Oct 31, 2016, 05:08 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
Thread OP
Build Log

Element 2 electro from CLM-Pro

First a statement of disclosure.
I am one of the sources for CLM-Pro products in the USA.

I purchased one of the first models of the Element 2 E from CLM-Pro, and there were some minor issues which have been corrected in the production runs.

Please note, the uncovered version, which I purchased is no longer available.

The assembly is very straight forward.
I drilled two holes in the boom for the rudder and elevator pushrods. "Dry" assembly and some masking tape allowed the holes to be located and elongated to accept the provided pushrods.
I chose to make the vertical removable, and just ran a 3mm nylon bolt through the fin mount and the fuselage boom and secured it with a nylon nut.
The horizontal uses a standard CLM-Pro V-mount and is easily slid on to the boom, aligned with the vertical and CA'd into position.
The wing center section was mounted to the pod, the holes are already in the wing, the threaded inserts are in the pod, and screws are supplied. With the flap taped in the neutral position, the stab in place the pod/boom joint was made with some 15 minute epoxy.
I used the supplied push-rods, but was careful to align servos and surfaces so as to avoid using any adjusters of any kind. Simple 'L' bends and keepers suffice on such a lightweight model.

The canopy was held in place by gluing a 2mm wire to the underside with "JB Weld". A 1" long 'blob' of adhesive is adequate.
The D60 servos were mounted in a tray so as to be just ahead of the rear of the canopy cut-out. (see picture).
The Hi-tec HS65MG flap servos is held in the pocket under the wing by double sided foam tape, and a piece of packing tape is placed over the servo and covers most of the pocket. A cut-out will need to be made in the wing saddle to pass the aileron connection through.
The receiver is mounted behind the servos, and is not accesible without removing the servos from their mount.

The motor chosen was a Hacker B20-26S with a gearbox, mounted in a PNC aluminum mount. I highly recommend the PNC mounts,. they really finish off the fuselage beautifully.
Fitting this mount involved removing the motor mount bulkhead molded into the pod, and careful work with a "Dremel" cutting wheel and sanding drum had it ready for the new mount in less than 5 minutes

The power is completed by a Aeronaut 11X6 folder and an Aeronaut 30mm spinner. (Both from Esprit Models). All run through a Jeti 11A ESC.

For a battery I use a 3s 900mAh HV by Hyperion, but I am not sure if these are still available. Any 3s 1000mAh thin battery should work, but space is tight.
The model balanced at 35% chord and has not needed any adjustment.

The total weight, ready to fly is 18oz and the power measured at the battery is 160W. I know I am pushing the ESC, but it has held up for 20 or more launches so far, and the climb rate is such that I only use a 12 second motor run for most flying.
If you want to use this for 2M electric ALES there is room behind the servos for a CAM unit alongside the receiver.

The model may be ordered with your choice of covering colors from the "Oracover range by contacting me at [email protected].

Iain
Last edited by rev.iain; Oct 31, 2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2017, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain
First a statement of disclosure.
I am one of the sources for CLM-Pro products in the USA.

I purchased one of the first models of the Element 2 E from CLM-Pro, and there were some minor issues which have been corrected in the production runs.

Please note, the uncovered version, which I purchased is no longer available.

The assembly is very straight forward.
I drilled two holes in the boom for the rudder and elevator pushrods. "Dry" assembly and some masking tape allowed the holes to be located and elongated to accept the provided pushrods.
I chose to make the vertical removable, and just ran a 3mm nylon bolt through the fin mount and the fuselage boom and secured it with a nylon nut.
The horizontal uses a standard CLM-Pro V-mount and is easily slid on to the boom, aligned with the vertical and CA'd into position.
The wing center section was mounted to the pod, the holes are already in the wing, the threaded inserts are in the pod, and screws are supplied. With the flap taped in the neutral position, the stab in place the pod/boom joint was made with some 15 minute epoxy.
I used the supplied push-rods, but was careful to align servos and surfaces so as to avoid using any adjusters of any kind. Simple 'L' bends and keepers suffice on such a lightweight model.

The canopy was held in place by gluing a 2mm wire to the underside with "JB Weld". A 1" long 'blob' of adhesive is adequate.
The D60 servos were mounted in a tray so as to be just ahead of the rear of the canopy cut-out. (see picture).
The Hi-tec HS65MG flap servos is held in the pocket under the wing by double sided foam tape, and a piece of packing tape is placed over the servo and covers most of the pocket. A cut-out will need to be made in the wing saddle to pass the aileron connection through.
The receiver is mounted behind the servos, and is not accesible without removing the servos from their mount.

The motor chosen was a Hacker B20-26S with a gearbox, mounted in a PNC aluminum mount. I highly recommend the PNC mounts,. they really finish off the fuselage beautifully.
Fitting this mount involved removing the motor mount bulkhead molded into the pod, and careful work with a "Dremel" cutting wheel and sanding drum had it ready for the new mount in less than 5 minutes

The power is completed by a Aeronaut 11X6 folder and an Aeronaut 30mm spinner. (Both from Esprit Models). All run through a Jeti 11A ESC.

For a battery I use a 3s 900mAh HV by Hyperion, but I am not sure if these are still available. Any 3s 1000mAh thin battery should work, but space is tight.
The model balanced at 35% chord and has not needed any adjustment.

The total weight, ready to fly is 18oz and the power measured at the battery is 160W. I know I am pushing the ESC, but it has held up for 20 or more launches so far, and the climb rate is such that I only use a 12 second motor run for most flying.
If you want to use this for 2M electric ALES there is room behind the servos for a CAM unit alongside the receiver.

The model may be ordered with your choice of covering colors from the "Oracover range by contacting me at [email protected].

Iain
Hi rev.iain,
Re Element 2
Is this designed as a sport model or is it designed for a competition class and if so what class?
Is it an all moving tailplane with no separate elevator?
Are there flaps only on the wing with no separate ailerons or are these designed as flaperons?

When do CML have these scheduled for release in 2017?
Regards
Tony
Feb 04, 2017, 10:58 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
Thread OP
Tony.
the Element 2 is certainly contest capable.
the model has rudder, all moving stabalizer, and a flap operated by a single servo.
there are no ailerons.

The model is available now, I have sold 6 myself but do not have any in stock at the moment.
Try Aloft Hobbies, or CLM-Pro directly.

Iain
Feb 05, 2017, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain
Tony.
the Element 2 is certainly contest capable.
the model has rudder, all moving stabalizer, and a flap operated by a single servo.
there are no ailerons.

The model is available now, I have sold 6 myself but do not have any in stock at the moment.
Try Aloft Hobbies, or CLM-Pro directly.

Iain
Thanks, reviain,
Tony
Dec 22, 2017, 10:04 PM
Thanks for posting your build, I am curios as to how she flies there are no videos that I can find or anything else besides this build,I know she is going to be great I have one coming in a couple of weeks hopefully and am just looking for some more info
Last edited by parkham; Dec 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM.
Dec 22, 2017, 11:50 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Give us some specs : wingspan, wing area
Dec 22, 2017, 11:53 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Ref???
Dec 23, 2017, 02:33 AM
Camber down and screw it up.
Google is your friend.
CLM Pro Element 2 ARF
Dec 23, 2017, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the images of the model Rev.Ian, I have had one on order for over a month to use in the "Millenium Cup", a 2m event that has now gone electric and limited to 2 control surfaces and 180W, hopefully it gets here in time to enter the events in the new year. Alex
Jan 31, 2018, 08:03 PM
Recieved my element 2 strong 2 days ago what a beautiful sailplane the wings are unbelievable stiff no flex at all I finished her up today space is very tight so I cut a hole in the wing saddle and mounted the tailfeathers servos in a tray in there gave me alot more room,crammed a small 28mm outrunner in the nose very tight fit but works all out weight 18.8 oz going to replace the metal wing and stabilizer nuts with nylon to save a little weight,I am very happy with it can't wait to get her up in the air ,just waiting on the wind now

Quick Reply