USS Concord (CL-10), 1/96 Omaha-class cruiser - Page 5 - RC Groups
Apr 09, 2017, 08:31 PM
wow great job
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2017, 08:53 PM
Excellent work on the rails. Nicely done.
Apr 16, 2017, 06:04 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
After all the attention being directed at the bridge and superstructure these last few weeks it was time to make a start on the turrets. These are unique to the Omaha's of course, so like everything else they had to be made from scratch. Saving topside weight has been a focus throughout this build, so these were fabricated from thick (.060") styrene. The turret roofs are light ply and the gun barrels are turned brass.

Rivets are very prominent here, so the completed turrets were overlaid with .015" styrene sheet which had been treated to a few passes of the pounce wheel on the reverse side. Overall the results are pretty convincing.

There's still detailing to do on the turrets; hatches, ladder rungs, and gun sights. Also it's worth noting that the forward turret is removable and will conceal the switches for power and smoke. This seemed like a good location since it can reached easily without breaking small parts with my fingers, and the switches are close at hand when returning to shore bow-on.
Apr 30, 2017, 04:27 PM
Making steady progress these last couple of weeks. Most of the structures on the upper deck are finished including the radio house, compass enclosure, vegetable locker, and boiler room intakes. Quite a bit of time was spent on the mainmast, adding details like the battle lookout station, spreader bars, yards, and the various attachment points for rigging. I also decided to go ahead and install the airplane recovery boom and steam winch.

Believe it or not we're only at the six-month mark since laying the keel, so we've come pretty far on this build. There's still so much to do though: anchor handing equipment, boats and davits, and oh yes- airplanes and catapults just to name a few. So work will continue right through summer for sure!

At some point I need to put this thing in the water (it hasn't even been wet yet) to get the internals situated and make sure we're properly ballasted.
May 01, 2017, 01:02 PM
Beautiful work. The details are fantastic. It is going to be something to see when you get her on the water. I am looking forward to watching you complete the ship.
May 01, 2017, 07:41 PM
Thank you! I'm looking forward to sailing her too; I'm pretty sure there won't be another one on the water so uniqueness is guaranteed!
May 08, 2017, 11:39 AM
looking great, but talk about rigging!!!
May 08, 2017, 05:33 PM
Man you're not kidding- I'm gonna have to order in bulk!
May 08, 2017, 07:28 PM
Your gonna need a dust cover for sure.
May 08, 2017, 07:39 PM
I have absolutely no knowledge into war ships but I must admit this is a nice hull design. The quality of your work is outstanding!
Last edited by Sylvain; May 14, 2017 at 11:52 AM.
May 14, 2017, 11:40 AM

Maiden Voyage

Time to get the Concord on the water (peer pressure I guess ). The timing is good actually, since the process of ballasting and organizing the internals requires taking off the superstructure frequently and small details would likely get broken if I had gone much further with them.

As it was she spent some time in the improvised test tank yesterday (much too long for the tub!) and of all the wiring was completed. I did something different with the smoke generator this time around; I wanted to avoid having run time impacted by the draw of the smoke generator on the same battery, so I kept the drive motors on their own 6-volt system and installed a separate 12-volt battery and speed controller dedicated just to the smoke generator. Now I can control the volume of smoke with a proportional dial on the transmitter, irrespective of what the motors are doing. Both systems are switched separately and two charging jacks are provided, all underneath the forward turret.

There's not much draft with this hull which is extremely narrow and long. I was concerned that it would be easy to overload it, but there was a very comfortable margin left with everything in place. In fact I had to add some lead ballast to get down to the correct waterline aft. Stability was also a concern but I have been mindful of minimizing topside weight. She has proven to be quite stable, and in the windy conditions today exhibited a very small amount of heel in tight turns broadside to the wind. This will no doubt increase somewhat with the addition of all the rigging, but I'm certain we have plenty of positive GM.

As for performance, there is more than enough power with just the two inside screws to move her along at more than scale speed if necessary. I'm glad I chose not to power the outboard shafts. Rate of turn was poorer than expected however and took some getting used to. I think I can improve on that by increasing the throw of the rudder, but there is a noticeable decrease in maneuverability with such a long hull. Not enough to be a real problem, but she's definitely no destroyer.

I have attached some pictures of the maiden voyage but they're not very good just coming from the cellphone. I'll take some better ones later and get some shots of the internals too.
May 14, 2017, 11:51 AM
Very nice! Love the smoke! She is one fine ship! I like it.
May 14, 2017, 09:49 PM
boat butcher
Cool. Love the smoke from all 4 funnels .

Mark
May 15, 2017, 08:17 AM
Clean, crisp work as usual - !
May 16, 2017, 03:39 PM
Thanks everyone- we're not done yet though, so stay tuned!