Small Talk: Micro Heli daily chatter, comparisons, stories & flight tips - RC Groups
Oct 26, 2016, 07:04 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
Discussion

Small Talk: Micro Heli daily chatter, comparisons, stories & flight tips

I thought I would start this thread to see if there is interest in general chatter & stories about backyard and indoor micro heli flying and the micro lifestyle. Not necessarily technical or brand specific, mainly just a place to get together for chatter, comparisons, bragging, posting photos and videos.

Topics might include:

General backyard flier small talk
Heli comparisons & selection advice
Flight & stunt tips
Photos or an inventory list of the fleet
Personal progress - get your pats on the back here
Funny stories
Wish lists and what you wish they made
Bragging
What's new
How to hide the extent of your heli addiction from your wife
Where to get psychological help

- It's pretty hard to be 'off topic' in this thread, so start a new topic! -
Last edited by BirdBarber; Oct 27, 2016 at 04:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2016, 07:04 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
I've been flying for 3 1/2 years and am definitely a member of the heli of the month club, I have over 70 helis. I mostly fly backyard 3D. My current favorites are the K110 for it's amazing handling, the HCP100S for it's unmatched power and a brushless Master CP because it's tough and is a 250 that can be flown in a small yard.

I'm currently working on perfecting tic tocs and funnels. They are good sometimes and messy most of the time. I need consistency. I should be doing more sim time but the K110 is so tough it's about as cheap to fly as a sim.
Last edited by BirdBarber; Oct 26, 2016 at 07:16 PM.
Oct 26, 2016, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBarber
I thought I would start this thread to see if there is interest in general chatter & stories about backyard and indoor micro heli flying and the micro lifestyle. Not necessarily technical, mainly just a place to get together for chatter, bragging, posting photos and videos.

Topics might include:

General backyard flier small talk
Heli comparisons
Flight & stunt tips
Photos or an inventory list of the fleet
Personal progress
Funny stories
Bench Racing
Bragging
What's new
Where to get psychological help
I'm just here for the last one on the list
Oct 26, 2016, 07:26 PM
Jungle man flyer
Today I replaced the main grips bearings of my hcp100s. They gone to bearings heaven because the crash was on dirt and they are not sealed.
I used sealed ones instead of stock ones as replacement.
Bearing specs for hcp100s grips: 2x5x2.

Everything in rotor head is smooth so far. Still putting it together after last crash.
Oct 26, 2016, 07:27 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by halicopter
I'm just here for the last one on the list
lol, at least you admit it! We all need help.
Oct 26, 2016, 07:30 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
@warlikeofchaos

I haven't had problems with HCP100S bearings but massive problems with V977/K110 bearings. Especially the blade grip bearings, the balls keep falling out. I need to find better quality ones but have been too lazy (why be looking when I could be flying).
Oct 26, 2016, 07:30 PM
BB I'm with you on the k110 being a real life sim and if you stuff it in hard enough you will have to do repairs
And it flies fine with a little vibs it's so well behaved
Oct 26, 2016, 07:33 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsen.gl
BB I'm with you on the k110 being a real life sim and if you stuff it in hard enough you will have to do repairs
And it flies fine with a little vibs it's so well behaved
I recently realized that I haven't used the sim for quite a while like I used to. Then realized it was when I got the K110s I stopped simming. You can really learn a lot from a predictable heli that only costs a couple of cents per crash. I just didn't get that on the sim, there was nothing to risk and no panic induced dumb thumbs like in real life.
Oct 26, 2016, 07:36 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
What I would really like is for Walkera to come out with a current generation micro. Something along the lines of a HCP100S with Walkera handling. I have always been a fan of their old stuff. Much better handling than most.
Oct 26, 2016, 07:40 PM
Yep lol I stopped using the sim too but my sim is rchelisim it is a ok free sim BUT that xk beat it by a couple of lightyears
Oct 26, 2016, 07:44 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
Nobody seems to make a realistic micro sim, so I just take a 700 and crank the physics speed all the way up. It does an ok job and is much easier to see than the tiny mircos they always use without any sort of 'micro zoom' so you can see them. It's hard to practice inverted orientation if you can't tell if you're inverted or which way you are oriented.

There are a lot of micro fliers out there. The first sim to get it right might have a much bigger potential customer base than the others.
Oct 26, 2016, 07:48 PM
Hi my name is Rick, and Iím a heliholic
Been flying heliís bout four years now between work and family mainly on weekends. I use to fly gliders back in the mid 70ís. But a few years back the Syma 107g caught my eye and I was hooked. Slowly I worked my way up to FP with my Blade 120sr and now to cp with my k110. I love itÖ.
Oct 26, 2016, 07:55 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
I started on 2 meter gliders too, back in the 80s. I had a Gentle Lady and a HOB 2T (that I never finished). Then I did RC cars with my boys when they were growing up in the 90s. Then I bought a cheap co-ax heli from Newegg for someone's Christmas gift 4 years ago then decided to give them something else. It sat in a closet for a few months, so I tried it. The next month I had a V911 and it went insane from there. Where were these when I was a kid?
Oct 26, 2016, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBarber
I recently realized that I haven't used the sim for quite a while like I used to. Then realized it was when I got the K110s I stopped simming. You can really learn a lot from a predictable heli that only costs a couple of cents per crash. I just didn't get that on the sim, there was nothing to risk and no panic induced dumb thumbs like in real life.
Bamm! I started flying my k110 and have hardly touched the sim now! It's the most confidence inspiring heli I've ever flown.

I'm only somewhat sick as I only have 4 hcp60, 2 hcp100s, 3 k110, 3 k100 and one awesome k120. Oh and my blade 230s. Still have not tried it out! Too scared still, but that's probably dumb. I can fly the others forward, flips, rolls loops, and reverse flight.

Working on mastering reverse flight then onto inverted hovers then inverted flight then backwards inverted flight. Started in February, so I have a lot of learning to do still!

Killed one of my hcp100s yesterday. Well, needs a tail boom and tail motor prop.

I adjusted the tx as noted by a reviewer on here and wouldn't you know it keeping it at a level altitude worked!

I was flying some mid speed circuits enjoying that flying blender (sure sounds like one) and then bam! Dang tail whipped around for no reason. Smashes on my roof, hit hold, but too late.

On the ladder I went to retrieve it from the gutter. Tail boom was jammed between the head and swashplate. Tail wire wrapped around the main shaft and tail motor long gone who knows where.

What is with the tails on my hcp100s I just don't know. Not fun to fly because of this. Once I repair it I may sell both and all spares plus batteries. My k120 is so much more fun and been surface for me so far. Oh well.
Last edited by Thickfog; Oct 26, 2016 at 08:13 PM.
Oct 26, 2016, 08:07 PM
I look at planks in the Web shops would like to buy a few and don't mount any stuff I them and hang them on the wall as display models