Jul 13, 2019, 08:50 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Your desert version is looking great Herr! Rub some dirt and grease around it and wipe excess and it's ready to go! Don't worry about the stickers too much.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2019, 09:30 AM
Was there a printed manual in the Bf-109? Honest question, I don't remember when I built the first one but the second did not have a manual.
Jul 13, 2019, 09:55 AM
Beach Bum

Airstrip Material

I just went and tested airstrip material that was very effective. Do not have enough length for landing onto, but I do not foresee a problem. Used tent stakes to keep it stretched out and under tension.
Material is used for sunshade on patios and decks that have a structure to attach to. Also used for privacy-windblock when installed on existing fences.
Material meets my requirements, it's effective, lightweight and transportable on backpack, blends in with surroundings, easy to setup and take down.
I figure a roll that is 6'x50' will suffice. At $40 - $60 it will be a worthwhile investment. It's impossible to land on bare sand without nosing over and risking damage.
In video the takeoff area is all uphill at waters edge. Using full-right aileron as speed increases. I throttled up too hard and fast, plane dragged a wingtip and dipped 90 degrees at takeoff. Luckily my thumbs knew what to do and plane did not auger in, even though it was sideways and two feet off the ground. This is when using a dual-rate can be a planesaver, full trows for take offs.
Durafly BF-109 airstrip material test. torque roll take-off (0 min 36 sec)
Last edited by Steve FliesLow; Jul 13, 2019 at 10:41 AM.
Jul 13, 2019, 10:53 AM
Beach Bum
For comparisons sake, here is the Durafly Spitfire MK5 1100mm. Using same technique, get motor started then go straight to full throttle, half-flap. What a beautiful flying plane!
Durafly Spitfire. airstrip material test (0 min 31 sec)
Jul 13, 2019, 11:36 AM
Wow surprised you can find that deserted of a beach in July! Surprised that it will not land on packed wet sand.
Jul 13, 2019, 11:38 AM
Takka-Takka-Takka
Great save Steve! As you said that torque roll on take off has killed many a model warbird, of all sizes. The runway material reminds me a bit of the temporary airstrips that were laid with matting in forward areas during WWII. If you;re using them to land on as well as take off, that's pretty accurate flying.
Jul 13, 2019, 11:41 AM
Well, despite my stressing out over the application of the details, and the false placement of all the German crosses, it is still an absolutely beautiful plane...

I apologize again about all the freaking out. I did see that yes, those instructions are in the online BF-109 manual(which I was having to follow on the iPad, which kept locking out, annoyingly.. I should have just printed them out.. ) I added a few of the smaller decals, and feel like I'm pretty good at it now...

It pains me a bit that the crosses are wrong, as this was meant to be a scale plane decoration (at least initially) more than a flyer.. But it still looks stunning, and is to me nice to look at, and will still look good on the wall - or in the air - if I ever get that far.. I have a few things to sell, then want to get the E-flite 1.2m P-47 as a first plane with retracts... The Bf-109 would not be a good first plane to take off and land on wheels with, I know.. I was just messing about on the pavement, and the rear wheel steering is not good as it is now set up... Details for later. For now though, it's a great looking plane, despite the effing wrong cross placement...

I was never a big Bf-109 fan either. Always preferred the FW-190(up there very close to the P-47 for my favorite warbirds..) Reading A Higher Call and The Star of Afrika about Marseilles though got me into them...
Last edited by Herrsavage; Jul 13, 2019 at 11:48 AM.
Jul 13, 2019, 12:29 PM
Beach Bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Wow surprised you can find that deserted of a beach in July! Surprised that it will not land on packed wet sand.
It's always deserted to mostly deserted all year. Few people like to hike it, and during the daytime heat with bugs, a ditch crossing and scorching sand it can be brutal.

I figured the same with packed sand but the margin of success is too low and the risk is great. Even at lowest tide the sand does not pack well due to the steeper slope. And that slope is adjacent to saltwater, pockmarked with crabholes and their spoil deposits. Add in beach flying conditions such as wind and the 'dirty air' blowing off the backside of dunes, makes for critical flying conditions with this type of plane.
After 20 years I still get nervous flying fast planes around saltwater. Having to make a landing approach over waves and then over shorebreak can be too exciting, too risky.
Jul 15, 2019, 09:41 PM
nsr500v
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I just went and tested airstrip material that was very effective. Do not have enough length for landing onto, but I do not foresee a problem. Used tent stakes to keep it stretched out and under tension.
Material is used for sunshade on patios and decks that have a structure to attach to. Also used for privacy-windblock when installed on existing fences.
Material meets my requirements, it's effective, lightweight and transportable on backpack, blends in with surroundings, easy to setup and take down.
I figure a roll that is 6'x50' will suffice. At $40 - $60 it will be a worthwhile investment. It's impossible to land on bare sand without nosing over and risking damage.
In video the takeoff area is all uphill at waters edge. Using full-right aileron as speed increases. I throttled up too hard and fast, plane dragged a wingtip and dipped 90 degrees at takeoff. Luckily my thumbs knew what to do and plane did not auger in, even though it was sideways and two feet off the ground. This is when using a dual-rate can be a planesaver, full trows for take offs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFjiTqUreIw
Try a heaver battery pack all the way until the strap just holds the back with some Velcro on the deck webs or add a half ounce of weight inside the cowl ring for your 109. it looks tail heavy and maybe why it torques worse than the spit . I have both also and never noticed the 109 being any different on take off from the spitfire
Jul 15, 2019, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsr500v
Try a heaver battery pack all the way until the strap just holds the back with some Velcro on the deck webs or add a half ounce of weight inside the cowl ring for your 109. it looks tail heavy and maybe why it torques worse than the spit . I have both also and never noticed the 109 being any different on take off from the spitfire
I only few mine twice before receiver problems but the first flight I had the battery ass end right about where the velcro strap is. I nearly ground looped it but got off the ground and it flew nose heavy. Second flight I moved the battery back about one inch and it was a night and day difference. Take off was easy and predictable and flew awesome. Unless you have a problem then this plane should not need lead. I was using a 4S 2200 so I guess if you battery is lighter perhaps.
Jul 15, 2019, 11:38 PM
nsr500v
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
I only few mine twice before receiver problems but the first flight I had the battery ass end right about where the velcro strap is. I nearly ground looped it but got off the ground and it flew nose heavy. Second flight I moved the battery back about one inch and it was a night and day difference. Take off was easy and predictable and flew awesome. Unless you have a problem then this plane should not need lead. I was using a 4S 2200 so I guess if you battery is lighter perhaps.
I have used a 4s 2200 admiral with it as far forward as it will go and it fly's effortlessly with the elevator trim level off a hard matted rubber runway using 45 deg for take off and landings ..20 plus flights
Jul 17, 2019, 08:15 AM
Beach Bum

Operator error

Regarding that torque roll take-off video. I forgot about an important aspect before launching. This was the first flight since being repaired from hitting the water and being dumped onto beach by shorebreak. Wingtip was broken, elevator hinge broken, aileron hinge broken and aileron has a twist that I cannot get out. Left aileron twists upward.
It should have been dialed in before attempting hard launch. It did behave better before crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsr500v
Jul 17, 2019, 08:28 AM
Beach Bum
Working on putting together the Battle of Britain BF-109.
Replaced elevator servo with metal gear digital.
Debating on replacing aileron servos with same.
Removed ESC to soak in Corrosion-x and cut away heat shrink from heat sink for better cooling.
Motor removed to coat bearings in C-X
Coated circuit board and all servo connections in CX.
Added RTV sealant to base of wires soldered to circuit board (can come off due to poor attachment or too much handling).
Drilled holes in exhaust stacks to match holes in fuselage.
Applied decals and started marking panel lines and rivets with extra-fine sharpie.
Made clear servo protectors for ailerons.
Jul 19, 2019, 06:29 AM
Beach Bum

On sale

Desert scheme on sale 20% off. Code BF205 Expires July 25. Makes it about $175. Not as good as the flash sale but still a good price.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/durafly-...D,FA0PK,33NH,1
Jul 19, 2019, 09:15 AM
Good looking Cook+Maid needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Desert scheme on sale 20% off. Code BF205 Expires July 25. Makes it about $175. Not as good as the flash sale but still a good price.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/durafly-...D,FA0PK,33NH,1
Do I really need the Desert Scheme 109?

Quick Reply