Jul 30, 2020, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunternr View Post
"Hi everyone,

I'm the owner of 94" Extreme Flight 94“ MXS equipped with XPWR 60, ESC Platinum HV 200A .V1, 2x 6S lipo 5800mAh/30C SLS Quantum, prop XOAR 24x12 (wood), Rx batteries Power-Ion 2S 2600mAh.
The following parameters have been set on my motor:

1. Fixed Wing
2. Lipo Cells – 12S
3. Voltage Cutoff Type – Soft Cutoff
4. Cutoff Voltage – 3,2V
11. Brake Type – Disabled
13. Timing - 20
15. DEO Technology – enabled
16. Start-up Force – 3

the maximum current drawn is 147A.

I have done just 3 flights with this model.
First two flights were ok.
On third flight - after 2 minutes the ESC suddenly went off. There was no reaction to the throttle stick input, motor was still not starting. Program Box connected was showing temperature of 102F/57C
No warning tones could be heard, ESC was quite.
I disconnected and connected 12S the batteries again, regulator went on but after throttle stick input it went off again.

Any idea what could go wrong?
Thanks for the advice. "
The 200A Pro V4 will shut down without warning and it seems to do this only from quick throttle pulses off zero power, which means it could be from current spikes from the initial torque-speed. I solved this riddle with an idle switch, which keeps the prop spinning all the time. It only happened once after I did this and that was on the ground after I landed. But the lower voltage at the end of my 6.5 minute flight could not keep the idle RPM up. When I saw the prop had stopped, I check to make sure the switch was on, and blipped the throttle to turn the plane around to taxi back, and the ESC cut out again.

I raised the throttle RPM with my trim and it only happens now when I try to make it happen. This means you should be able to check this for yourself too before putting your plane at risk since your problem could be something else.

Here's something Rob posted a while ago and it's the same as my settings.

Edit: just realized the prop rotation below. Standard rotation for planes is CCW.
Last edited by Aeroplayin; Jul 30, 2020 at 03:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2020, 08:40 PM
And my timing on the V4.0 is now 18, but 20 works fine too.
Jul 30, 2020, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
And my timing on the V4.0 is now 18, but 20 works fine too.
OK, thank you.
gunter
Jul 31, 2020, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunternr View Post
OK, thank you.
gunter
Sorry, but I just realized you had DEO Technology enabled. It’s pretty much understood that we should never use active braking if you have low Kv motors and large props like we do in airplanes and specifically with large props and high torque. It virtually guarantees commutation loss.
Jul 31, 2020, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Sorry, but I just realized you had DEO Technology enabled. Its pretty much understood that we should never use active braking if you have low Kv motors and large props like we do in airplanes and specifically with large props and high torque. It virtually guarantees commutation loss.
I don't think DEO is a form a braking. It just adds a FET to minimize losses in the diode when PWM is off.
Jul 31, 2020, 11:12 AM
From the manual:

"It is a technology that significantly improves throttle linearity and driving efficiency. The ESC will automatically brake and quickly reduce the motor speed when decreasing the throttle amount. This can remarkably improve the movement of the multi-rotors and the stability of its flight direction. Moreover, this also improves the driving efficiency of the ESC and reduces its operating temperature."

So when we have several motors on a quad that also provide steering control across the horizontal and vertical axes by regulating prop RPM, there is a significant improvement when props can brake quickly too. So quick acceleration and deceleration enhances control. But when we try to manage RPM with bigger props with a very high angular momentum and torque, we can cause a lot of interpretation problems for these controllers.

Since torque and Amps are related, we can actually see max current spikes nowhere near normal WOT RPM if we're bouncing the throttle stick around with big props.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part from what I know and read about these controllers so I have the same probability of being wrong about this causing the shutdown as being right. But the bottom line is that no 3D electric airplane setup should have Driving Efficiency Optimization or Freewheeling enabled since it really does not apply to us.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:00 PM
That sounds like a misprint that has been omitted in more recent manuals. Most of the manuals I see don't mention braking when talking about DEO. There's a good video on youtube that explains freewheeling, and it doesn't suggest braking.

It should be easy to confirm whether enabling DEO also enables braking. Just cut the throttle with the setting on and off and see if the prop stops any faster.
Last edited by Randino; Jul 31, 2020 at 01:26 PM.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:28 PM
DEO and Freewheeling are different but both are suggested to be disabled for airplane mode including any programming that actually includes the word braking.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:45 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
I had "active freewheeling" activated when I first used a Hobbywing Controller and it was awful. The prop would slow down very quickly and the effects when flying were uncomfortable to say the least. Turn all that off and all was good.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:56 PM
I bought the King Kong from the US distributor and told him the application. He told me to keep freewheeling on, so I did and the controller fried on the test stand and never made it to a plane... a good thing. That's when I figured that I need to do some reading.

The explanation in the video Randino posted is very good BTW. Thanks for that.
Aug 18, 2020, 10:57 AM
any feedback on the new 22cc Xpwr
Last edited by doug14; Aug 18, 2020 at 11:02 AM.
Aug 18, 2020, 11:44 AM
I’m running two currently. One is hauling my 84” bushmaster around with a 17x6 prop (I do watch temps with the 17”, but even on a hot Texas day we’re doing fine) and the other is in my 60” slick on 16x7. With that small
Prop, it feels just like the 4016, only a skosh lighter and runs a bit cooler. Eventually I’ll change the rest of the fleet over to the 22.
Aug 18, 2020, 01:28 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Hope to get mine running soon.
Aug 18, 2020, 06:52 PM
good stuff thanks. I'm running a 17x8 on my scorpion 420kv ..its decent. but I think I'm going to stay with 16x7 with this one
Oct 06, 2020, 04:00 PM
Extremeflight Noob
May I please ask for the dimensions of a Torque 4016/500

Quick Reply