Oct 30, 2016, 02:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

F3RES Rules (with English translations)

I'm trying to make available our local American-style English translation of the F3RES rules. However, when I click on the document, which is a .docx file, RCGroups rates it as an "Invalid File"

Any help would be appreciated.

Yours, Greg
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2016, 02:44 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Give this a try.

Happy Landings,

Don
Oct 30, 2016, 03:05 PM
supreme being of leisure
if it's a different translation than what Don posted then you can convert it to a PDF with this: https://smallpdf.com/word-to-pdf

if you have open office then that can convert it to PDF as well. also a hundred ways to convert to a doc. but a PDF is always nicer.
Oct 30, 2016, 03:15 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
MS Word can also save as PDF.
Oct 30, 2016, 05:35 PM
The simplest way to do this is simply rename the file with an extension that RCG accepts. You don't actually have to make it a pdf, just rename it "xxx.pdf" from "xxx.docx" and let everybody know what to change the extension back to after they download it. If you really want to pdf it I use a free program called CutePDF that works great for creating all sorts of pdf files from other software.

Mark
Feb 26, 2017, 04:24 PM
Skye Malcolm
Can I ask does this doc that Don posted count as the official (ok that's tongue in cheek) rules for F3-RES in the US for 2017?

I want our club to be able to reference something official....maybe....and I'm not volunteering or anything....should someone set up the North American F3-RES 2017 League? Much like the ALES League which has been a successful way to harmonize and spread the word about that type of soaring competition.

Skye
Feb 26, 2017, 06:01 PM
There have been a couple of rule changes in the German/Austrian competitons for 2017: https://translate.google.com/transla...365/36-534.pdf
Mar 01, 2017, 06:32 PM
I've started following some of the F3RES discussion and there is some interest in my local club.

I have a question that I don't see specifically covered in any of the rule translations.

That is: Are composite (GFRP) full flying stab mounts permitted? I see that the X-RES kit which uses a wood fuze, actually has a composite stab mount. I have most of the bits for an Allegro Lite lying about and am thinking of just scratch building a pod and integrating the Allegro tail boom.
Mar 02, 2017, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
Raceskier:

I would allow it, no question. I wonder who in Europe is watching these things.

I can also envision an all-wood mount for a flying tail, but not on a boom-type fuselage.

Yours, Greg
Mar 02, 2017, 08:40 AM
The Baba Competition and Desire have the same, both models at the heart of the German/Austrian scene. I'm pretty sure that rule 2.1 (translation 'surface connection') refers to stab mounts as a carbon/glass/kevlar exemption ie permitted.
Mar 02, 2017, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys!
Mar 29, 2017, 06:58 PM
OK, another rules interpretation question for the group.

For wings, the use of composite reinforcement is pretty well covered. The same can not be said for the tail group. In the NOT allowed section there are references to no composite D-boxes or composite covered foam for wings or stabilizer. I see nothing specific either permitting or prohibiting the use of composite reinforcement of the stabilizer.

In following the Slite build thread, I see that the V-tail option uses a GFRP tube for the tail spars and the X-tail uses short lengths of GFRP tube to join the wood vertical to the boom.

Whadda you folks think?
Mar 29, 2017, 07:08 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceskier
OK, another rules interpretation question for the group.

For wings, the use of composite reinforcement is pretty well covered. The same can not be said for the tail group. In the NOT allowed section there are references to no composite D-boxes or composite covered foam for wings or stabilizer. I see nothing specific either permitting or prohibiting the use of composite reinforcement of the stabilizer.

In following the Slite build thread, I see that the V-tail option uses a GFRP tube for the tail spars and the X-tail uses short lengths of GFRP tube to join the wood vertical to the boom.

Whadda you folks think?
I'd say same rules for the tail as the wing, since the difference is not called out. No molded D-box's, foam or carbon trailing edges. Carbon spars, joiners & leading edges are legal.
Mar 29, 2017, 11:53 PM
supreme being of leisure
the rules clearly state (to me anyways) that the allowed materials are the same for both wing and tail.
Mar 30, 2017, 01:17 AM
InspiRES also is using for V-tail main spars composed from two carbon strips.

Quick Reply