Mini-HowTo

Generating YY winding schemes

How to generate YY winding schemes with the Winding Scheme Calculator

Follow these steps:
  1. Go to the Winding Scheme Calculator
  2. Enter 12 slots, 14 magnet poles
  3. Click advanced
  4. Copy the notation to the clipboard, i.e. AabBCcAabBCc - or write it down
  5. Click Clear at the top (we need to start fresh for the second part of the operation)
  6. Again enter 12 slots, 14 magnet poles (don't click Calculate now)
  7. Into the Scheme block, paste the notation from the clipboard
  8. Add "/" in the centre, i.e. AabBCc/AabBCc
  9. Change the D to Y
  10. Click Calculate

Final termination is done by connecting like-colored wires together, i.e. Red to Red, Blue to Blue and Green to Green.

Christo
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2016, 05:54 AM
WARNING

The YYY ABC winding shown below is just an observation I made while playing with the calculator.
I'm not suggesting it as a viable winding scheme.

Strange thing is, the calculator allowed an ABC wind on 12N14P when one does YYY...

I suppose someone need to wind one to check if it will work. Any volunteers?

Christo
Last edited by Skylar; Oct 26, 2016 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added warning
Oct 30, 2016, 10:33 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Would you hook this to 3 separate ESC's or hook all three same colored leads together?
Oct 30, 2016, 04:35 PM
Jack
One thing to consider is that the YY wind will double the Kv for the same motor with a Y wind, and the YYY will triple it.

One of the reasons that we often go to a YY wind from a dLRK-D wind is that you have a similar Kv (just a little higher) Kv with the YY wind to what you had with the dLRK-D wind. The YY motor will have more power and torque and can usually handle the same prop or a little larger prop than the dLRK-D motor did.

If you are looking for much higher Kv's the YY and YYY or even DD or DDD will get them for you.

Jack
Nov 01, 2016, 02:21 PM
Hi,
the best thing is to have all turn for one phase on a single stator tooth . If there is an other statortooth that has the same position to the magnets ,it is a coil feeding the same phase ,so you can switch it parallel to the other coil . The advantage is that you have to wire this coil with the smallest dia of copperwire and highest count of wind . With it you can fine tune the motor rev with the smalest differnce as if you ad or delet a turn it will change only by the smallest volt induction of this turn. The parallel switching will rise the copperdia and lower the copper resistance. With a 12 N 16 P you can wind each tooth with a single separate coil and if all tooth are wind ready you can switch four of this coils parallel for the use with a single esc or you can ad for each 3 Statortooth a separate esc so four esc can run together on one motor. With flux barrier each esc can run cleaner and moore powerfull .
Posible is to run each second tooth wind and feed every three tooth with one esc. So you can wind four every second tooth wind ,separate motors with four esc.

@Cristo,
i think it will run with angood controller but you need only half turn at the outer statortooth ,so less copperfill .

Happy Amps Christian
Nov 02, 2016, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar
The YYY ABC winding shown below is just an observation I made while playing with the calculator.
I'm not suggesting it as a viable winding scheme.
I suppose someone need to wind one to check if it will work. Any volunteers?
Christo (post #2)
Following my "Finite Elements personal simulator":

a) Scheme is OK for 16P, YYY
The 3 groups have their electromagnetic forces "in phase"

b) Scheme is NOT OK for 14P or 10P, YYY
The 3 groups have their electromagnetic forces "NOT in phase"

In this last case b) you could use 3 separate ESC to avoid problems (but the average winding factor is lower)
Louis
Nov 02, 2016, 09:10 AM
Thank you Louis.

What you're saying is consistent with the standard dLRK schemes.
ABC... is OK for 16 poles, but not for 14 or 10 poles.

Christo
Nov 03, 2016, 08:09 AM
Its also good to know that kv doubles in YY or DD terminations and triples In YYY or DDD terminations of course using the same number of turns.

I was thinking YYY terminations is only possible with 9T motors, is that a correct assumption?

I was thinking If I can find a used Scorpion 2520 thats wound at 1580 KV for 6S that I can terminate the same wind in DD and have double the KV at 3160.

That way I can run 4S which are considerably cheaper packs than 6S.
Im already running 4S with a rewound Scorpion 2221-10 3434KV but I'd like to move that motor back to my 450 Pro.
Nov 03, 2016, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro
I was thinking YYY terminations is only possible with 9T motors, is that a correct assumption?
Hi
I think that YYY is valid if every of the 3 groups are OK regarding the number of poles.
For example a triple dLRK (36N30P or 36N42P) is Y//Y//Y compatible
Louis
Oct 22, 2017, 05:24 AM
Hi
How can i generate a yyy winding scheme with this calculator ?
Oct 22, 2017, 10:11 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluedo
Hi
How can i generate a yyy winding scheme with this calculator ?
Enter the slots and poles, choose Y, click on advanced, in the alphabetic notation seen there put a / mark for each division. If it is not a good scheme it will tell you, if it has a low winding factor it would be a poor wind.

Jack