USS Concord (CL-10), 1/96 Omaha-class cruiser - RC Groups
Oct 31, 2016, 07:36 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
Build Log

USS Concord (CL-10), 1/96 Omaha-class cruiser

Well folks, it's time for another punishing scratch-build, but this is one I've been looking forward to for a long time. I've always been intrigued by the unorthodox design of the Omaha-class cruisers; sleek and fast hulls with one of the most bizarre armament arrangements ever conceived. Just look at one and you can see how terribly conflicted the Navy was immediately after WWI, trying to cover all the bases. Turrets? Got em. Casemate guns? Sure- those are good too. Now let's throw in four sets of torpedo tubes, mine-laying tracks, some light secondary guns, and of course catapults for those newfangled aeroplanes. Oh, and let's cram in 90,000 HP of steam turbine power on top of all that and try to make these things do 35 knots. Check, check, and check.

The result was the Navy's interpretation of what a modern cruiser should be, and for a time the class lived up to much of what was expected of them. They were certainly fast, but armor was sacrificed wherever possible, and living quarters for the crew were cramped and lacked many comforts. The casemates were an almost immediate regret, but they did give an unusually large volume of fire directly ahead and astern.
All 10 vessels remained in service through WWII, and though they were thoroughly obsolete by then, many still accumulated notable combat records and survived some pretty significant damage. The Navy couldn't scrap them fast enough after the war ended however, and ever since they have struggled for the recognition they deserve.

I'm going to try to do something about that, at least in my own small way, by finally putting a detailed Omaha-class cruiser on the water. Of course this will have to be a scratch-build all the way, but I've got great plans thanks to my recent visit to NARA and a raft of raw materials waiting to become something. I'm sure there will be some unique problems to tackle along the way, but this should be pretty fun. Hang on!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2016, 07:44 PM
Like I do with practically all of my builds, I'm going to represent the Concord as she left the shipyard in Philadelphia in 1923. These ships were heavily modified over the years, but were much cleaner in appearance in those early days.
Oct 31, 2016, 10:49 PM
Owner of SSY
Scale Shipyard is working up the hull master in 1:96 scale for the Omaha class in association with Cottage Industry Models in SC.
Nov 01, 2016, 05:49 AM
Excellent. It would be neat to see a few more of these out there! This is going to be a big hull- I rolled out the plans last night and they almost didn't fit on my table. Not much beam though, roughly 7", so I'm going to have watch topside weight pretty closely. The real ships were tender too from what I've read.
Nov 01, 2016, 07:45 AM
I've had the USS Raleigh CL7.. on my long term list so this should be fun to watch.. one of the last class with guns mounted in hull sponsens..
Nov 01, 2016, 08:04 AM
Chris Craft Corvette
Hi Mariner02 and TGHSmith,
I live in Charleston, SC and would like to find a group of scale boaters to run with. Do either of you gentleman know of a group near Charleston?
Thanks,
Dick
Nov 01, 2016, 08:28 AM
Wonderful subject. I am sure you will do her justice.
Of that class of cruiser, everyone of them made a port call here between 1924 and 1931 except for the Omaha
Nov 01, 2016, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith
I've had the USS Raleigh CL7.. on my long term list so this should be fun to watch.. one of the last class with guns mounted in hull sponsens..
Wow you're not exposed at all sitting on top of those torpedo tubes!
Nov 02, 2016, 01:49 PM
How is the Patapsco project going? Did I miss its completion?
Nov 02, 2016, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mahoney
How is the Patapsco project going? Did I miss its completion?
Aw man, I knew someone was going to ask about that. The Patapsco is languishing in the corner, begging to be completed and filling me with guilt every time I look at it. The annual Rocky Mount event has forced me to shift gears however, as it is strictly 1/96. So the poor Patapsco has been set aside for the time being so that I can have something else to run at that event besides the JPJ. But she will be finished.
Nov 05, 2016, 01:46 PM
Great! The more builds you have on, the better for all of us readers.
Steve
Nov 05, 2016, 10:47 PM
Thanks Steve- glad you enjoy this stuff!

Frames are cut, all 20 of them plus a doubler midships to join the planks together end-on when the time comes; this thing is nearly 70" long after all...

The tabs on the top of the frames are to keep everything lined up properly while on the building board. Once planking is complete they will be cut off.
Will probably start cutting out the centers of the frames and keel notches tomorrow, then the real fun starts
Nov 10, 2016, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.L Upshaw
Scale Shipyard is working up the hull master in 1:96 scale for the Omaha class in association with Cottage Industry Models in SC.
Been looking forward to this hull for a while. Will definitely be a model you won't see on the lake very often.
Nov 10, 2016, 06:23 PM
boat butcher

Mark