Feb 01, 2017, 08:41 PM
Design.Build.Fly
I think weve all had our days like that
I like what you did with the trim scheme. Looks nice.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2017, 07:30 AM
Speed Demon
Looks good Larry, she ought to scoot right along!
Feb 02, 2017, 06:40 PM
I will take an aborted maiden any day over a rushed flight Could you imagine what might have happened if it would have broke free with ice/snow chunks on the bottom? That could have ended badly...good call!
Feb 03, 2017, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the comments. Got to thinking about the other planes I built that have flown off snow. At least two A10's and a couple of twin biz jets, never had this problem. The difference was the planes stayed in the car, only the radio and batteries were kept indoors.
Waiting for maiden conducive weather. Weather reports indicate windy for the next couple of days
Feb 04, 2017, 03:27 AM
Closed Account
Good idea to not fly when it doesn't seem right.

The last time I flew in snow, the field was about 18" deep. Could either land from the sun direction which I believe the wind was coming from also, or the long direction of the field. The other direction doesn't work well because of obstructions. When you're landing something you've never flown before, you can't predict it well either. Got really lucky, trying to land as close as possible, to not trudge through 18" of snow. On approach it looked like the glide was really good, and was approaching a long 5 foot piled wall of icy snow from the town cleanup trucks. Not wanting to hit the wall, I tried the lightest amount of pushing down, to land sooner. Did a good cartwheel with a twin boom subject, similar to a Vampire. Was quite pleased that nothing was damaged, but it could have easily broken both booms off.
Feb 04, 2017, 04:31 AM
Big gov never Works
Hi Larry! Just found this thread. Interesting use of old parts. Good Luck!

Fuzz
Feb 06, 2017, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
Fuzz and others,

Thanks for the comments. Weather around here is not conducive to anything. Too windy to fly, not enough snow for cross-country skiing, too cold for biking, too much road salt for the toy car. May as well get to some of my "honey, do" list done.
Mar 04, 2019, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
Well, here it is just about 2 years later. Sadly I must admit I've done nothing with RC for these two years. Haven't designed or built anything new, just sort of stepped back for a while although I must admit to "lurking" on RCGroups every day.
Now I find my interest be piqued and just today decided to fly this plane. Since it is winter here, I would do a rise-off-snow as opposed to a bungee launch.
Went to charge the batts and not surprising my 4 year old packs wouldn't take a charge.
So the question is: what vendors are you guys using these days?
I'm looking for 4S4000maHr packs ,

Thanks in advance
Mar 05, 2019, 10:10 AM
Foam addict
Since you live in the US I would recommend the MotionRC Admiral batteries.
When you are not using them, keep them at 3.8v per cell (storage level) for maximum life.
Mar 05, 2019, 11:50 AM
Big gov never Works
Hi Larry, good to hear from you again. Hope all is well.

Fuzz
Mar 05, 2019, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
Right back at you. Like I said above, I've been lurking here mostly.

There were a few posts back a month or so inquiring about your whereabout. Hope all is well with you.

Kind regards

4Stripes,

Thanks for the hint.
Mar 05, 2019, 05:40 PM
Classic jets rule
great to see you back posting and hopefully flying soon
Mar 05, 2019, 07:12 PM
Big gov never Works
Hi Larry, and thank you for your concern. I had some health issues, and was not at home for a while. Been home since Nov. and much better but not 100%. Larry, I have been using Zippy's for years. For the applications you and I use in EDF, they work fine. I have packs over 4yrs old going strong. My RBC P-80 uses (2) 3s-2000 Zippy in series(6s) @ 20C. Real cheap. The EVO uses an HET 3W25 and draws 24A@610W. Proper break-in and use and you don't need expensive packs. Shoot for high voltage low amp systems, and give me the "cheap" packs.

Fuzz
Mar 05, 2019, 07:32 PM
Cajun-American
Good to see you back Larry.

Check out these guys.
https://rcjetwerx.com/

Been my go-to spot for my last several packs.
Parks are still hard as a brick.
Mar 06, 2019, 08:10 AM
Thread OP
St. Martin,

Had my own health issue in the form of a car/bike accident on August 12th. It's week 29 since the surgery and I am recovering little by little. Titanium is my friend.
Takes a long time for old bones to heal

Car/bike contests don't end well

Boogie, thanks and I'll be sure to check them out.

Quick Reply