Blade Conspiracy 220 BNF by Horizon Hobby Review

The Blade Conspiracy 220 BNF is a pro level racing/freestyle machine that is pre-built and pre-tuned to provide great performance right out of the box...

Splash

Introduction

The Blade Conspiracy 220 BNF is a pro level racing/freestyle drone that is pre-built and pre-tuned to provide great performance right out of the box. Maybe you hate building or are tired of the countless hours it takes to get the tune just right. I know I'd rather be flying than tuning and that's where the Conspiracy 220 shines. It is ready to rock as soon as you charge your batteries. You don't even have to connect it to a computer! It includes quality electronics and extras for only $349. Horizon also sent a Blade backpack case and a killer tool set to check out so let's crack open the boxes and take a peek inside.

What's in the Box

When you open the box, you'll find the Conspiracy 220 fully built sitting in foam packaging. There are two sets of props (3-blade and 2-blade), an FPV antenna, the manual, and a hardware bag. All the electronics are pre-installed which means there is almost nothing to do to get it ready to fly.

Extras Included in the Review Package

Horizon Hobby sent some extra goodies along for the review. The Blade backpack is a nice edition for carrying lots of gear and it's carry-on size for airlines! The tool set is very nice and handy to take to the field.

Features

FPV Gear

The Conspiracy 220 doesn't come with cheap junky gear. The FPV equipment included is solid. It starts out with the highly regarded HS1177 camera with a 2.8mm lens installed. You also get a 200mw 37 channel video transmitter with race band. Even the antenna is awesome, it's a right hand CP omni.

Durable Airframe

One thing you want in a high speed racing quad is a durable airframe that can take a hit. The Conspiracy 220 is a unibody design with a single 4mm thick plate of carbon fiber providing the main support structure. It's extremely strong and will take plenty of abuse as you bash into trees, gates or the ground. The only downside with a unibody is if you break an arm you have to replace the entire plate.

Flight Controller

The flight controller installed is an FC32. It's just like a Naze32 and runs on Cleanflight so you can get in and tweak anything you like or even flash it to Betaflight or your preferred firmware. The best part is that it's already configured and professionally tuned so you literally don't have to connect it to the software, just take it out and fly.

Camera Options

Arguably the most import part of a racing quad is the camera setup since it provides the view for you to fly from. You can adjust the tilt angle from 0-45 degrees to get the perfect angle for your preference. The camera is also very well protected by the frame. They also included a nice carbon fiber action cam mount you can attach to the top front that allows you to mount a GoPro or similar camera for HD recording, very nice!

Power System

The Conspiracy 220 is no slouch on performance. They went with 2205 size motors at 2350kv and 5" props. On 4S it's got killer power. They provide both 2-blade and 3-blade props in the box and both work well with the 3-blade providing more thrust. The 20A ESC's are tiny and flashed with BLHeli firmware for fast response times. It's all high quality stuff here.

Final Assembly and Setup

You just need to take a few steps to get the Conspiracy 220 ready to fly. First, read the manual and get your radio setup exactly as it describes. I missed the part about reversing the Aileron and Rudder channels the first go around and quickly found out on the brief first flight which you'll see in the video below. Take your time and get it right. You can add the two plastic antenna protectors and install the props and that's it. It literally only takes a few minutes to get it ready even if you take your time. Here's a video where I go through the entire process.

Flying the Conspiracy 220

Flying the Conspiracy feels like most racing quads. It's using cleanflight software so those familiar with how that flys will be right at home. I prefer to use Air Mode, it's the middle position on the mode switch, which keeps the PID loops running even at low idle throttle input. It allows you to descend quickly and still have the flight controller keep the quads attitude the same.

It's nice having the camera tilt adjustment with easy access so you can change it based on your style. If you want to fly faster, just tilt the camera up more to be able to see forward. If you are flying a tight slow course or in a confined area, you can dial the camera tilt back as needed.

The tune on the Conspiracy feels a little hot on a fresh battery, but man does it rip around. The roll and flip rates are very fast, but not overly crazy, at least for me. I'm not sure if they have expo dialed in the FC settings or not, but it felt good around center stick for small minor corrections. On the first flight which you can see in the flight video below I over rotated on one of the first rolls as I wasn't expecting it to be so fast, but it's something you quickly adjust to. The controls just felt good after a few minutes of blasting around. With just a few packs of practice you'll feel very comfortable with it. You could show up to a race without having flown it, get a few practice laps in and be competitive on the first round. The flight times were around 3:30-4:00 minutes depending on how I flew. Even though the Conspiracy 220 is easy to put together, it's not for beginners to learn to fly with. This is a serious racing/freestyle drone and it is meant for intermediate to expert level pilots.

Flight Video

Photos

Conclusion

I am really liking the Conspiracy 220. I love that I didn't need to spend hours building it (I've done enough of that) and I really love that it's pre-tuned. I hate the tuning game, I just want to fly and this quad lets you do that. It not only flys, it flys well and is a serious contender at races. The components used are high quality and there is nothing you would need to replace. At $349 to get this kind of performance in a BNF model is simply amazing. If you don't like to build or tune, you need one. If you just want a great flying fast competitive racing drone, you need one, it's that good.

Pros

• Pre-built and ready to fly
  • Pre-tuned by experts
  • High quality electronics installed
  • HD1177 camera
  • Single Piece frame. Both a Pro and Con. Solid 4mm is very strong

Cons

• Single Piece frame. Both a Pro and Con. If you break an arm, you have to replace the entire plate

Nov 16, 2016, 07:37 PM
I'm absolutely loving mine. I'm learning to fly on this. The only thing I have broken has been the plastic body, so I got the red one. I personally think it makes a great quad to learn on as I'm doing just that. The bottom plate is super strong. I don't know what you'd have to do to break it as mine has been a champ through all my crashes. It's a great little quad. Obligatory pic with new frame.
Nov 17, 2016, 12:28 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Thanks for posting your experience! Nice pic too.
Nov 17, 2016, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Thanks for posting your experience! Nice pic too.
Thanks bud.
Nov 27, 2016, 12:22 PM

blade conspiracy 220 problem

Hi, I recently bought a blade conspiracy 220 bnf, I had a problem and it was
Reset the board, it would be possible for me to pass a txt file with the configuration of cleanflight from cli (DUMP).

my email [email protected]

Thank you very much.
Nov 28, 2016, 09:35 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Contact support at Horizon Hobby. They may be able to get you that file.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarps1973
Hi, I recently bought a blade conspiracy 220 bnf, I had a problem and it was
Reset the board, it would be possible for me to pass a txt file with the configuration of cleanflight from cli (DUMP).

my email [email protected]

Thank you very much.
This is in the other 220 thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=28
Dec 03, 2016, 12:01 PM
horizon has really been steping up to the plate lately in the quad world. nice to see a proper racer from them. The mach 25 was kind of a joke.
Dec 03, 2016, 06:48 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
i like the mach 25, so much i bought 2, only thing i changed , was to put a diff camera in her, she flys great
Dec 03, 2016, 07:27 PM
not saying its a bad model to fly, but in the serious racing world it wouldnt take the abuse very well.
Dec 19, 2016, 08:54 AM
I Fly!
Jason, so I my son (12 year old) has been flying RC planes and micro indoor quads since he was 6 years old and wants to start this Quad racing thing. Our club just setup a race course for quads and we have a great group of guys excited to have field setup and ready to fly in now (http://www.rocketcityrc.com/FPV.php).

For Christmas we got him the Blade Inductrix with the Blade Headset conversion goggles to use with the included 4.3" monitor , will these work with this camera on this quad? The serious racers in the club said to stay away from the Mach 25 and to build a quad, he is bit overwhelmed with figuring out a build and it looks like it could be almost as much as this RTF quad. I'm a HH guy and have had great luck with their products and customer support so I tend to keep going back to them.

Tool kit is neat, but $79, seems a bit steep.
Dec 21, 2016, 02:11 PM
Team E.F./Horizon/Castle/Pulse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb
Jason, so I my son (12 year old) has been flying RC planes and micro indoor quads since he was 6 years old and wants to start this Quad racing thing. Our club just setup a race course for quads and we have a great group of guys excited to have field setup and ready to fly in now (http://www.rocketcityrc.com/FPV.php).

For Christmas we got him the Blade Inductrix with the Blade Headset conversion goggles to use with the included 4.3" monitor , will these work with this camera on this quad? The serious racers in the club said to stay away from the Mach 25 and to build a quad, he is bit overwhelmed with figuring out a build and it looks like it could be almost as much as this RTF quad. I'm a HH guy and have had great luck with their products and customer support so I tend to keep going back to them.

Tool kit is neat, but $79, seems a bit steep.
Yes the Spektrum headset/monitor work with the Conspiracy 220, I've been flying mine this way with friends that are using $300+ dollar goggles, they have tried mine and were very surprised at how well they work. The Conspiracy 220 is an excellent choice to get started with, it flies extremely well right out of the box too. You can literally bind it and hit the track, definitely a good way to get started.
Dec 21, 2016, 11:20 PM
I Fly!
Awesome, Thanks for the feedback. I tried them at the LHS and thought they were pretty cool.

One other question, is there any reason to skip this size and go with a 250?
Dec 22, 2016, 12:43 AM
Team E.F./Horizon/Castle/Pulse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb
Awesome, Thanks for the feedback. I tried them at the LHS and thought they were pretty cool.

One other question, is there any reason to skip this size and go with a 250?
220 to 250 size are pretty popular so I honestly don't know what to say, you'll be flying in the same class either 3s or 4s, most racing groups go by battery voltage and prop size. If you're looking for something bind and fly that Horizon sells the Conspiracy and Blade Vortex 250 are both awesome and pretty durable.

Lee
Jan 20, 2017, 07:38 AM
Fly safe, fly often!

I'm somewhat surprised this thread has such little activity

I performed a search but I didn't find a "Conspiracy 220" thread - is this the "official" Conspiracy 220 thread?

I have one of these delivered next week - I hope it was a decent choice

I'm not looking for the best FPV quad out there - I just want something that's exactly like Jason described in his review

And, by the way, I thought the OP was an excellent review - thank you Jason Cole!

Fly often - fly safe - thanks

Quick Reply