Wood Crafter Annual REUNION - 2017 - 2018 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Oct 30, 2016, 07:32 AM
Registered User
Alert

Wood Crafter Annual REUNION - 2017 - 2018


The wheels are turning, the dates in June have been applied for and will be announced as soon as they become official. We had a huge number of entrants register last year, but the weather kept some away. Let's try again!

We were set up last year with Jack and his Winch/Retriever, individuals brought Hi-Starts and a Self Launcher. Jack is a star at keeping the air full of Sailplanes.
The electric powered sailplane pilots have separate events and that makes for a very busy and satisfying event.

..... Last year the two day enter fee was $15.00, same as this years. 😀😀

If your a Woody Builder, you are invited to attend this years event.
Check my Sky Bench web site for the Woody Rules and history of the many past Wood Crafter events I have sponsored. WWW.SKYBENCH.COM

The entry form has not been put together yet, but will be announced here and on the Wood Crafters page of my Sky Bench web.

Ray

Tom Tock and his electric powered OLY lll
Last edited by Ray Hayes; Sep 23, 2017 at 08:05 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2016, 10:46 AM
SSMA #01M9382, AMA #137824
HelloScott's Avatar
Woo Hoo!
Last edited by HelloScott; Nov 05, 2016 at 07:49 PM.
Oct 30, 2016, 03:53 PM
Registered User
Jim Deck's Avatar

Great News!!


I'll be there - it's fun.
Oct 30, 2016, 08:35 PM
Registered User
I would like to go to this event. Talk to a friend and maybe make it happen.
Oct 30, 2016, 08:35 PM
Registered User
Sweeeeeeeet!

I just finished the building the tail of my OLY II and will be starting the fuse this week. I should be ready to cover by next weekend.

I bought and built it so I could fly it with everyone at Woodcrafters!

Cant Wait! I'll have my OneWinch this year and if Wayne comes out I'm sure he'll have his too.

See you there!

John Sager
Oct 31, 2016, 09:10 AM
Registered User
A question came about ALES rules that might interest those that will fly in one of our EPower events.

First the Wood Crafters event is an AMA class C event. Check AMA web site rules for what that means.

The short answer... I have chosen not to have an ALES contest because it only has one size class ..... Unlimited. I will have an event program published after we receive an official date from AMA.

Flying at the AMA flying field in Muncie, IN is a real treat, hope to see you there. Some have used the Wood Crafters event to practice up for the Nat's .... Good Idea!

Ray

Trophy Photo Below in memory of the all female RC Soaring club.
Nov 01, 2016, 11:18 AM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Windependence's Avatar
Hi Ray, I am glad to hear you are planning another woody get together. This event just got put at the top of my "travel to" event list. I had so much fun last year how could I not want to go again.

Have you been able to replace your damaged 60" sailplane yet? For those of you unable to attend last years event, there were a couple of unfortunate accidents and Ray's 60" Lil' Bird was one of them. Maybe it was a Sunbird, I cannot recall. Either way it was an airframe he had been flying for decades.

The sooner you hear about the dates the better for me. I need a long lead time for vacation requests so please let us know as soon as you hear anything back from AMA.

Wayne - Already trying to decide which sailplanes to bring and what events to participate in.
Last edited by Windependence; Nov 01, 2016 at 04:33 PM.
Nov 02, 2016, 06:04 AM
Registered User
Wayne, I'm deciding if I want to repair or build a new one. I do have another Lil Bird 2 purchased from a widow several years ago that I'm currently flying. The Mini Hi Start
Contest will be run WC 2017.

This year I had to cancel the Saturday night Dinner, next year we will have a Dinner.
A long time flying buddy who has been working hard to promote RC Soaring since
the seventies is going to make sure it happens. Barb Robertson and her husband Bob
have been flying sailplanes for years and are great people. She will find the meeting room /
restaurant and help with other areas as well. Barb was a big part of the national wings organization for Women's RC Sailplane in it's formation.

What events are most appealing ? Input please.

Ray
Nov 02, 2016, 06:25 AM
Registered User
Gratter's Avatar
Ray,
I would be interested in attending but I am not a contest kind of guy so a fun fly would be something that would draw me. Any camping in the area?
Nov 02, 2016, 10:39 AM
Registered User
Even though I was there to watch and learn last year I really liked the format of ladder and longest flight for both winch and electric planes with no landing points. It made it so much more low key than having to worry about getting down in a certain amount of time and hitting a landing tape.

I competed in contests this summer where we had timed flight groups and landing points and it was fun but I think your contest, at least for me, seemed to be more casual and laid back with fly when you want rather than fly in a flight group. And if you do want to fly in a group there is always the high start event so there's a bit of that too.

So in my opinion I think don't fix what ain't broke and do the ladder and/or longest flight for both winch and electric all sizes, or maybe separate out standard class planes into its own category and everything above a certain wingspan into another for the ladder and longest flight. Also you should have the mini hi-start competition too.

Just my thoughts...
Nov 02, 2016, 11:55 AM
Registered User
Quick question on something that isn't covered in the rules.

Are carbon rod leading edges permitted?

The reason I ask is that many of the new German wood designs use a carbon tube spar (permitted as per the rules) and carbon rod for leading edges in their construction, but are otherwise wood built-up wings. This includes a number of the F3-RES 2m's along with several larger birds like the 2.5m Climaxx's and the Inside/Introduction F5J 2.9m
Nov 03, 2016, 03:33 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Quick question on something that isn't covered in the rules.

Are carbon rod leading edges permitted?

The reason I ask is that many of the new German wood designs use a carbon tube spar (permitted as per the rules) and carbon rod for leading edges in their construction, but are otherwise wood built-up wings. This includes a number of the F3-RES 2m's along with several larger birds like the 2.5m Climaxx's and the Inside/Introduction F5J 2.9m
Yes ......
Nov 03, 2016, 08:24 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
Ray,
I would be interested in attending but I am not a contest kind of guy so a fun fly would be something that would draw me. Any camping in the area?
Yes, AMA camping on the same field. Check out AMA website
Nov 27, 2016, 09:19 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Windependence's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes
Wayne, I'm deciding if I want to repair or build a new one. I do have another Lil Bird 2 purchased from a widow several years ago that I'm currently flying. The Mini Hi Start
Contest will be run WC 2017.

This year I had to cancel the Saturday night Dinner, next year we will have a Dinner.
A long time flying buddy who has been working hard to promote RC Soaring since
the seventies is going to make sure it happens. Barb Robertson and her husband Bob
have been flying sailplanes for years and are great people. She will find the meeting room /
restaurant and help with other areas as well. Barb was a big part of the national wings organization for Women's RC Sailplane in it's formation.

What events are most appealing ? Input please.

Ray
I would definitely keep the mini hi-start event. It looked like a lot of fun and I plan to participate in it next year, provided you do it. I would keep the ladder and longest flight events. Standard class and Unlimited for both string launch and e-launch in each event seemed reasonable. I would keep the aerotow too. I might drop the 6 minute e-launch event as I am not sure how many people participated in it and there would be no shortage of classes and events without it.

I know there were a lot of people there on Friday. Maybe an informal something on Friday evening for everyone who shows up early.

This is number 1 on my event list for 2017. Hope everything works out for next year.

Wayne
Nov 28, 2016, 06:49 AM
Registered User
Steve Merrill's Avatar
What are the event(s) for electric powered woodys?


Thread Tools