Oct 31, 2016, 05:25 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

TBD - The Inevitable Tomboy, Tomboy Glider, and Stretched Tomboy

I REALLY DONT LIKE TOMBOYS! Yes, I have owned one before, and had a lot of fun with it. Hopefully my building and flying skills have improved somewhat, and second time round is better. The previous one would fly beautifully sometimes, and at other times was just horrible

So, why build one? Well, the vintage club has a Tomboy climb and glide event at their fly ins, and after a year of indecision it is time to join the madness.

I don't think this is a completely normal Tomboy either- the wing has been changed a little, and I think the stab may be bigger. It comes as a laser cut kit, and everyone uses the same power train- so everyone has identical planes .

So, should be a fast straight forward build - and the covering will be as colorful as possible.

Some footage of my previous effort:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUx...&v=OLCjsSOg4_8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUx...&v=pHITpIDCGwI

Al
Last edited by owlsabie; Nov 10, 2017 at 09:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2016, 06:19 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
This'll be good Al - you will have to restrain your natural instincts to alter things! I'll post your entry.
Oct 31, 2016, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
My neighbor brought me my kit today - as you can imagine, there's not much to it. The plan is to have it done for early next year, but with a little fiddling each night who knows? I know one of these was built in a single 24 hour marathon
Oct 31, 2016, 11:38 AM
Next YEAR Owl?? Even I managed to build one in seven weeks, without the benefit of a kit and I am SLOW!
Oct 31, 2016, 12:12 PM
I like thermals
Hoorah! I love Tomboys! Never grow tired of them.
Oct 31, 2016, 12:37 PM
Thread OP
Well, I'm in no great hurry. The kit looks really good so far- itching to get started
Here's a link to the kit
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewto...?f=16&t=139637

Al
Nov 01, 2016, 02:05 PM
Hi Al. Is this TB enlarged by 10%? Looks like it has a lot of dyhedral , so should be very responsive on the rudder.
I'm thinking that maybe I could use my Reese wing? It's 36 inch and weighs about 30g.
Thanks
John
Nov 01, 2016, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
Hi John- yip, its supposed to be 10% bigger, but I will let you know when I get busy on the wing. It looks about the same size as I printed my old one out? The suggestion is also to reduce the dihedral somewhat.

My original Tomboy was a complete monster initially, pretty much uncontrollable. It actually rolled a couple of times before the wing eventually broke. Moving the balance forward and reducing throws helped a lot. Definitely had too much dihedral though.

This one will have dihedral worked out by George's rule of thumb- it seems to be pretty much always just right.

I'm sure your Reese wing will work a treat!

Al
Nov 02, 2016, 02:50 PM
Thread OP

wingspan

Hey there John- measured the wingspan, and its 40inches, so almost an exact 10% enlargement. There are enough ribs for the longer wing, so that's what we'll go with

The wing is somewhat different to the original. Upper and lower spars with shear webs, and turbulator spars. All good changes . The laser cut ribs are beautiful.

Al
Nov 02, 2016, 03:15 PM
So Al, is it just an extra 4 inches on the span, or has the whole model - i.e. fuselage, wing chord, tail - been blown up by 10%? I ask this because, of course, the original Tomboy was offered with two alternative wing spans, 36" and 44", but all other dimensions were the same for both wings.

The changes in wing structure sound sensible for R/C use.
Nov 02, 2016, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
George, the whole plan is enlarged by 10 %,, and the two wing span options remain. It is actually still the original plan, the changes are explained in a supplementary sheet. Spent an hour cutting spars and bits, so tomorrow evening should see the wing done
Nov 05, 2016, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
I've fallen a little behind schedule - work and the need to sleep have intruded a little on playtime. Then the power was off last night.

Had a good morning flying gliders, but dinged one up- so that will be repaired later, and then building will resume. Photos soon.....

Al
Nov 09, 2016, 01:01 PM
Thread OP

Still no photos

Still no photos posted! Sorry gents!

There is progress though- wings are done and ready for the center section, the tail feathers are done, and the strip wood for the fuselage is cut. The hour or so in the evening is working, and I'm hoping to have her ready to maiden in about 10 days. A friend is also building one, and has a complete airframe already, so the pressure is on.

With luck there'll be enough time this weekend to fire up the PC and post some pics

Al
Nov 10, 2016, 07:20 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Sounds like it is getting done fast to me.
Nov 12, 2016, 06:01 AM
Thread OP
Fuselage mostly done- time to get servos and motor mounted, and figure out where the lipo goes. Then a couple of details left, and time to finish the wing

Quick Reply