Jan 18, 2017, 10:02 PM

Update

Ok. A new year and new efforts. I renewed my efforts to make an EDF gyro this past week. I will post some pictures tomorrow. I am still in the design/build stage, so not completed. I will give a hint. IF you use your imagination, it looks somewhat like an AH64. Till tomorrow.
Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2017, 06:14 PM

new attempt

Here are some pictures of my latest effort. I have no plans to use in building .this. I am designing as I build.
Jan 19, 2017, 06:18 PM
PSALM 14:1
Keep after it!
Jan 19, 2017, 06:19 PM
The rotor mast will consist of a plywood tower about 6 inches above the black disc on the fuse top. The rotor system has a diameter of 60 inches.
Jan 19, 2017, 06:28 PM
The photos show a commercial metal control head. Also pictured is one I built from brass stock.I plan on only using roll control. Pitch will be by the horizontal stab on side of tail. The verticle stab and rudder have a 45 degree sweep. The blue area you see will be the rudder. One of the pictures show some dimensions. You will note that on the right hand side I wrote.. Shorten 10 inches. Like I said. I design as I build.
Last edited by orvie6; Jan 21, 2017 at 10:36 AM.
Jan 21, 2017, 05:23 PM
Hmmmm. Not many comments yet. The only one that commented was by friend Sammy from here in Ohio!
Anyway, nearly completed. I took it out in my hallway to get a couple of pictures. Should be able to take it outside for some taxi test and check rotor spinup tomorrow. Until then, have a good weekend.

Wayne
Jan 21, 2017, 05:49 PM
G'Day Wayne
I think that the lack of responses to your project "may" be because of the completely different line you are taking. I have been watching with great interest ,but unable to give any advise or opinion simply because I have never seen a project like this.The thought of a EDF unit mounted in an autogyro does not fit in with what I would consider a slow flying model.....but I hope you prove me wrong....good luck with your project.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Jan 21, 2017, 06:11 PM
Thanks Chris. I agree that it is an entirely different concept. I do not expect this to be a fast flying model. As we know that rotor creates a lot of drag an I am hoping that the edf has enough power to make this fly. Edf's by nature are far less effective than prop motors. This is done as a self challenge. Just to see if it will work. I do not expect anyone else to build one of these. Not saying someone won't do it, but not planing on making plans for this.

Wayne
Jan 21, 2017, 06:14 PM
Intake ducts big enough as to not starve the fan?

What edf unit is it?

I wonder if the vertical tail/rudder is large enough?
Jan 21, 2017, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
G'Day Wayne
I think that the lack of responses to your project "may" be because of the completely different line you are taking. I have been watching with great interest ,but unable to give any advise or opinion simply because I have never seen a project like this.The thought of a EDF unit mounted in an autogyro does not fit in with what I would consider a slow flying model.....but I hope you prove me wrong....good luck with your project.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Wayne
Like Chris I'm watching and liking the design and use of materials
Please try and get video of any tests, I find video helps me with my attempts at building from scratch
Joe
Jan 22, 2017, 12:05 PM
Sammy, yes the intake area is about 105 percent. Hard to tell by the pictures. The fan is the 90mm Wemotec Midi. The vertical area is a little larger than the blue and white 'little wing' and it flies nice. Both models use the same rotor. In the process of making a new set of blades. Have to scratch build those too, since Flying Balsa is no longer in business.
Jan 24, 2017, 01:39 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Also watching with interest.

so, my comment:-

WOW, interesting project, not sure how it will work out in the air but you are getting top marks for looks and thinking outside the box....

Good luck and keep posting.

Paul

Jan 24, 2017, 05:55 PM
Been raining here all week. Decided to give this thing some color. I know a dark green is not the popular color for an autogyro, but seem right for this model. This has a 60 inch rotor span with a 19 plus square foot disc area. It weighs about 6 1/2 pounds. Disc loading of around 6 oz. per square foot. I need to finish my new rotor blades so I have a spare set. Will try to get a picture of both my large gyros together tomorrow.

Wayne
Jan 24, 2017, 07:04 PM
Looks good Wayne, I just hope you can keep track of it.
Jan 25, 2017, 03:20 PM
Raining again today, but did get the big ones out for a couple of pictures. Will work on the rotor blades while weather is bad. May be awhile before another post.

Wayne
Last edited by orvie6; Jan 25, 2017 at 04:05 PM.