventually found all of them. Usually I had a good bearing line from where I was standing, but was not sure about the range and typically I ended up finding it farther away than I thought it was.
Pete
Sep 19, 2004, 08:34 AM
jmh
jmh

Setting there..Waiting for you....

Hey Steve,
Got anyone that might be able to take you up to look from the air. Should be easy to locate. Bet it's just setting there waiting for you. Go to the local airport and offer to pay for the gas if someone will help. Good luck, jmh
Sep 19, 2004, 09:20 AM
O my that is deffinetly not what I want to hear!! Very sorry for your loss Steve I KNOW you will find it and I bet once you get everything and let it dry most of it might work again I bet your out looking for it right now Good luck in the search. I really want to see you back in the air ASAP you hear!

Kyle
Sep 19, 2004, 09:42 AM
Steve you've gotta know someone else who's into ap,send their plane up and take some pictures of the area,i found my mates zaggi this way(lost in a corn field)
good luck...
Ian
Sep 19, 2004, 10:05 AM
I know the feeling, did the exact same thing! I was able to find mine after 4 hours of searching. What helped me narrow down the search was using Microsoft's Terraserver

I was able to find my starting location and the direction of last flight then map out a search area. I guessed at my altitude and used a little geometry to come up with a pie shaped search area. Turned out with my crude calculations, I was right on at the farthest search point.

So don't give up and maybe the aerial maps might help you too. It sounds kinda isolated out there, but maybe you could talk to the locals and tell them what your looking for. I did, and some of the local kids wanted to help out in the search. I made fliers with a picture of the plane so they would know what to look for and had my contact info so they could call me.

After my incident, I vowed to never let this happen again, ala the GPS phone home (fly home) solution or an audio plane finder alarm. I finally decided the high tech solution was too expensive (though it had a high coolness factor and would be fun - maybe later) and the audio only might not help in a noisier area. I came up with a tracking radio solution instead. I'm making it right now, so I have not done final testing. It's like a model rocket tracking device, or a dog tracking device (for hunters). A small 1/2 ounce transmitter with independent power goes on the plane. It constantly transmits a signal (tone). If you loose the plane, you get out your receiver and Yagi antenna and go hunting. The transmitter is low frequency and low power but has a range of 2 miles. So in bad terrain I figure it should go at least 1/2 a mile, enough for me to get close enough to get a signal. If you are interested, I'll let you know how it turns out when I get to do some testing.

-George
Sep 19, 2004, 10:05 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Thread OP
Wow, thanks for all the support guys.

You know, I slept on it, and I refuse to lose this plane. The area I lost it cannot be bigger than about 3 acres of swampy, snake infested marshy muddy mess-land, so I am on the way after typing this to Sportsmans Warehouse to buy some hip waders and a machete. I'm going to get my plane back. I'll just zigzag that nasty area blazing a trail 'till I find it.

I hope.

I know I've got you guys out there with me, thanks!
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); Sep 19, 2004 at 10:15 AM.
Sep 19, 2004, 10:08 AM
Don't forget to get those boots that go up to your stomach they will keep you feet dry good luck in the seach!
Sep 19, 2004, 10:11 AM
Goodluck with your search e-bird! I hope you find your plane!!!
Sep 19, 2004, 10:14 AM
Keep looking for it!! Get some friends together and just walk the entire marsh, and ckeck places you would never think it would land. It may have even missed the marsh completly.

I had a similar experience with my e-streak. After i launched it, i noticed that it took full left ail to keep it level. I knew i could land it on the short grass, cause a wing tip might catch. So i put it into some tall grass. But when i went to look for it i couldnt find it!! I spent the next hour seaching where i THOUGHT it had landed. But right befor ei was about to give up. I gave some throttle and heard the grass shaking. I ran over and found it. But it was no where near where i thought it had gone down.

So the moral is, keep looking, it's there somewhere.

Ash

Quick Reply