Eachine Pioneer E350 - full review / mods / owners' thread - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jan 05, 2017, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdshell
some footage from firefly 6s.
before the crash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpNQlLWF_-U&t=189s

this one i did today. -15 and strong winds, a lot of jello.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I50LZzaFf8

it seems the motors survived undamaged, i didnt get any additional vibrations. but still i had to dissemble one motor so i could get rid of dirt inside which got there after the crash.
I am glad you sorted it out!

And damn you are brave taking this thing that high so early on!

I usually need to clock at least 2-3 hours flight time around me before I can trust it to take it that high!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2017, 10:05 AM
Arxangel , did you try to adjust it's PID s? Or autotune feature? i dont like how it descends when the vertical speed is above 3 m/s. Too wobbly
Jan 05, 2017, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Arxangel , did you try to adjust it's PID s? Or autotune feature? i dont like how it descends when the vertical speed is above 3 m/s. Too wobbly
I haven't messed with PIDs yet because I actually like how it flies as it is. Keep in mind that the PIDs might be more suited to a copter loaded with a gimbal, Vtx and camera! As for the wobbly descent... try moving forward as well as descending, this will eliminate the shaking and wobbles.
Jan 05, 2017, 12:38 PM
yeah. i noticed that pioneer's frame is asymmetrical and front arms are longer. maybe with stabilized gimbal it will fly better.
but i am going to install zippy compacts, which will shift weight further back...
they are stil on the way from hk.
Jan 05, 2017, 12:45 PM
Unregistered User
Quote:
and about gps shielding.
i did some experiments -
1) shileding with addition of copper tape + grounding to the ps reciever's negative wire:
- a lot of 3dlock reconnects, poor fix stability
2)shileding with addition of copper tape + grounding to the battery negative wire:
-no significant effects vs. stock emi shielding fabric
3)shileding with addition of copper tape
-no significant effects vs. stock emi shielding fabric
Hello Birdshell, Arxangel,

For noise suppression, have you considered ferrite toroid?

I chose one these videos because of relevance to RC, but there are other articles and tutorials on it.

Ferrite toroids for RC planes (10 min 4 sec)

Basics of Ferrite Beads for Filters, EMI Suppression, Parasitic oscillation suppression / Tutorial (11 min 52 sec)

I've enjoyed reading the thread.

Cheers
Jan 05, 2017, 12:55 PM
As of this moment I have not noticed any issues with excess noise on the copter...

My idea about the gimbal was that it will add weight, and more weight will change the way the copter behaves! Right now it may be shaking because the PIDs are too high for its weight and its overshooting. When youa dd more weight the PIDs will no longer overshoot and will descend more smoothly! In any case, descending in a straight line will always cause the copter to wobble because it is literally moving through disturbed air that the props are pushing down, and they going through it!

If you try moving forward while descending you will see how much smoother the descend would be, and you can actually descend much faster that way.
Jan 05, 2017, 01:49 PM
GOT WINGS
Descending straight down through the prop wash - disturbed air will cause some wobble with most quadcopters, with some it can get bad enough to cause a crash. That wobble is called Vortex Ring State - caused by descending through "dirty" air.
Jan 06, 2017, 10:36 PM
Attention friends. My quadcopter had an assembly issue which led to a crash.
Yesterday received my E350, charged the battery and went to a running track near my home. Did level, accelerometer and compass calibrations via mission planner. Started the quadcopter, switched to GPS Loiter mode and WHAM! Quadcopter becomes uncontrollable, flies away and crashes badly. Result - broken leg, bent propellers and minor damages to the lower body.
Yesterday I've been repairing it with epoxy adghesive.
And today morning i've opened the quad, and found out that compass has not been attached to FC body! Apparently there was a small piece (3x2 mm) of shock-absorbing foam on the place, where compass mounts to FC, which prevented it from sticking to the FC body. So the main two-sided sticker of the compass did not attach to the controller body properly, and fell off during transportation.
I scrached away these traces of the foam, and stick the compass to the FC body again. Now it's sitting rock-solid.
Last edited by dovcharov; Jan 07, 2017 at 01:26 AM.
Jan 07, 2017, 10:49 AM
Damn... only goes to show that you really need to do a thorough check on most stuff coming from China before you go flying! This is definitely not something for someone wanting to plug in a fly!

Actually that crash could have been prevented by simply switching out of loiter mode back into the stabilized one... would have cancelled the crazy behavior.
Jan 07, 2017, 11:48 AM
Man, I'm a total noob, and this was my first flight . I started flying in Stabilize mode, then felt that I'm losing control, and switched to Loiter... And copter started flying away. I thought this was because I lost control previousely, and swithced to RTL... which actually made things worse, because quad started accelearing to climb up. Result - crash into a tree, and then fall on the road... Everything took 5 seconds and I totally didn't know what to do.
Today after I've re-attached compass everything went much smoother. I also made a number of adjustments in Mission planner - like reduced climb speed and acceleration, reduced reaction speed to RC commands, increased speed a little bit in Loiter, selected Yaw of the quad to follow GPS course, etc. I liked this quad a lot - because I can adjust every parameter

Nevertheless, the assembly quality is not very good. My rear-left LED light is not working properly - the plug which sits on LED light wires is not quite good. I can repair this later. Also, you need to check that all screws are properly tied - I already lost two. Luckily the spare screw kit is not expensive at all.
Jan 07, 2017, 11:55 AM
Well I did so a full disassembly of mine while I was making the review, so I tightened every bolt well enough... but yes, a few weren't that well tightened in the factory!
Feb 06, 2017, 03:56 AM
Well, after working on Pioneer E350 for some time, I managed to make a successful flight with video.
Link to main camera video -
Полёт над Алуштой 5 февраля 2017 (9 min 53 sec)

Link to telemetry video -
Полёт над Алуштой 5.02.17 - телеметрия (9 min 54 sec)

My adjustments to E350:
1. Tided up cabling inside quadcopter with plastic holders, especially compass cable
2. Attached receiver antenna with hot glue to the bottom inside quadcopter
3. Soldered the non-working LED light in rear left ray
4. Installed DIY antivibration for flight controller using window insulation rubber and 3M foam stickers.
5. Strengtherned USB-telemetry ports on the bottom of the quad with epoxy glue
6. Installed 3-axis HACKRC brushless gimbal (Storm32), and connected Yaw and Pitch ports to the bottom port of the quad. Now I can adjust pitch and yaw of the gimbal from remote. I use Gitup Git2 action camera.
7. Installed OSD telemetry and 433MHz 500mw datalink (legal in Russia). Soldered special 2-in 1 converter cable to connect OSD/telemetry, or OSD alone to the bottom port of the Pioneer.
8. Installed Aomway switchable VTX (25|200|600 mw).
9. Balanced motors with small patches of insulation tape.
10. Made a number of adjustments to FC parameters with Misson Planner for camera drone.

Still need to:
1. Get Zippy Compact 3S 5000 25C batteries for longer flight times
2. Get DJI Phantom 3 propellers
3. Get propeller balancer, and balance props to clean out vibrations
4. Install normal antivibration stand for FC
5. Install Beltian BN-880 GPS/Compass module
6. Make AutoTrim and Autotune with finalized setup.
Last edited by dovcharov; Feb 06, 2017 at 04:02 AM.
Feb 08, 2017, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovcharov
Well, after working on Pioneer E350 for some time, I managed to make a successful flight with video.
Link to main camera video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AevJ86PvblU
Link to telemetry video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGwjx3cZUr8

My adjustments to E350:
1. Tided up cabling inside quadcopter with plastic holders, especially compass cable
2. Attached receiver antenna with hot glue to the bottom inside quadcopter
3. Soldered the non-working LED light in rear left ray
4. Installed DIY antivibration for flight controller using window insulation rubber and 3M foam stickers.
5. Strengtherned USB-telemetry ports on the bottom of the quad with epoxy glue
6. Installed 3-axis HACKRC brushless gimbal (Storm32), and connected Yaw and Pitch ports to the bottom port of the quad. Now I can adjust pitch and yaw of the gimbal from remote. I use Gitup Git2 action camera.
7. Installed OSD telemetry and 433MHz 500mw datalink (legal in Russia). Soldered special 2-in 1 converter cable to connect OSD/telemetry, or OSD alone to the bottom port of the Pioneer.
8. Installed Aomway switchable VTX (25|200|600 mw).
9. Balanced motors with small patches of insulation tape.
10. Made a number of adjustments to FC parameters with Misson Planner for camera drone.

Still need to:
1. Get Zippy Compact 3S 5000 25C batteries for longer flight times
2. Get DJI Phantom 3 propellers
3. Get propeller balancer, and balance props to clean out vibrations
4. Install normal antivibration stand for FC
5. Install Beltian BN-880 GPS/Compass module
6. Make AutoTrim and Autotune with finalized setup.
Your mods sound good. Good job!

I would question the addition of Phantom 3 propellers though! I have tried flying with original Phantom 3 props, and they are 1-2 grams heavier than the Chinese clones... and even if they are well balanced... the copter feels the difference, and so do I! That is why I am sticking to the stock/Chinese Phantom 3 clone props, because they are lighter, and once you balance them properly using a good balancer like the DuBro, they are just as balanced as the original Phantom 3 props.
Feb 09, 2017, 10:13 AM
My E350 is dead. 2 days ago, during evening flight I suddenly lost communication with the drone, and in 5 seconds it crashed in the yard. Review of videos has shown, that it was a bird attack.
I am not sure if I want to repair it yet.

Here's the video, how it all happened
Black Hawk Down (4 min 8 sec)
Last edited by dovcharov; Feb 10, 2017 at 06:36 AM.
Feb 09, 2017, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovcharov
My E350 is dead. 2 days ago, during evening flight I suddenly lost communication with the drone, and in 5 seconds it crashed in the yard. Review of videos has shown, that it was a bird attack.
I am not sure if I want to repair it yet.
Damn that sucks big time!!! Any chance we can see that video?

So sorry to hear about this! I've never had birds attack anything I've been flying so far!