Which would be a better first EDF, He-162 or A-10? - RC Groups
Sep 18, 2004, 06:32 PM
Certified cat herder

Which would be a better first EDF, He-162 or A-10?

I have been drooling over the EDF's on this site and others for quite some time, and I finaly have got the money together to buy my first EDF plane.

So I have narrowed it down to two choices:

either the Hobby Lobby He-162
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/salamander.htm

or the GWS A-10 w EDF 55 motor.
(need I post a link..... Nah..)

I have two considerations that I must have in an plane: First, it must be able to ROG (roll on ground). The club I fly at does not have any grass around it, so everthing has to take off and land off of a rather rough old-dirt runway.

Second: I fly at 4,000 feet of elevation. If it is too underpowered to ROG at sea level, it surly will not up here.

I am a farily new pilot (about 3 months under my belt) and so far I have about two hours on my Dandy sport without even breaking a prop (knock on wood). So I am trying to choose an EDF that flys fairly slow.

So for my situation, which plane would you recommend.

BTW, if you have any other plane to recommend, I am open to suggestions. I just took a look around, and these two plane seem to fill the bill.
Thanks in advance,
C. Alan
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2004, 06:37 PM
being a low time pilot I would think the A-10 is more forgiving (flies slower). ROG will be a issue with either as the wheels are not real large. that being said I think the A-10 would be better ROG, plus an easy HL. The HE btw does not have a steerable nose if memory serves me.
Sep 19, 2004, 11:52 PM
Certified cat herder
Thanks for the input. I am hoping that in the next few months, my club will put a slurry seal coat on our runway so the little wheels will work better.
--C. Alan