The Opterra 2m Flying Wing - RC Groups

The Opterra 2m Flying Wing

It's big, it has a pure bred pedigree, it's FPV friendly, it has AS3X - what's not to like?

Splash

The Opterra flying wing is the collaborative effort of George Hicks and Mike McConville.

Together George and John have created some of the best flying RC airplanes in the world. The Opterra is lightweight, has a long wingspan and efficient aerodynamics. It has a wide range of capabilities that includes everything from sport aerobatics to soaring. It gives you the ability to put yourself in the pilot’s seat with FPV gear while using a GoPro to record HD video at the same time. The Bind-N-Fly version comes with the added benefit of a Spektrum AS3X.

  • FPV/HD camera ready
  • Up to 3 camera mounting stations
  • Available SAFE Select flight envelope protection(BNF Basic version)
  • Plug-in wing and winglet sections for easy transport
  • Brushless motor with folding prop installed
  • Spektrum AS3X receiver with SAFE Select technology (BNF Basic Version)
  • Digital metal-geared servos installed
  • Carbon-reinforced, hollow-core construction with durable Z-Foam material
  • Lightweight design with a wide performance envelope
  • Vortex generators for better slow-speed stability and control authority

Specs

  • Wingspan: 78.3 in
  • Length: 40.8 in
  • Wing Area: 1033 sq in
  • Flying Weight: 67 oz
  • Receiver: DSMX®/DSM2® with AS3X® and SAFE® Select Technologies (installed in BNF Basic version)
  • Receiver: Full-Range 6+ Channel (required for PNP)
  • Motor Size: 10-Size Brushless Outrunner (installed)
  • Recommended Battery: 2200-3200mAh 3S 11.1V LiPo with EC3™ Connector (sold separately)
  • Experience Level: Intermediate

Photos and Video

E-flite Opterra™ 2m Wing BNF Basic & PNP (3 min 11 sec)

Learn More

Hit the Horizon site to learn more.

Thread Tools
Oct 28, 2016, 03:35 PM
Registered User
parajared's Avatar
Interesting,
3s 3ah on a 2 meter flying wing. That must make for a pretty floaty platform.
Is this something that is intended to fly like a thermal ship?
By comparison:
1.5 meter fx 61 is often flown with 15ah of 4s.
2 meter x-8 is often flown with 20ah 4s
Oct 28, 2016, 03:47 PM
TBS Crossfire or DragonLink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared
Interesting,
3s 3ah on a 2 meter flying wing. That must make for a pretty floaty platform.
Is this something that is intended to fly like a thermal ship?
By comparison:
1.5 meter fx 61 is often flown with 15ah of 4s.
2 meter x-8 is often flown with 20ah 4s
I was about to mention that also!
Obviously these two dudes that collaborated together
do not fly FPV much.
That SpeKtrumASX3 with a lot of batteries-mah- and big floaty-2meter-Wing
is not up to par for distance....but pretty neat for a 2 meter wing for "SPORT" acrobat flying?!?!?
Another plane that is being SOLD via BLADE without the consideration
from FPV users.

Who are those 2 dudes anyways? I would like to talk to them here!
Oct 28, 2016, 03:56 PM
Admin Deluxe
Jim T. Graham's Avatar
George Hicks is a well established RC designer that works in in full scale aviation. Mike McConville has been designing planes for Horizon for years. They aren't just RC designers, they are a couple of great guys that know their way around a plane.

George Hicks has been flying radio-controlled airplanes for over 20 years and has been competing in aerobatics since 1994. His love of model airplanes and desire to understand the intricacies of flight resulted in a Bachelors and Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering from Mississippi State University in 1997. During this time George worked at Raspet Flight Research Laboratory as an engineering research assistant where he was involved with numerous projects such as Honda's all carbon-graphite business jet (UA-5) and Micro UAV development.

Mike McConville
Nationals Champion
Giant-Scale Pylon Racing World Champion
A Cincinnati, Ohio native with over 18 years experience in the Hobby industry, Mike moved to Champaign, Illinois in 1996 to design and develop airplanes for Horizon Hobby. He has designed more than 50 aircraft. Mike won his first U.S. Pattern Nationals in 1981 when he was just 16 years old, and since then has dominated at nearly every level of competition: 8-time TOC competitor and 2-time finalist, an IMAC U.S. Nationals champion, 6-time F3A U.S. Team Trial competitor, Giant-Scale Pylon Racing World Champion, and a winner of more than 200 pattern and IMAC events. Though his competition has been primarily in aerobatics and racing, Mike has a love for all aspects of model aviation and enjoys flying all types of models, both fixed wing and helicopters.
Oct 28, 2016, 04:12 PM
Registered User
wayfaringdreamer's Avatar
I too wondered why they designed it around such a small battery.
Oct 28, 2016, 04:13 PM
TBS Crossfire or DragonLink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
George Hicks is a well established RC designer that works in in full scale aviation. Mike McConville has been designing planes for Horizon for years. They aren't just RC designers, they are a couple of great guys that know their way around a plane.

George Hicks has been flying radio-controlled airplanes for over 20 years and has been competing in aerobatics since 1994. His love of model airplanes and desire to understand the intricacies of flight resulted in a Bachelors and Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering from Mississippi State University in 1997. During this time George worked at Raspet Flight Research Laboratory as an engineering research assistant where he was involved with numerous projects such as Honda's all carbon-graphite business jet (UA-5) and Micro UAV development.

Mike McConville
Nationals Champion
Giant-Scale Pylon Racing World Champion
A Cincinnati, Ohio native with over 18 years experience in the Hobby industry, Mike moved to Champaign, Illinois in 1996 to design and develop airplanes for Horizon Hobby. He has designed more than 50 aircraft. Mike won his first U.S. Pattern Nationals in 1981 when he was just 16 years old, and since then has dominated at nearly every level of competition: 8-time TOC competitor and 2-time finalist, an IMAC U.S. Nationals champion, 6-time F3A U.S. Team Trial competitor, Giant-Scale Pylon Racing World Champion, and a winner of more than 200 pattern and IMAC events. Though his competition has been primarily in aerobatics and racing, Mike has a love for all aspects of model aviation and enjoys flying all types of models, both fixed wing and helicopters.
Great to know about these 2 dudes Jim!
They are very well established.
Can you have them PM me and I will privately tutor them on
the hobbiest FPV aircraft section (in a professional way).

When I get this plane, I will tell them how far I got with the
SpeKtrum receiver thats included in this aircraft

I'm betting you that my RVJET (from RangeVideo) will out perform
this WING in all aspects of "FPV"! 100%

....but its great to have another wing to buy from BLADE.
Thank you for another GREAT FPV Airplane PRODUCT
Oct 28, 2016, 04:43 PM
Registered User
parajared's Avatar
Quote:
I'm betting you that my RVJET (from RangeVideo) will out perform
this WING in all aspects of "FPV"! 100%
That depends on how you define "out performs." My Parkzone Radian "out performs" my mini-talon in that I can get a couple of hours of flight time off just a little 1ah 3s battery; the drain of the video transmitter ultimately being what drains the battery down as the motor is used only once to get up to thermalling height.

Lets say the Opterra flies like a sporty Radian that can hold 3ah instead of 1ah. I think that would be pretty cool.
Oct 28, 2016, 04:45 PM
TBS Crossfire or DragonLink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared
That depends on how you define "out performs." My Parkzone Radian "out performs" my mini-talon in that I can get a couple of hours of flight time off just a little 1ah 3s battery; the drain of the video transmitter ultimately being what drains the battery down as the motor is used only once to get up to thermalling height.

Lets say the Opterra flies like a sporty Radian that can hold 3ah instead of 1ah. I think that would be pretty cool.

hahaha,
Jared, you are way beyond these 2 dudes that created this plane
in my honest opinion....I'm pretty sure everyone that FPV that knows
you here (all your honest and helpful input)
Oct 28, 2016, 04:46 PM
Registered User
parajared's Avatar
here's an example of a thermal glider wing, it's a totally viable way to do FPV in my opinion.
Record flight [6 hours / 200km] SOLAR powered Plane / FPV / Drone / RC / Aircraft (5 min 3 sec)
Oct 28, 2016, 05:09 PM
Thelongranger
deltapilot's Avatar
Airframe only may be nice. As3x no thanks. Thing is begging for a vector, 1.3, and uhf.
Oct 28, 2016, 05:22 PM
TBS Crossfire or DragonLink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapilot
Airframe only may be nice. As3x no thanks. Thing is begging for a vector, 1.3, and uhf.
I agree x500, but the 2 dudes that invented this 2m Wing
have no idea what those equipment(s) are....if they did know?

I'll buy just the wing, no electronics with it.
Oct 28, 2016, 06:32 PM
FWIW, the Opterra is designed to be a versatile combination of a powered glider, sport aerobatic and FPV platform (not JUST an FPV platform). And there's plenty of space inside the center section/fuselage to mount larger batteries, telemetry gear, sensors, FPV gear, etc. Mind the CG, don't exceed the capabilities of the airframe (which likely go beyond what's recommended) and there's a lot you can do with it!
Oct 28, 2016, 06:35 PM
And the video is live now

E-flite Opterra™ 2m Wing BNF Basic & PNP (3 min 11 sec)
Oct 28, 2016, 07:00 PM
Also, there seemed to be some confusion regarding the 2 available versions in other threads so here's some additional info:

PNP (Plug-N-Play) includes airframe, motor, ESC and servos. REQUIRES RECEIVER, transmitter, battery and charger
http://www.horizonhobby.com/opterra-...pnp-p-efl11175


BNF (Bind-N-Fly) Basic includes airframe, motor, ESC, servos and receiver. REQUIRES transmitter, battery and charger
http://www.horizonhobby.com/opterra-...sic-p-efl11150


In this case the BNF Basic version includes a Spektrum AR636 receiver with AS3X and SAFE Select technologies (http://www.horizonhobby.com/ar636-6-...eiver-spmar636) which is usually sold separately for $79.99, for only $30 more than the PNP version (which does not include the receiver).
Oct 28, 2016, 08:30 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
I'll take the airframe, and nothing else. I already had one bad experience with an eflite folding prop, and I don't think I want to repeat it.


Thread Tools