Sep 23, 2004, 12:43 PM
Wish you luck today. I am currently ordering all the equip to make a new AP SS and I surely can feel your pain, I am seeing my $$'s flying away, probably going to get a $25 key beeper thing. Wal Mart is sure to have them.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2004, 01:05 PM
MX
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Perhaps we should spray raccoon scent on our planes so a good hound can track them down when we lose them.

MX
Sep 23, 2004, 01:11 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX
Perhaps we should spray raccoon scent on our planes so a good hound can track them down when we lose them.

MX
Hey, you may be on to something!

I think I'll go get my 3 pound Maltese, have her smell a SS wing in the garage, then throw her out in the swamp. Fetch, girl! Fetch!

Maybe not.
Sep 23, 2004, 01:18 PM
RCAPA #005
stick a doggie treat on the plane and I'll send you my beagle if this ever happens again. She'll find it- or some rabbit poo because apparently it's really yummie. Oh yeah- don't let her lick your face.
Sep 23, 2004, 02:33 PM
Defender of the Aerobird!
So did you get any recon pics with your makeshift SS?
Sep 23, 2004, 03:14 PM
I hope u find u soon. I have been having bad luck too. lost my 10 yr old GL after a LOT of work and sleepless nights.
http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...&threadid=1606
Sep 23, 2004, 03:59 PM
Thats way too bad about your plane being lost. Hopefully an aerial recon will show it sitting unharmed within reach. Be sure to post the aerial photo that leads you to it!
Sep 23, 2004, 08:45 PM
...in the skies...
Sorry to hear about your plane, Steve. If it's any consolation, we are all thinking a little harder and more seriously about how we can keep our own planes from going missing. Perhaps this will lead to one less plane being lost.

It seems like this thread has brought everybody out of the woodwork so I thought I'd make it unanimous. I haven't posted here in months, but this whole thing kind of parallels where I'm going myself.

A couple of weeks ago I lost my AP SS (briefly) in a bean field. What was I doing there? Looking for someone else's lost plane! (It's a long story.) Anyway it was exactly as you described it Steve -- started as a routine flight, got way out, got disoriented and somehow couldn't quite get it sorted out in time.

I stood for a couple of minutes at the side of the field listening for the little home-brew LMA I had on it. Nothing. I finally found it the old fashioned way, I saw a little bit of red sticking up among the beans. The LMA was functional, but I didn't hear it until I was about 20 feet from the plane. Useless!

That plane is nothing special, SP400, Mustek GSmart Mini 3. But now I'm working on an upgrade, AXI brushless, Berg, Optio S4 (or something, haven't decided yet). Won’t be quite as expensive as your setup, but close. After my little adventure (and now this thread), I vowed that I would not let it into the air until I had an LMA on it that worked!

The first thing I'm going to try is a little alarm that I picked up at the dollar store. It has a reed switch and a magnet and if the magnet is removed the alarm goes off. It is much louder than the little piezo buzzer in my home-brew LMA, and it goes "chirp-chirp-chirp" (as Bill Harris suggested), which should make it easier to pick out against background noises. However, I'm going to take it out into the middle of a field and set it off, just to make sure it will actually work in real life! If I can't hear it a couple of hundred feet away, I'll try something else.

It comes with it's own battery holder and watch batteries, and I'm planning on having a PIC switch a transistor across the reed switch. That way, the PIC and transistor will actively keep the alarm off. If the plane's power is lost, or if the LMA is thrown from the plane, the alarm will sound.

I agree with afabio, I think we should start a thread here (or in the DIY electronics forum) on the subject of a good, lightweight, low-cost, effective LMA or tracking device. Or maybe Mr. RC-CAM will save us all the hard work and design what we need. There have just been far too many people losing expensive AP ships!

-- Kevin
Sep 23, 2004, 09:12 PM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Steve, When I was a kid (back in the day) I use to tie fishing to the tails of dragonflys and let them fly with a leash.....................and I could always find the dragonfly when it went down hint hint ...R...
Sep 23, 2004, 09:30 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Thread OP

impasse

Marched in there today with a vengence, ran over several "paths" I'd made days before, and carved many new trails.

Came to an area beyond where I'd mostly searched before, extremely dense sawgrass area where the bottom falls out a few more feet. Too deep to walk in, it would have been up to my chest (and 1/2 that was mud, not water).
Not wanting to die alone in the swamp, I didn't venture out there.
It does happen to be on the "line" where I expect the plane to be, and it's deep enough the plane could easily have been swallowed up and would not be visible unless practically touching your thigh.

The SS I threw together with the Aiptek didn't fly, when I got out there the CC25 ESC decided it didn't want to work. Second time a CC25 has failed on me, not too happy about that.

Here's a few pics from the ground of the marsh. These are taken from eye level looking straight ahead.

I'll try again soon, but am quite discouraged after finding the area I cannot negotiate. Too darn dense to even get a boat in there.
Sep 23, 2004, 09:40 PM
woah... thats a tough opponent... U need some of those boots that go up to your stomach, that will keep you dry looks really thick though good luck with ur search. I bet its in the really deep part since its the worst possible place to land here we go with murphy's law... Why couldn't murphy's mom file for abortion or something....
Sep 23, 2004, 09:51 PM
De-Brushed user
LOL Kyle, havent heard that 1 before!

I hadnt posted yet because Im generally pretty bad luck when it comes to finding stuff, Im really sorry to hear about your plane Steve.
Sep 23, 2004, 09:56 PM
Steav, i'll bet you ten bucks that you plane is sitting in there somwhere.

That is THICK!! Now i see waht your talking about. Picutres speak 2,000 words.

Ash
Sep 23, 2004, 09:57 PM
well i got the idea to post that from hering the fact that hilter's mom was going to file for abortion but the doctor talked her out of it. But thats for another forum
Sep 23, 2004, 10:30 PM
Ascended Master
Have you tried coming in from the side opposite that which you flew from?
Sometimes these things are further away than they appeared.

Quick Reply