Oct 23, 2016, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Taser F5J (carbon) from Soaring USA

TASER F5J, carbon

Iíve been flying my Two Meter carbon Taser F5J for few months now and find it to be a fun plane with great performance. It did come out a little heavier than expected at 20.3 ounces, but the plane handles the weight very well and is an excellent light to windy (highest wind flown so far is 18 mph) weather electric launched sailplane. The nimbleness of the Taser makes it a fair bit of fun on the slope with the added insurance of the motor to recover from a dead air spell.

Initially the recommended spinner and prop were not available so I set the power system up with what I believe to be a NEU 707/2Y/P16 (a new combination designed by Steve Neu for this plane from Soaring USA) an Electron Pro 3s 950 liPo, a MPI 11x6 carbon prop and a Castle Talon 25 ESC. This combination at 17 amps and 10.6 volts (180 watts and 141 watts/pound) easily makes 200 meters in less than thirty seconds. For sport flying you get three climbs to altitude and over an hour of radio time from the 950 battery.

For radio I used four MKS DS 65 K servos for the ailerons and ruddervators and two MKS 75 K servos for the flaps. I suspect the plane could be built with just flaperons, saving two servos and an ounce or so, without giving up very much in controllability. You could also use a smaller battery positioned farther forward and perhaps save another half ounce or so.

Just yesterday, through no fault of SUSA, I finally received the recommended RFM 32x3 spinner and GM F5J 14 x 7 propeller. With this propeller Iíll have to go to a two cell LiPo to keep the current within the capabilities of the Talon 25. It will be interesting to see how this compares to the current setup.

All in all itís a lively combination with a wide speed range and balanced handling. Thermalling is pretty easy as the controls are strong without being touchy. Landings are fun as you can come screaming in, drop the flaps about fifteen feet out and still have to step forward to catch it. Other than a tight build process I havenít found anything I donít like about the Taser F5J from SUSA.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2016, 08:11 PM
My son's Taser flys very well but it is pretty brittle. So far everything has been repairable but landings are best done carefully.
Oct 25, 2016, 12:27 PM
I have one, awesome model. Yes it's not the stoutest model but flies great.

Quick Reply