This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 24, 2016, 03:14 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Revisited review: Skyartec Butterfly RTF quad from Parkrcmodels.com

It wasn't long ago that full hobby grade RTF quadcopters were a real rarity, let alone those with brushless motors.

Today, it's my pleasure to send us all back to October 14, 2013 to revisit the groundbreaking Skyartec Butterfly RTF quadcopter from Max Ettinger over at ParkRCModels.com.

Back then, $219.95 would net the lucky buyer a fully assembled, fully tested, fiberglass framed quad with four 2200Kv outrunners, all guided by a seven-channel Skyartec NASA701 radio.

It had been quite some time since I'd last flown this fun little machine and I'm glad that I dusted it off for a quick indoor sortie.

With its original 1300mAh li-po battery charged and ready, I armed the model, remembering not to move it while powered up. That, as I found out during the review, "confuses" the gyros. Since the Butterfly has an external power switch, arming it at its takeoff point is easy.

Despite its size and power, the Butterfly is an excellent indoor flyer if one remembers to keep its rather touchy throttle response in mind. It's possible to go into the radio's settings and adjust the expo, but doing so remains a mystery. Max, however, is a master at setting the NASA701 should one wish to tweak the factory's memory preset.

Since the original review went live, Max sells the original Butterfly at a closeout price of $129.99. A new version, the "S," has replaced the original with the capability of running three-cell batteries as opposed to the two-cell which came with my sample. This is a heck of a bargain for such a great flying little quad with Max's parts support, but one should be aware that it's now sold as-is.

As for mine, I just happen to have another 1300mAh 2S pack new in the package. I'll need to either convert it to an EC2 connector or, better yet, build a Deans-to-EC2 adapter. Either way, there's a lot of fun flying left in this model and with a second battery almost ready to go, I plan to start enjoying it once more.

The Butterfly's sales page may be found here.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply