Sep 21, 2004, 08:27 PM
Peakaboo!
I've found a digital camera in a marsh. The last picture worths a look.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...d=302413&stc=1
AlfredE.jpg
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2004, 08:55 PM
Peakaboo!
Weird ! My name is written on the camera and my head is bleeding...
Sep 21, 2004, 09:39 PM
We got planes to build
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAR-STOOL
What if ??

In a few years cell phones will be only 4-5 oz with 5 mp cameras with built in GPS. IF we can put our cell hone on our plane we can take aerial photos and if the plane go's down we can just call our cell phone and ask it were it is and directions how to get there. Or listen for the ringing phone to help us find it.

Or we can put a smoke stick on it with a glow plug on the fuse and send out smoke signals.

Just thinking as I was haveing my morning coffee and reading this thread. I thing I need more coffee now to wake up and quit dreaming

BAR-STOOL
Over the weekend I lost my pager while bike riding. I retraced my tracks at 10:00 pm Saturday night (obviously in the dark) and was able to find it by paging myself along the way. I think you are correct, in a few years attaching a cell phone may be a viable option.

Dave
Sep 22, 2004, 01:29 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Steve, my man, I think its time for one of these: http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/gws...a__1500029.htm
Sep 22, 2004, 04:36 AM
Steve,

I thought for sure you'd found it by the 11th page of threads. Here's my recommendation. Burn the whole swamp down with diesel, "so this type of thing doesn't happen again" and to get your revenge on the foliage. OR - Lie. Just tell us all that you found it, everything works fine, ect....

As a Lieutenant years ago, one of my soldiers lost a peice of equipment (let's just say it was REALLY expensive and a sensitive security item) in the woods during field training. I walked the platoon for 5 hours up and down through this ravine in the dark after they'd been up for 28 hours on missions. I let them sleep for two hours and got them back up and they found it, luckily. I was sure it was lost because it was so damn small, but we did the "search by grids" with toilet paper from trees marking our lanes. I guess I tell you this because other than the wife or girlfriend, you're not going to "get into trouble with the government" for losing this plane.

It sucks man and for what it's worth, burn it down and take pictures of the swamp on fire...

Rob
Sep 22, 2004, 06:55 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.elliott
I thought for sure you'd found it by the 11th page of threads.
lol, Rob, you need to go to the member control panel and increase the number of posts per page. This is only page 4.

I'm not in trouble with the gov't for losing the plane, but I would be if I burned the marsh.
You still have names and numbers of your old army buddies? They can come search the marsh any time.

Still working on doing some aerial recon with the Aiptek, but work is keeping me late until Thursday. I'll get in there and take some photos then.
Sep 22, 2004, 12:41 PM
I know how I felt when I lost my model on the school roof last month. And it was only worth a fraction of what your swamp ate. And, I was able to sneak up a ladder and recover it (the only loss was a ruined LiPo pack). Hang in there, get the Aiptek up in the air, and find the lost little fellow. My money is on this is how it all ends.

I'm off to design the world's simplest R/C model finder alarm. Your stealthly missing model has inspired another R/C electronics project.

RC-CAM
Sep 22, 2004, 12:54 PM
Not to threadjack, but if Mr RC-Cam is designing, let me give you a couple of ideas I had on the subject
-
1) Seperate power source! The battery is the heaviest thing on the plane, and there is a good chance it will be disconnected on a bad landing. My idea for good high energy density, low weight cells are sitting right behind the ears of many people world wide... Zinc Air cells - the same ones used in hearing aids. The only downside to them is that you have to keep the current low. Piezos can be current hungry, but you could use a cap to store up the charge for a quick beep.

2) Servo signal passthrough - the great thing about the GWS be-found is that it will only beep if power falls low, or if the tx signal is gone. Being that our rc systems run off a regulator, low power alert is probably not necessary, but checking for a servo signal is a good idea.

3) If you really want to get complex, you can make a completely redundant system based upon a micro reciever on the same channel as the main, seperate power source, and a piezo.

we should probably move over to a thread in DIY electronics...

I'm still waiting and hoping for that "I found it!!!" post from Steve

-Adam
Sep 22, 2004, 01:02 PM
Restful User
Quote:
I'm off to design the world's simplest R/C model finder alarm. Your stealthly missing model has inspired another R/C electronics project.
Good move. I saw something ref'd to your site as I googled "lost plane alarms". Since you're PICing it, I'd suggest something that goes "chirp-chirp-chirp___chirp-chirp-chirp" instead of a steady tone; that would be easier to pick out from background noise.

--Bill
Sep 23, 2004, 03:55 AM
my heart goes out to you. Dude, find the lost plane !! ya, i know, talking is easy and doing it is hard. Well, all the best !! hope to hear some good news ASAP

dun lose hope...
Sep 23, 2004, 08:26 AM
Beam me up Scotty
Steve, hope you find your plane. Years ago when I first started flying my model went out of control and went down behind some trees. I searched but couldn't find it so I
got a friend to take me up in his full size and the first pass over the area found the model lying upside down in the next field over from where I had been searching. The model had gone half again as far as I thought at first. I went right to it the second time, it was about the best $20. I ever spent. The battery connector had loosened
from repeated failed take off attempts. Good luck in your hunt.

Vette
Sep 23, 2004, 09:13 AM

Sucks loosing a plane, how about it being stolen?

I had a plane once go into a heavily wooded area. Got it on video too. It shows how my plane did the exact thing you did. Too far, starts to bank to one side, then it spirals down into the woods. Not a problem... we'll just go and pick it up. Then when I got there, noticed a path and no plane.

So if anyone out there (In the Toronto - North York area) has a F27 Stryker for ch6, without a radio and has a glued on nose cone... please let me know.

I feel your pain.

I had to replace the whole kit and they only had a ch4. Now I have a ch6 radio collecting dust.
Last edited by pkrska; Sep 23, 2004 at 09:26 AM.
Sep 23, 2004, 09:20 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Thread OP

Update

Due to work and really bad weather since Monday, I haven't been back to search for the plane.

I plan on a major search campaign today, as the weather is great and I'm leaving work early. I may even get a makeshift SS in the air carrying an Aiptek to get some recon photos.

I would be so nice to be able to say "FOUND IT!!" in my next post. It got down to 25F last night, so I hope my rx, esc, and camera liked being wet then frozen.
Sep 23, 2004, 09:22 AM
Good luck steve.....
Sep 23, 2004, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Would building somthing like this
http://www.pointersolutions.com/eng/pet_petdog.htm be difficult?

Quick Reply