ASW 28 V2 Electric Sailplane

This V2 ASW-28 is a hybrid foam and plastic model with a few nice upgrades over the V1. The wings and tail are EPO foam while the fuselage is blow molded plastic...

Splash

Sport Scale ASW-28

This V2 ASW-28 is a hybrid foam and plastic model with a few nice upgrades over the V1. The wings and tail are EPO foam while the fuselage is blow molded plastic which should give it a good blend of durability and performance. It comes in plug and fly so it doesn't take long to get it ready for flight. All the servos are installed, and it comes with a 4018 brushless motor and folding prop with a 30A ESC. You'll need to provide your own radio system and a 3S 1500mAH lipo battery to finish it off.

The battery can be accessed after removing the canopy that is secured with snap locks. The wings now have two spars to provide extra rigidity during loops and high bank turns. The wings are easier to install as well with a plastic latch to secure them in place. The room inside the fuse has been increased over the V1 so you can add FPV gear if that's your thing. They also added a wheel under the fuse for rolling landings.

Check out the ASW 28 V2 Electric Sailplane at HobbyKing.

Specs:

• Wingspan: 2540mm
  • Length: 1132mm
  • Flying Weight: 1050g
  • Motor: 4018-850kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
  • ESC: 30A w/BEC
  • Servo: 9g x 6

Nov 01, 2016, 02:39 AM
Surely with flaps this makes it an ASG29? Not to split hairs or anything
Nov 01, 2016, 10:13 AM
this space for rent
Are you guys going to review it? Seems like a fun airplane and would not mind having one!
Nov 01, 2016, 10:35 AM
RCG Staff
That would be up to HK. Does looks like a fun plane though.
Nov 01, 2016, 12:37 PM
What about the availability of parts? Is HK the only supplier for parts?
Nov 01, 2016, 07:18 PM
I've had two of the V1's. Amazing value for the money. Sloped one in Colorado for a week but it ended up in a tree as I got too confident.
Took the second one to Mexico to slope soar at the beach with good success. Durable but not bulletproof. Climbed very well and the motor is super quiet!
Very good thermal flier that can do a low pass and still make it around the pattern for a landing. It can be hand launched/caught with use of the flaps.

Adding an LG was unnecessary but OK why not...

IMO they have addressed the main issues with the old model in the V2. My main gripe was the wing attachment; the V1 required screws to attach the wing. These wore out with repeated flying sessions making slop in the wing connection. It was also annoying to keep track of the cheap little screws. Seems they have come up with a better solution in the V2.
This is a great glider to have in your trunk. Too bad thermal season is about over in the USA

I've just ordered it and would be happy to do a review if RCGroups needs a volunteer...
Last edited by pete914; Nov 01, 2016 at 07:30 PM.
Nov 02, 2016, 08:43 AM
pete914,

What do you mean thermal season in the US is almost over? For those of us in the confederacy some of the best conditions of the year begin now. Location, location, location... ;-)

I too left a V1 in a tree due to pilot error. My V2 is ready to go. I wish they hadn't wasted the effort on the landing gear but it can be easily removed. I aerotowed the V1 several times just using velcro for a tow hook and it takes off and lands just fine without a wheel.

This is a great glider for the money. I'd love to see them do a vintage glider using this construction and wing span. How about a Petrel, Sperber Junior or Nemere?

I hope to fly it, even catch some thermals, this weekend.

Posted from "The Sunshine State".

Take care,

Brent
Nov 08, 2016, 03:42 AM

ASw28 No control over servos

Hello, I have build the ASW28 correctly and connected all the right servo's to the right places.
I am very new to RC planes off this kind. I have a FlySky fsi6 controller and i have binded and powered everything on. When i turn my plane on i hear the servos move a little. But when i turn on my controller de channel 1 stuff starts buzzing and has very little control. I get some control in the aelerons by pushing the throttle up and down. Then i get really little movement. But i dont have any control of the horizontal stabilaliser or on the vertical stabilizer. Also i am not sure how to arm the engine. Has someone the same experience with these kinds of issues? On the same plane of different planes. I think that it maybe could be my reciever the FS1ab. I have solderd in it because i also use it for my quadcopter. Is it possible that this kind of error is caused by any kind of shortage in the reciever.

Thanks for your time please help!,

-Niels hoffland,
Nov 08, 2016, 04:29 AM
I have played around with the controls on my radio and i have now decent control. In my Flaps, Aelerons and rudder. But the servos dont go the full way. I think that i have to put the arms on when the servo's are turned good and then screw the arms on. But i dont want to turn my plane on now because the ESC got really hot. I is getting power but the engine is not using it. Does somebody know what the problem there is. I think i have to arm the engine before it can run. But the already wants all the power. This may could be because i was spinning the sticks in all dirrections so also to the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niels0608
Hello, I have build the ASW28 correctly and connected all the right servo's to the right places.
I am very new to RC planes off this kind. I have a FlySky fsi6 controller and i have binded and powered everything on. When i turn my plane on i hear the servos move a little. But when i turn on my controller de channel 1 stuff starts buzzing and has very little control. I get some control in the aelerons by pushing the throttle up and down. Then i get really little movement. But i dont have any control of the horizontal stabilaliser or on the vertical stabilizer. Also i am not sure how to arm the engine. Has someone the same experience with these kinds of issues? On the same plane of different planes. I think that it maybe could be my reciever the FS1ab. I have solderd in it because i also use it for my quadcopter. Is it possible that this kind of error is caused by any kind of shortage in the reciever.

Thanks for your time please help!,

-Niels hoffland,
Nov 13, 2016, 10:46 AM
Love V Tails!

Disappointed

So got this ASW28 last week put it together and took it to the field yesterday.
What a a brick! I was not able to fly it as we could not even get it to hand glide properly.

After struggling getting the CG on the recommended location I hand tossed it and had to give full up elevator and even then it would only glide a few feet and then drop like a brick!
Tried a little down flaps and it glided just a tad better, but needless to say I was never confident to launch it.

I like the looks of it and certainly would like to fly it so if anyone has experienced with it and has any recommendations I will certainly welcome any reccomendations. Thanks
Nov 14, 2016, 06:57 AM
It's time for me to fly
No experience with this model, but I don't usually trust the "recommended" CG location. Sounds like it's very nose-heavy. I've had a couple slope planes that would not fly when balanced according to the plans, and found the CG needed to be moved pretty far back. Measure the plane accurately and run the numbers through a CG calculator, see what you get. I've had good results with the one Curtis has on the Tailwind Gliders site, or the simpler one from Inland Slope Rebels.
Nov 15, 2016, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbone65

I like the looks of it and certainly would like to fly it so if anyone has experienced with it and has any recommendations I will certainly welcome any reccomendations. Thanks
Hi, if its not a mistaken CG it might be an uncorrect longitudinal dihedral.
I would check this. Here in some german RC forums some people spoke of similar problems caused by this.

- Frank