USS Concord (CL-10), 1/96 Omaha-class cruiser - Page 2 - RC Groups
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2016, 09:39 AM
long and lean!! textbook class on plank on frame set-up!!!
Nov 18, 2016, 09:51 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
Planking now underway... one 1/4" strip at a time. 20 courses so far and a ways to go yet. The running hardware arrived from the UK this afternoon though- the props look pretty slick
Nov 19, 2016, 04:07 PM
Very neat and tidy. Excellent craftsmanship.
Nov 20, 2016, 03:29 PM
And voila- we have a hull for an Omaha-class cruiser. Planking went unusually well; just kept adding one course after another until the deck edge was reached. It really helped having a break midships. Still getting the glue off my fingers though.

Once the planks were complete the hull was removed from the building board and the frame tabs sawn off. The deck edges were then marked and the excess planking removed. Everything is square and true- no warping or twists.

Up next are the bow and stern blocks, followed by fiberglass.
Nov 20, 2016, 05:33 PM
Always a milestone when you can cut it loose and turn the hull over. Very nice looking hull. Looks as good on the inside as it does on the outside.
Dec 10, 2016, 12:58 PM
The Concord's hull is coming along nicely- bow and stern blocks have been added and fiberglassing is complete. Still need to do some refining of the deck edges though. Locating and drilling the portholes will be next, followed by hull plating, bilge keels, and shaft installation.
Dec 12, 2016, 01:05 PM
That is very lean!
The real boats had quite tall masts, will you be making them in brass or something lighter?
Dec 13, 2016, 06:57 AM
Probably will go with my usual technique of styrene tube sleeved over brass tube or rod. This keeps the weight down, but is rigid and strong. It also enables me to do lots of fine detail work without getting bogged down by a million solder joints.
Dec 13, 2016, 11:32 AM
Beautiful work. The planking looks great. What thickness of planks do you use?

Mike
Dec 13, 2016, 12:44 PM
I've seen some of the guys on the German forums using carbon fibre rods for super light masts.
Has anyone tried it?
Is it available in the States?
Dec 13, 2016, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalmsten
Beautiful work. The planking looks great. What thickness of planks do you use?

Mike
Thanks Mike- at least folks will be able to see all the effort that went into planking when the deck is off. Thickness is 1/16".
Dec 13, 2016, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mahoney
I've seen some of the guys on the German forums using carbon fibre rods for super light masts.
Has anyone tried it?
Is it available in the States?
And how do you attach to it?
Dec 14, 2016, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner02
And how do you attach to it?
You should be able to find it or order it at your local hobby shop. My LHS stocks carbon fibre rod and tubes of various lengths. It is regularly used to stiffen wings on foam aircraft and as tail booms on helis. Bonds really good with CA or Epoxy.
Dec 14, 2016, 10:31 AM
Beautiful looking hull, superb craftsmanship.