Eachine Pioneer E350 - full review / mods / owners' thread - Page 10 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 16, 2017, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
First things first: I'm gonna try it again on another field, just to make sure there wasn't any interference. But for now, the trust in this thing has completly gone.
I know how you feel! Sadly that is always the risk we take with stuff from China! Sadly there are hardly any alternatives... at least not at this price!

Not sure interference could cause such behaviour. I guess you could connect it to Mission Planner and try to do an accelerometer calibration via the PC, but the manual, see if that helps as it doesn't require the copter to be flying.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2017, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel
I know how you feel! Sadly that is always the risk we take with stuff from China! Sadly there are hardly any alternatives... at least not at this price!

Not sure interference could cause such behaviour. I guess you could connect it to Mission Planner and try to do an accelerometer calibration via the PC, but the manual, see if that helps as it doesn't require the copter to be flying.
Mmm, that might be a good idea.
Jun 16, 2017, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Just back from the maiden and to put it bluntly: it sucks

Did the compass calibration first and took off; everything okay. It hovered okay it only a very very very light breeze. Not rock solid like I'm used to with the XK X380. While trying to get a feel for the quad and spinning it around it started to get twitchy and at one point it just lost altitude (I was in altitude hold + GPS) and no matter how much throttle I gave it just went down. After that I tried to recalibrate the gyros but according to the manual a part of that is to take off and hover. Well that didn't go really well. Quad kept tilting over backwards when I applied more throttle to take off. In the end I got it in a hover again, but it went thru it hind-legs again and even cartwheeled over the field while I did my best to try and shut down the motors.

All in all: very bad first experience. I don't really like this quad
I'm starting to have the same feelings. The first thing that happened on mine is the mini-USB connector broke on the bottom of the drone. The metal housing that surrounds the connector pulled out when I removed the cable. While I can still connect to the USB connector the cable is not secured and has a tendency to move about causing intermittent connections. This causes all sorts of problems when trying to calibrate the compass using Mission Planner.

From there I am seeing problems like the "eyes" not lighting up even though I see 8 sats via Mission Planner and I have yet to get it to go into compass calibration using the method described in the manual. Last but not least I cannot get the telemetry modules to connect with each other even though both have green lights indicating power and my computer does see the USB module.

Banggood was johnny on the spot when they thought it was only a USB cable that needed replacement but when I sent them videos and an explanation of all the problems they have gone radio silent. It doesn't bode well for future purchases from them if I can't get decent customer service. I'd rather pay more and get something that works with good customer service.
Jun 16, 2017, 03:50 PM
Can anyone give me specifics on the actual flight controller module in this drone? I am using Mission Planner to flash the firmware and want to make sure I've got the right module.

MP asks if this is a linux board, which I assume it's not. It asks if it's APM 2+. That one I'm not sure about.

Any help is much appreciated.
Jun 17, 2017, 08:26 AM
GOT WINGS
I finally got to do a couple of test flights yesterday late afternoon. I used the stock battery both times and flew in a windbreak area about 100 x 200 feet, winds were still probably 10 to 15 mph out in the open. Lots of trees around so I kept it in the windbreak area. I have not done any calibrations. Timed both flights.
First flight was with stock props. Took a couple of minutes for the GPS to connect. Hover with GPS on and the quad drifted all over the place, no good GPS hold at all, not even when I had the quad in the best area of the windbreak. And the quad bounced around and was very jittery in the wind. GPS loiter mode didn't even work as well as the CX-20 does. Was not happy with the way it flew at all. Flight was about 11.5 minutes.
While waiting for the battery to recharge, I flew the Aosenma CG035 in GPS loiter mode. It hovered in place very well, hardly any drift at all.

Second flight of E350 the GPS locked on almost immediately even though I connected the battery under some trees. While waiting for the battery to charge, I changed to some Walkera QR X350 props that I had been using on my CX-20. Those props are about 9 inches long, probably have less pitch than the stock props, and much less surface area. The wind was a little lower and it was getting dark. The LED lights are fairly good for night flying. This time the GPS loiter mode worked very well and the quad was not bouncing around or jittery at all. I know the props make the effects of the wind less, but I don't think they make that much difference on the GPS loiter hover. X350 props are balanced, I have not balanced the stock props. This time the flight lasted about 12.5 minutes, but other variables keep me from attributing that totally to the props. Was fairly pleased with how it flew this time.
I hope I get to fly it soon in almost windless conditions at home where I have lots of open space.
Jun 17, 2017, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waclark57
I'm starting to have the same feelings. The first thing that happened on mine is the mini-USB connector broke on the bottom of the drone. The metal housing that surrounds the connector pulled out when I removed the cable. While I can still connect to the USB connector the cable is not secured and has a tendency to move about causing intermittent connections. This causes all sorts of problems when trying to calibrate the compass using Mission Planner.

From there I am seeing problems like the "eyes" not lighting up even though I see 8 sats via Mission Planner and I have yet to get it to go into compass calibration using the method described in the manual. Last but not least I cannot get the telemetry modules to connect with each other even though both have green lights indicating power and my computer does see the USB module.

Banggood was johnny on the spot when they thought it was only a USB cable that needed replacement but when I sent them videos and an explanation of all the problems they have gone radio silent. It doesn't bode well for future purchases from them if I can't get decent customer service. I'd rather pay more and get something that works with good customer service.
Damn... so much stuff going wrong! The quality variation with these is stunning! I wonder if you would have more success connecting the telemetry if you open up the copter and connect the air unit directly to the flight controller rather than going via the external connector?

Quote:
Can anyone give me specifics on the actual flight controller module in this drone? I am using Mission Planner to flash the firmware and want to make sure I've got the right module.

MP asks if this is a linux board, which I assume it's not. It asks if it's APM 2+. That one I'm not sure about.

Any help is much appreciated.
I think this is the controller in there: http://www.robotshop.com/en/globalfl...ompatible.html
Or something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
I finally got to do a couple of test flights yesterday late afternoon. I used the stock battery both times and flew in a windbreak area about 100 x 200 feet, winds were still probably 10 to 15 mph out in the open. Lots of trees around so I kept it in the windbreak area. I have not done any calibrations. Timed both flights.
First flight was with stock props. Took a couple of minutes for the GPS to connect. Hover with GPS on and the quad drifted all over the place, no good GPS hold at all, not even when I had the quad in the best area of the windbreak. And the quad bounced around and was very jittery in the wind. GPS loiter mode didn't even work as well as the CX-20 does. Was not happy with the way it flew at all. Flight was about 11.5 minutes.
While waiting for the battery to recharge, I flew the Aosenma CG035 in GPS loiter mode. It hovered in place very well, hardly any drift at all.

Second flight of E350 the GPS locked on almost immediately even though I connected the battery under some trees. While waiting for the battery to charge, I changed to some Walkera QR X350 props that I had been using on my CX-20. Those props are about 9 inches long, probably have less pitch than the stock props, and much less surface area. The wind was a little lower and it was getting dark. The LED lights are fairly good for night flying. This time the GPS loiter mode worked very well and the quad was not bouncing around or jittery at all. I know the props make the effects of the wind less, but I don't think they make that much difference on the GPS loiter hover. X350 props are balanced, I have not balanced the stock props. This time the flight lasted about 12.5 minutes, but other variables keep me from attributing that totally to the props. Was fairly pleased with how it flew this time.
I hope I get to fly it soon in almost windless conditions at home where I have lots of open space.
Hm, you say the first time around you didn't calibrate anything, it may be possible that the flight controller is setup to automatically calibrate the compass, so possibly the first time around it was doing that. Using smaller props with less prop area, and especially if they are a bit more flexible would certainly help tame the copter down and would produce less vibrations.
Jun 19, 2017, 01:19 PM
Finally got mine out for a decent fly in light winds. Jeez, it's a beast to control! At first I tried it in altitude hold and it was fine, though it was mightily twitchy and snappy. I switched to GPS and it was fine, really held position quite well.

I then tried it in headless mode. It revved up, climbed, then shot towards me at full speed narrowly missing my head. I had absolutely no control over it, it crashed behind me.

I tried again, altitude hold was 'OK' it kinda hovered at one height though at one point it dipped down, bounced it's skids off the grass then got in the swing of it again.

I then tried the RTL feature, I flew it 50 yards away and hit the switch, it went up in the air (so far, so good I thought) it started coming towards me (very good I thought). It got overhead and I lost sight of it in the sun. When I got my vision back it was going round behind me as it was hunting for a place to land, it eventually landed and flipped over. A semi-success :-/

I tried it in AH again to try a few landings, every single time it flipped over on landing. Honestly, who tests these things? The skids are just not long enough. I have a plan for that but why should I need to extend the skids???

I thought I'd try the GPS mode again. Well it was fine until I hit the switch, I raced off in reverse at a high speed, I was frantically flicking switches but had no control at all. It crashed in the long grass and I spent 10 minutes looking for it.

To say my confidence is shot is an understatement.

I still cannot connect it to Mission Planner on my Macbook. I tried QGroundControl as it's supposed to better for a Mac. It wasn't: It does not "automatically detect and connect" it won't do anything even though I tried all I could think off.

Why, oh why did I let myself get lulled into the idea of setting up missions in APM? Should have gone with my gut and got the Hubsan H501S!!

Rant over
Jun 19, 2017, 04:01 PM
Arxangel, thanks for the response. It's hard to say what's really going wrong here. Banggood seems to think it's the flight controller and they are offering to send me a new one. The only downside of that is 1) I have to do the replacement which doesn't seem particularly hard 2) it doesn't fix the broken USB connector and 3) without fully understanding how to use Mission Planner with this flight controller I could wind up right where I am now.

Yes that link you gave me is the FC but what's not entirely clear (because I'm a noob with a lot of this stuff) is whether the FC is APM or APM 2+. I'm starting to believe it's just APM which may explain why the FC isn't operating correctly.

Overall there are things that I like and I do believe for the price point this drone does have some quality features. I like that the FC is connected using modular connectors instead of being hard soldered. That makes for easy replacements.

I've told Banggood that I want a replacement or refund and we'll see how they respond. My last resort will be to accept the FC replacement and give that a try.
Jun 19, 2017, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teig
Finally got mine out for a decent fly in light winds. Jeez, it's a beast to control! At first I tried it in altitude hold and it was fine, though it was mightily twitchy and snappy. I switched to GPS and it was fine, really held position quite well.

I then tried it in headless mode. It revved up, climbed, then shot towards me at full speed narrowly missing my head. I had absolutely no control over it, it crashed behind me.

I tried again, altitude hold was 'OK' it kinda hovered at one height though at one point it dipped down, bounced it's skids off the grass then got in the swing of it again.

I then tried the RTL feature, I flew it 50 yards away and hit the switch, it went up in the air (so far, so good I thought) it started coming towards me (very good I thought). It got overhead and I lost sight of it in the sun. When I got my vision back it was going round behind me as it was hunting for a place to land, it eventually landed and flipped over. A semi-success :-/

I tried it in AH again to try a few landings, every single time it flipped over on landing. Honestly, who tests these things? The skids are just not long enough. I have a plan for that but why should I need to extend the skids???

I thought I'd try the GPS mode again. Well it was fine until I hit the switch, I raced off in reverse at a high speed, I was frantically flicking switches but had no control at all. It crashed in the long grass and I spent 10 minutes looking for it.

To say my confidence is shot is an understatement.

I still cannot connect it to Mission Planner on my Macbook. I tried QGroundControl as it's supposed to better for a Mac. It wasn't: It does not "automatically detect and connect" it won't do anything even though I tried all I could think off.

Why, oh why did I let myself get lulled into the idea of setting up missions in APM? Should have gone with my gut and got the Hubsan H501S!!

Rant over
Check to see if after all that crashing all the electronics inside are in their place!

Quote:
Arxangel, thanks for the response. It's hard to say what's really going wrong here. Banggood seems to think it's the flight controller and they are offering to send me a new one. The only downside of that is 1) I have to do the replacement which doesn't seem particularly hard 2) it doesn't fix the broken USB connector and 3) without fully understanding how to use Mission Planner with this flight controller I could wind up right where I am now.

Yes that link you gave me is the FC but what's not entirely clear (because I'm a noob with a lot of this stuff) is whether the FC is APM or APM 2+. I'm starting to believe it's just APM which may explain why the FC isn't operating correctly.

Overall there are things that I like and I do believe for the price point this drone does have some quality features. I like that the FC is connected using modular connectors instead of being hard soldered. That makes for easy replacements.

I've told Banggood that I want a replacement or refund and we'll see how they respond. My last resort will be to accept the FC replacement and give that a try.
OK, a replacement controller sounds fine! It should be APM2.5+ even. You can actually do all the calibrations and setup before you install the controller in the copter, just plug the USB cable to the controller directly! If you open up your copter, you can try that right away, just unplug the USB connector and plug the cable coming from your computer.
Jun 19, 2017, 06:34 PM
GOT WINGS
I finally had the wind die down to less than 10mph, maybe less than 5mph, and got to go out and try the E350 in some wide open space. I used the VOP 3300mah 35C battery and all white Walkera QR X350 props. I timed the flight, but I flew it gently for most of the flight.
The white props did not help with orientation at all with clouds in most of the sky. Only tried manual, altitude hold, and GPS Loiter modes. All worked well, in manual, this quad moves fairly fast and has very good yaw speed. I had problems with orientation a few times because of the cloud cover, and when it landed I had trouble getting one prop to stop spinning, the other props were stopped by deep grass. Everything else worked well as it should. I took it easy because of problems others have been reporting, but I had almost no problems. I timed the flight at 19.5 minutes and the quad went down within 30 seconds after low voltage Lights blinking started. This is the first full flight for this battery so it may get better, and I could possibly break 20 minutes if I took off the landing gear. The battery at rest measured 3.58 volts per cell, not too bad.
I had one other set of X350 props and I used permanent markers to make them orange and black. Looks like somebody went and cleared out the remaining QR X350 props at Banggood. I think you will like them. You do have to drill out a thin top hole on the props because they fit on M5 size threads, but the bottom part of the prop hub is shaped like DJI and E350 prop mounts. Picture of the props and battery:
Name: ze350propsbat.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 219.7 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Jun 19, 2017 at 06:49 PM.
Jun 19, 2017, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Check to see if after all that crashing all the electronics inside are in their place!

OK, a replacement controller sounds fine! It should be APM2.5+ even. You can actually do all the calibrations and setup before you install the controller in the copter, just plug the USB cable to the controller directly! If you open up your copter, you can try that right away, just unplug the USB connector and plug the cable coming from your computer.
Yes I did figure out you can direct connect to the flight controller which might be the saving grace for this drone. Since the bottom USB connection is flaky I figure I can just plug right into the controller should I need to. If I can get the telemetry connections working then maybe I won't have to use the USB connection.

Do you (or anyone else) know if I can do all the configuration via the telemetry connection or do I need to be hard connected to the FC?
Jun 20, 2017, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
I finally had the wind die down to less than 10mph, maybe less than 5mph, and got to go out and try the E350 in some wide open space. I used the VOP 3300mah 35C battery and all white Walkera QR X350 props. I timed the flight, but I flew it gently for most of the flight.
The white props did not help with orientation at all with clouds in most of the sky. Only tried manual, altitude hold, and GPS Loiter modes. All worked well, in manual, this quad moves fairly fast and has very good yaw speed. I had problems with orientation a few times because of the cloud cover, and when it landed I had trouble getting one prop to stop spinning, the other props were stopped by deep grass. Everything else worked well as it should. I took it easy because of problems others have been reporting, but I had almost no problems. I timed the flight at 19.5 minutes and the quad went down within 30 seconds after low voltage Lights blinking started. This is the first full flight for this battery so it may get better, and I could possibly break 20 minutes if I took off the landing gear. The battery at rest measured 3.58 volts per cell, not too bad.
I had one other set of X350 props and I used permanent markers to make them orange and black. Looks like somebody went and cleared out the remaining QR X350 props at Banggood. I think you will like them. You do have to drill out a thin top hole on the props because they fit on M5 size threads, but the bottom part of the prop hub is shaped like DJI and E350 prop mounts. Picture of the props and battery:
Attachment 10134563
Nice! I haven't tried mine with a larger battery yet. It is nice to know what I can expect.

Quote:
Yes I did figure out you can direct connect to the flight controller which might be the saving grace for this drone. Since the bottom USB connection is flaky I figure I can just plug right into the controller should I need to. If I can get the telemetry connections working then maybe I won't have to use the USB connection.

Do you (or anyone else) know if I can do all the configuration via the telemetry connection or do I need to be hard connected to the FC?
Yes, you can do pretty much everything via the telemetry... not sure about the ESC calibration though... but everything else would not be a problem.
Jun 20, 2017, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Will do. It's already been apart to fix the starboard rear light (which has failed again) It did have a few hard landings!

ARX, do you not have issues with it flipping on landing? It has so much overhang I feel it's inevitable so, like I say, I will be extending the skids.
Jun 20, 2017, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teig
Will do. It's already been apart to fix the starboard rear light (which has failed again) It did have a few hard landings!

ARX, do you not have issues with it flipping on landing? It has so much overhang I feel it's inevitable so, like I say, I will be extending the skids.
Check to see if the connector to the board is not soldered on well!

I have not experienced any flips on landing, BUT I land manually every time, and I have disabled the motor start on ARM feature that spins the motors slowly after you arm the copter. Usually this makes the props act like a parachute, and if there is wind... guess what... a flip! Also, I did install a gimbal pretty early on, so it has brought some weight to the front... not sure which way yours flips, but mine feels OK when I land it.
Jun 20, 2017, 10:23 AM

E350 --- Is this ípenny wise and pound foolish'?

Hi,
As siriusflier, my E350 lost control and crashed...
GPS, alt hold worked very well until just before crash
Flight time total 7min by using 3600mah 60C lipo.

And my E350 would not send a signal for gimbal pitch and roll

'
Eachine E350+G-3D=CRASH! (2 min 58 sec)
'