USS Concord (CL-10), 1/96 Omaha-class cruiser - Page 4 - RC Groups
Feb 05, 2017, 03:20 PM

Magnetic Rudder Catch.

Sure can. No problem. Your set up seems perfect for this thing. You do not need a lathe to build it. Here is a the basic principle. I can give you more information and other photos if you want to give it a try. The set up you see here is in my Perry Frigate. I have just completed a dual set up for my Burke II A. If you check that thread you can see how I built it from start to finish.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2017, 04:24 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
That's pretty clever- a great idea to try out next time around! Thanks!
Feb 12, 2017, 01:36 PM
Quick update to show how the forward superstructure is progressing. Definitely not a typical layout, so thinking ahead is really important to help avoid problems. To complicate things the sections below the bridge have both camber and sheer, but the gun platforms and casemates which meet up to them are flat and level. Very easy to goof things up if you're not careful.

Just a matter of working our way up now, deck by deck.
Feb 18, 2017, 09:29 PM
Work continues on the forward superstructure. With the casemates finished I've been able to get the conning tower and pilothouse framed up, although it is not secured yet and quite a bit of detailing remains to be done.

I'll do some interior detailing on the bridge level, since the windows are large and it will be visible. There's also lots of structural steel members under the bridge wings to model, plus all sorts of exposed piping, wiring, ladders and platforms. Then it's time to tackle the tripod foremast.

I guess I could start thinking about funnels at some point soon..... oh, and turrets!
Feb 26, 2017, 12:41 PM
The pilot house and tripod mast are coming together now- keeping a close eye on alignment of the various decks and braces.

Also prepping for installation of structures in the midship section. Spent quite a bit of time marking out the future locations of equipment and masking them off. There are a number of reasons for doing this now: first it eliminates having to paint around all the nooks and crannies once detailing begins, and second it keeps paint off the areas where bondene will be used to weld the styrene together. Lastly it saves having to locate everything accurately later- it's much easier to do a good job when the centerline is visible and there are no obstructions in the way. All in all it's worth the time and makes for a much cleaner result.

Material for the stacks should be arriving this week, as well as a microfilm scan from NARA which will help fill in the blanks with regard to structural members under the bridgewings and the various upper works.
Feb 26, 2017, 12:59 PM
Beautiful work. Great tip for blocking off the deck. Makes a lot of sense.

Mike
Feb 27, 2017, 01:56 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Excellent craftsmanship.
Mar 05, 2017, 08:14 PM
Took a break from the superstructure to work on the stacks- which are a real focal point of this ship. Material is a special clear PVC tube which is available in an assortment of diameters through McMaster Carr. It is 1/16" thick, rigid, and is compatible with the bondene cement used for welding styrene. It's light too, and saves a ton of topside weight. Once it is scuffed up with 320-grit paper anything can be attached to it and paint adheres well.

Of course all details have to be duplicated x4, which gets a little tedious but goes quicker once a rhythm develops. But overall things are starting to look like they're supposed to...
Mar 06, 2017, 06:59 AM
Excellent styrene work captain. She is a fine looking ship.
Mar 12, 2017, 04:01 PM
The stacks are all painted and I've moved back to the forward superstructure. Lots of complex little platforms and stations to contend with, and this section has not been painted or affixed to the ship to allow me to work on it more easily.

The forward battle lookout station is nearly complete, and I have started work on the fire control tower. Lots of windows in that piece and the roof has some interesting angles to it. Must have been an excellent vantage point from up there, but talk about exposed... no armor or shielding to speak of.

I'm going to stay on this section for a while now, as there is a ton of detailing to do. Should look pretty sharp once it is painted.
Last edited by mariner02; Mar 12, 2017 at 04:08 PM.
Mar 19, 2017, 06:49 PM
Detailing of the forward superstructure continues. I have also test-fitted the masts which are just crazy tall. These were shortened in stages over the years, and by WWII were only about a third of their original height. Before the advent of radar however, it was essential to get lookouts and radio aerials as high up as possible for these "scout cruisers" to be effective in their role.
Mar 19, 2017, 07:24 PM
Wow, that is amazing work ....
Mar 21, 2017, 03:41 AM
Thanks man- I'm enjoying this project.

Also I came across a good photo of Richmond (CL-9) on trials in 1923....
Mar 22, 2017, 02:59 PM
Looks great! Superb styrene work – as usual!
That rigging will be nightmare.
Apr 09, 2017, 02:51 PM
Nearly finished with the forward superstructure except for fittings like searchlights and the range finder. Of course a lot of time was spent on everyone's favorite task... railings. The 4-bar rails around the bridge wings were extra fun believe me; there's probably several hours in those alone.

Made a start on the radio house midships, this will be followed by all of the other fun details on the upper deck. Speaking of which these ships had unusual cowl vents with no flare (see photo). Looks like the perfect thing for 3DP, but no one has done these that I am aware of- Pat you out there?

Things are looking pretty bare fore and aft now, so I'll have to make a start on the turrets soon...