Jet Gyro - RC Groups
Oct 26, 2016, 12:24 PM
Idea

Jet Gyro

This past June, while attending an EDF event, my buddy brought out his autogyro after the jet flying was finished. I was hooked! After returning home I began learning the ropes about gyros. I built a couple models of the Whippet, as well as a few others. I have had fairly good success.
I have been designing and building foam edf jets for several years and my buddy, Jimmy, and I decided to try and build an edf model to take to next years edf fly in.
We are working independently and he is doing his own design. What you see here is the idea I am going with.
Last edited by orvie6; Oct 26, 2016 at 12:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2016, 12:53 PM
Here are some more pictures. The jet model has a rotor span of 60 inches, weighs 4 1/2 pounds and has a 90mm fan. It uses the same rotor as the blue and white one in the photos. Any comments and recommendation are always welcome.
Wayne
Oct 26, 2016, 08:01 PM
G'Day Wayne.
Nice project's that you have taken on. That looks a pretty good looking head plate on the blue and white model. Have you flown the ducted versions yet ?
Happy Landings
Chris...
Oct 26, 2016, 08:36 PM
Hello Chris. I have only done some taxi runs with the edf one. I am able to get the nosewheel off the ground, but not the entire aircraft. I think I may have too back tilt in the rotor. This is my prototype model, so I expect many changes before it is complete. Like was mentioned in the first post, this is being done as a form of self challenge. As Jimmy and I are EDF pilots as well, we decided to see if we could mix an eff and gyro. Jimmy may have better luck with his as he is going to go with like the Subsonex w/o the wing and a rotor instead.
Oct 26, 2016, 09:22 PM
Wayne,

That is really cool. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm really interested to see this fly.

Bryan
Oct 26, 2016, 10:33 PM
Watching with great interest
Have a BD 5 fuselage I was thinking of converting
How did the little wing fly?
Oct 27, 2016, 03:07 PM
Hey fellas, I need some help with my hinge material. I made the head with 1/8 inch ply with plastic between. As I was testing the gyro a little while ago, one of the blades flew off! The gyro was still on the ground, so no other damage done. I took the head apart and saw that the other two blades were about to separate also. Does anyone know of a commonly available plastic I can use as a hinge? Or should I use fibreglass plate like the delta plate head? The picture shows the head. I have only used this head a short time. I know there is a lot of stress on the hinge. Is there another material I can use as a hinge?
Thanks for any help offered.
Wayne
Oct 27, 2016, 03:15 PM
The little wing gyro seems like it will fly ok. The only time I actually flew it, it lacked power. So I have put it on hold until I get a larger motor for it. The blades and hub are the ones I am using on the jet version. The one that threw the blade this afternoon.
Oct 27, 2016, 05:21 PM
I think it is called polypropelene, but you can find it in those flexible kitchen cutting mats. I know this was used a few years back in many of the early successful single rotor autogyros.

Really cool project. Can't wait to see some flight video!
Oct 27, 2016, 10:58 PM
Polypropylene is available from McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-p...heets/=14scq7n

Bryan
Oct 28, 2016, 04:10 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Hi,

Years ago people cut the plates from the top of sandwich boxes (Tupperware) because it remains flexible and is around the correct thickness for that kind of head. The popular HobbyKing C30 head also comes with that kind of hinge material, however, if you look around here most people have gone onto the delta G10/ FR4 plates for this size of AG. 0.8 mm is a good thickness, can be cut with scissors and you can even buy suitable plates ready cut and drilled from Coolwinds in the UK. A quick search here will find you a template (I think that it was in one of Rich’s designs) in .PDF if required.

Also, if the HK head doesn’t flick your switch, have a look at the Crane Fly .PDF for a simple cheap way to make a single function head from a Hextronic (Blue Wonder) motor mount. I think that a delta plate template is also there but not 100% sure.

Good luck with the DF project, sexy…….

Paul
Oct 28, 2016, 04:16 AM
I'm currently using a head on one of my models very similar to yours and it is using the plastic from a "Tupperware" kind of container.
Chris...
Nov 01, 2016, 08:08 PM
Ok. I have gone on a little side trip and have built a smaller jet. It has two 64mm fans. The rotor system on it is the same as the Whippet. Hope to do some testing tomorrow.
Again, all comments are welcome.
Wayne
Nov 02, 2016, 12:58 PM
Wayne good luck with your testing, I hope you can get it to fly it looks good.
The only points that I can see might need changing are make the mast taller and the rudder fin area may need enlarging.
Try and video any attempts, that is how I see what (repairs) adjustments my models need
Joe
Nov 02, 2016, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the input Joe. Unfortunately, I am unable to get video at this time. As far as the testing went today. I did raise the mast an inch or so, and did increase the vertical area. There was a good breeze so getting the rotor up to speed was no problem. As the gyro left the ground, it pitched up and to the right. The larger 90mm does the same thing. I know this is common with insufficent rotor speed, but I believe the speed was ok, since the breeze was getting the rotor to try and fly with very little forward movement. The pitch up is not as bad as at first. I added some weight to the front. Does it need more? The hang test seems ok.
Wayne.