USS Concord (CL-10), 1/96 Omaha-class cruiser - Page 7 - RC Groups
Jul 24, 2017, 08:40 PM
oldtribefan
You work is amazing. What a beautiful model!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2017, 07:03 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!

Catapults

As promised here are some photos of the catapults being constructed. These really add a lot of detail to the model, but of course now I have to get back into the model airplane business which I haven't been involved with for quite awhile!

Also putting the finishing touches on the various boats and making a start on the deck-edge railings/stanchions. Still enough to keep me busy for a few more weeks, but the end of this build is in sight folks!
Aug 14, 2017, 07:10 PM
Fantastic work. Thank you for sharing the building of the launchers. What did you use to cut all the holes so precisely? Looks perfect. That launch is really nice too. It would make a great model scaled up to a larger size. Were these scratch built?
Aug 16, 2017, 02:00 PM
I used a pin vise to drill a small hole at each center point, and then worked up with larger bits to the proper size. Used a side-cutting bit on the Dremel to widen the circles out to ovals where needed. Time consuming and lots of holes for sure. Not perfect alignment every time but it was as close as I could get.

The boats are 3DP on this build, along with the cowl vents and the 3"/50's. Everything else is scratch-built.

Starting work on the airplanes as we speak- two Vought UO-1's. 3DP not an option for those so it's up to me!
Aug 17, 2017, 04:23 PM
Very, very nice!
Aug 19, 2017, 03:01 PM
Making some progress on the floatplanes. Had to keep them light to keep topside weight to a minimum, so I went with balsa for the fuselage and floats. The wings and supports are styrene. I built quite a few static plastic airplane kits as a kid but none were in 1/96 scale.... these things are small!

Still need to detail them and add some decals, but I think they're gonna be convincing enough.
Aug 19, 2017, 10:09 PM
Just incredible work. Those aircraft are tiny and you nailed it.
Aug 20, 2017, 11:40 AM
Thanks! And now some color... I don't get to break out the chrome yellow very often!
Aug 20, 2017, 11:53 AM
that really wakes things up, sure add a nice touch.
Aug 27, 2017, 03:16 PM
Coming up on the 10-month mark for this build- sure has gone by quick! I estimate about 400 hours in construction to date, but I think I'll be at a stopping point in the next couple of weeks. I can't ever call a build "done" since more details can always be added, but eventually I get to a point where I'm satisfied.

So final detailing continues... added the rangefinders and the torpedo director platform. Also wrapping up the last of the inboard railings before starting the deck edge stanchions. I've also made the first couple of airplane parts crates for the stowage platform midships- several more of these are needed.

Will probably work on the paravane booms and radio aerials next.
Aug 27, 2017, 05:03 PM
almost enough time to get another boat ready for oct. looking great we should have lots of cruisers out on the pond..
Aug 28, 2017, 04:06 PM
I'm gonna need the extra time to shift back to DD-932 for a bit- I never finished detailing like I should have!
Sep 12, 2017, 06:41 PM
Great build! What are you using for motor to shaft couplings?
Sep 13, 2017, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Ventre
Great build! What are you using for motor to shaft couplings?
Hello Clay, welcome to the forum!

I went with the old style Dumas "dogbones" on this build. They have very low friction, are forgiving of misalignment and are practically bulletproof. I believe Dumas still produces them.