Aug 09, 2017, 01:09 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by monas
You are correct, it was the control transmitter signal. i had video crystal clear the entire time. i had read about the problems other people had with the stock radio, and figured i would just add the external Rx. i was also looking at getting a lost model alarm i could add to it since i would be losing that with the external Rx. I haven't asked in the Taranis forum yet, was hoping someone had already crossed this bridge and could let me know how it worked out.

the signal drops seem to happen when i am about 75-100 yds out. i was flying in an open area with some power lines. but i couldn't pinpoint one specific area, seemed to be a radius from me, so i was assuming it was a weak signal.

i read the couple posts about thee spectrum Rx. have you had any luck getting the on-board video recorder working again?
Yes, I am using a Spektrum Rx and I have both the lost model beeper and the onboard photos/video working again from my Spektrum Tx. Post 157 on page 11 (which also links a couple of other posts in this thread) gives the 10,000 foot overview of what I did to make it work and if you are interested in more information I am happy to try and dredge the details out of my memory. It does take a bit of soldering, a couple of add-on RC switches and some transmitter programming but nothing terribly complicated if you already have some comfort level with that sort of thing.

FWIW, the built in beeper is not nearly as loud outside when there is ambient noise as it seems like it would be based on testing it indoors. Don't get me wrong, it's still useful, but I'm not sure how loud it is compared to an aftermarket/external one. On the other hand I can tell you from first hand experience that there is virtually NO room inside the Vusion to mount anything, so if you add an external lost model alarm you most likely will have to mount it externally where it may or may not survive a crash. Having said that, my externally mounted Rx has survived a few tumbles to date so....

Finally, I am using a 6 channel, 22ms Spektrum Rx because that's what I had laying around. A couple of related thoughts:

1) As noted in post 157 above I did not connect Ch5 (Gear) to the Vusion board because I am using it for both the photos/video and for the lost model alarm. Ch5 normally is for dual rates but I am simply setting them on my radio (as I imagine you would do?). In any event, the point is to think about whether you want to use an rx with a few more channels (maybe 7-8) if you wanted to have a bit more freedom about how you use your channels.

2) I don't know the frame rate (11 or 22 ms) of the original Vusion Tx/Rx, or what the frame rate is for communicating between an external Rx and the original Rx. I believe that most quads these days are using 11 ms for flight controls. I have not found a problem using my 22ms Rx but that may be because my piloting skills are not sufficiently advanced to be able to tell the difference! In any event, in choosing a Taranis Rx you may have a choice of 11 or 22 ms frame rates so you can think about which you would prefer.

IF ANYONE HAPPENS TO BE CALLING TACTIC for any reason, perhaps they could ask the above questions about frame rate and share the answer here so that we would all know.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2017, 02:20 PM
I like these 3-blade props.

Flipping Fun - Rise Vusion 2017 (7 min 5 sec)
Aug 25, 2017, 05:14 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwahlfeldt
I like these 3-blade props.

https://youtu.be/ZDIKlQ86Rts
Nice! What props are those?

I see you removed your camera - are you using a separate one for FPV or not doing FPV?
Aug 25, 2017, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea
Nice! What props are those?

I see you removed your camera - are you using a separate one for FPV or not doing FPV?
HQProps from GetFPV.com. Here is a link to the pink version. They have other colors.
http://www.getfpv.com/propellers/hqp...c.html?fref=gc

I have 2 Vusions. One with a camera and one without. I don't do much FPV. I prefer LOS. Here is a video of me flying FPV. It's labeled "Bad Crash". But I'm capable of doing bad crashes FPV or LOS.

RISE Vusion - Bad Crash (2 min 42 sec)
Aug 26, 2017, 06:16 AM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwahlfeldt
HQProps from GetFPV.com. Here is a link to the pink version. They have other colors.
http://www.getfpv.com/propellers/hqp...c.html?fref=gc

I have 2 Vusions. One with a camera and one without. I don't do much FPV. I prefer LOS. Here is a video of me flying FPV. It's labeled "Bad Crash". But I'm capable of doing bad crashes FPV or LOS.
Ha! I seem to have that skill (the ability to do bad crashes either FPV or LOS) as well!

Do you find that those props make any difference in the feel of the Vusion (other than perhaps power)? The reviewers at the link you gave state that they perceive the props to make their quads feel more "locked in" which is something that I've struggled with for my Vusion. It just tends to wander, more on the pitch axis than the roll axis. I have a small 90mm quad (SPC 90x) that feels much more locked in. With the Vusion (in rate/non-self leveling mode) I find that if I'm in a hover and give sharp right or left stick to set a small to medium angle (say 15-20ish degrees) and then center the stick it will fly sideways with that angle which is what I expect. If I do the same thing going forwards or backwards however the nose tends to come back to level rather than holding the angle. It's not the abrupt self-leveling that you see in one of the other flight modes, it's slower and more subtle but it means that that the nose is constantly changing pitch on me as I fly. I'm flying the stock props but it never even occurred to me that different props might give a different feel in that way so I'm curious if you notice any difference with those three blades?

Thanks
Aug 26, 2017, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea
Ha! I seem to have that skill (the ability to do bad crashes either FPV or LOS) as well!

Do you find that those props make any difference in the feel of the Vusion (other than perhaps power)? The reviewers at the link you gave state that they perceive the props to make their quads feel more "locked in"......
Thanks
If you buy the 3-blade props with the expectation of gaining better, locked in control, I think you would be disappointed. For the Vusion there is not a huge amount of difference between the 3-blade and the stock props. However there is a slight, noticeable difference in the handling. Of course this could just be me.
Last edited by rwahlfeldt; Aug 28, 2017 at 04:09 PM.
Aug 26, 2017, 02:55 PM
Any one ever think about changing the motors to something a little more powerful? Considering the 1806 motors are generally using 4 inch props, and maybe 5 inch tapers, this with bullnose 5 inchers and 5 inch tri blades is kinda pushing the limits on the small motors if i'm correct, although big props are needed because the quad is not really light weight? I guess it's just a question or two rolled all up into a statement. Any Ideas? I dont want to fry something, but I have noticed that the motors are very hot after a full flight. Thanks -Degovernator
Aug 28, 2017, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by degovernator
Any one ever think about changing the motors to something a little more powerful? Considering the 1806 motors are generally using 4 inch props, and maybe 5 inch tapers, this with bullnose 5 inchers and 5 inch tri blades is kinda pushing the limits on the small motors if i'm correct, although big props are needed because the quad is not really light weight? I guess it's just a question or two rolled all up into a statement. Any Ideas? I dont want to fry something, but I have noticed that the motors are very hot after a full flight. Thanks -Degovernator
Since the arms are designed for 1806 motors it would be difficult to change them to bigger motors. It's not an expensive quad so if you wanted bigger motors it would be easier to just get something else.

I am a member of this forum and the Facebook group for the Vusion and nobody has said anything about frying a motor. They do get hot. But I haven't burnt one out yet.

A new motor cost $29.99. You can only get it with the arm. So that may be considered kind of expensive (not really). But they are super easy to replace.
Sep 01, 2017, 04:53 PM

Rise TX Antennae on FPV display?

I have a spare Rise TX Antennae for my Vusion 250. Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to use the spare as a replacement antenna for the Tactic FPV Monitor? I was wanting to improve the FPV reception and since I had this as a spare for the drone, I thought perhaps I could use this?

I did the other day and it seemed to work better than the regular antennae, but I also see there are TX and RX antennae, So maybe it's really not doing anything or worse yet harming my screen in some way?

Thanks,
Sep 02, 2017, 09:23 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayerXXX
I have a spare Rise TX Antennae for my Vusion 250. Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to use the spare as a replacement antenna for the Tactic FPV Monitor? I was wanting to improve the FPV reception and since I had this as a spare for the drone, I thought perhaps I could use this?

I did the other day and it seemed to work better than the regular antennae, but I also see there are TX and RX antennae, So maybe it's really not doing anything or worse yet harming my screen in some way?

Thanks,
I won't tell you I'm an antenna expert but you will not hurt your vrx by putting your spare antenna on it. I expect it will be better than the linear antenna that came with the vrx, particularly if you are in an area where you might have reflections. It may not be optimized but neither was the original linear antenna.
Sep 13, 2017, 01:46 AM
Hey guys!
New to this game. But I purchased a Vusion 250 and expecting delivery in a couple of weeks.
Can somebody tell me the size of the battery compartment and/or suggest some third party Lipo´s that works well.

Cheers!
Boo
Sep 13, 2017, 08:03 AM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBOO
Hey guys!
New to this game. But I purchased a Vusion 250 and expecting delivery in a couple of weeks.
Can somebody tell me the size of the battery compartment and/or suggest some third party Lipo´s that works well.

Cheers!
Boo
I don't have the measurements of the compartment at the moment but I use both of these. The Gens Ace are really tight but they do fit.

UPDATE: The Gens Ace are 93mm x 30mm x 23mm and they are a tight fit lengthwise (93mm) and thickness wise (30mm). The stock RISE battery and the nano-tech are both 86mm x 34mm x 22mm
Last edited by mejmea; Sep 13, 2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added new information
Sep 13, 2017, 09:59 PM
High Tech Red Neck
I use VH battries! Their 1600 3S fits perfectly,and you can't beat the price! Here's a link to them! http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...600mah-3s.html
Sep 15, 2017, 01:26 PM
High Tech Red Neck

Three short test runs today

I blew the dust off the Vusion and went out to the local football field. It flew kinda loose,but ok,until I flipped the mode switch into rate mode! The Vusion would dive almost straight down! I tried it again and got the same results? So I just flew it in angle mode (rate2) and it was Ok. When I got back home I did a caliburation reset and it didn't dive when I switched it into rate mode,but it still kinda felt loose flying? Then I remembered I had used the trim to get it hovering still last time I flew it,so I reset the trims to neutrual,and calibrated the sensors again. Now it seems to fly perfectly! I only flew it LOS in the backyard,but you could definatley tell a big diffrence! I flew it around in Rate mode in both low and High rates,and now I'm not so sure I need to change out the Rx for my other Tx? Do any of you use the Tx trims? I'm thinking they aren't really needed? In the video you will see it dive at 1:12 and again at 1:21. Can't wait to try it out again! Maybe Sunday if I'm lucky!
(3 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Ron_Dog; Sep 15, 2017 at 02:55 PM.
Sep 15, 2017, 06:29 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog
I blew the dust off the Vusion and went out to the local football field. It flew kinda loose,but ok,until I flipped the mode switch into rate mode! The Vusion would dive almost straight down! I tried it again and got the same results? So I just flew it in angle mode (rate2) and it was Ok. When I got back home I did a caliburation reset and it didn't dive when I switched it into rate mode,but it still kinda felt loose flying? Then I remembered I had used the trim to get it hovering still last time I flew it,so I reset the trims to neutrual,and calibrated the sensors again. Now it seems to fly perfectly! I only flew it LOS in the backyard,but you could definatley tell a big diffrence! I flew it around in Rate mode in both low and High rates,and now I'm not so sure I need to change out the Rx for my other Tx? Do any of you use the Tx trims? I'm thinking they aren't really needed? In the video you will see it dive at 1:12 and again at 1:21. Can't wait to try it out again! Maybe Sunday if I'm lucky!

I do not use any trim. I'm not sure why that should cause it to behave that way out of the blue but glad you got it figured out.

Quick Reply