Oct 22, 2016, 06:11 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Mini-Review

RealAcc GX210 - X-type FPV Racer Quad (review)

Some interesting X-shape quadcopters are being released lately. JJRC P175 and P200, Wizard X220, and also this GX210, by RealAcc. It seems that RealAcc is closely related to Eachine, or maybe the same OEM/Factory producing some things, as some parts look identical to Eachine parts, except the brand printed on it. Let's see if this new brand has something to add to the more and more saturated 210 size market, or if it's just another average product...

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long review instead of some summarizing remarks, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic. And please, no affiliate links!

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Transmitter (posting #1)
4: Flying Performance (posting #1)
5: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Camera & FPV Performance (posting #2)
8: Hints, Tips & Modifications (posting #2)
9: Suggestions for Improvements (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a link and a picture,

http://www.banggood.com/Realacc-GX21...p-1091154.html

2 - Unboxing:

Despite being only protected by foam and a plastic bag, the G210 box arrived in good shape. Probably handled by a few shipping employees that don't throw parcels around, or play soccer with the boxes...

The contents are well protected by the foam insert:

And the transmitter doesn't have any broken switches or other mishaps either:

All the contents, except transmitter and charger. Notice the small CF wrench on the front, 2 of these are supplied, to help with tightening the nyloc prop fixing nuts.

The motors are Racerstar 2205 2300kv type, so there should be plenty of power for a 210 size frame:

The ESCs are also Racerstar, 20A, running BLHeli_S firmware. Just seems like, as was also reported by other GX210 owners, they forgot to apply sufficient heat to the heat shrink:

The receiver is wired in PWM, so one wire for each channel. A tiny amount of weight was saved, by now using 3 pin plugs for the 4 other channels:

The USB port is on the left side. Also notice, like others also found, the camera plug is so close to the FC to receiver plug, that the camera can't be tilted very far.

Led strips are mounted at the bottom, these are not controlled by the FC, but always on, red at the rear, and blue at the front. Some of the strips haven't been applied very neatly...

The VTX presses down on part of the receiver, another somewhat sloppy sight:

And when looking from the rear, it doesn't get any better. This is a situation where a thick rubber ring, as used on the Eachine Wizard X220, would have come in handy...

The battery looks about identical to the Eachine 3S 1500mAh battery, that comes with many of their RTF quads. This Realacc battery came at almost 4 volts per cell, very high for storage voltage. I gave it a couple of cycles, then checked it's IR with a B6 Mini. It reads about 50% higher than the Eachine 3S 1500mAh batteries, and these already belong to the worst ones in my collection. For instance, the IR of a NanoTech 3S 1300mAh is between 3 and 4 times better than the Realacc battery...

3 - Transmitter:

The standard FlySky FS-i6 radio, is bundled with the GX210. And just like on the Eachine products, the Aux channels are set to VrA and VrB, instead of mapped to switches, so you would control flight modes with a rotary knob, far from ideal. Good thing is that the settings menu isn't locked, so you can easily change this.

One thing did feel different, the sticks are slightly more smooth. I also noticed, when checking in CleanFlight configurator, that the stick outputs are rock solid. Normally I would see some jitter, so the values would alternate between 1499 and 1501, even when not movin the sticks. Some set a deadband of at least 2 or more, to counter this jitter from stick output value. The GX210 radio was solid, though a little lower than 1500, as pitch, roll and yaw were all at 1498. Using subtrim, I changed this to 1500.

4 - Flying Performance:

First test flights, everything was kept stock, firmware, rates, PId settings. Only things altered were the flight modes, stock none are defined, so it defaults to acro mode. So I added Angle mode, to get used to the quad.

The quad proved to fly very solid, with smooth running motors, and nice power. Naturally it wasn't very fast, with stock rc-rates all set to 0.00 default values, but still it handled really well.

First testflight with the Realacc GX210 FPV Quadcopter (stock firmware, stock settings) (2 min 11 sec)

Update 29 october 2016:

The first testflight revealed the quad is flying quite stable, but it wasn't very agile. Not too surprising, since the RC-rates were set at 0.00 default value. First tried 0.20 but that didn't give much improvement. With the rates set to 0.50 it flies a lot more "lively":

New video of the Realacc GX210, stock firmware and PID, RC-rates set to 0.50 (2 min 8 sec)

5 - Preliminary Verdict:

The GX210 is a very nice quadcopter. It looks sleek, and is fitted with smooth motors and good ESCs. The stock firmware might not be the most recent, and no flight modes have been programmed, but even then it already flies quite well. With some tuning of rc-rates, it can easily become better, and with more recent firmware, it has been reported to be even more amazing.

Some parts may look a little sloppy, like the not fully shrunk heatshrink around the ESCs, and the mounting of the VTX. The lack of a buzzer and OSD is a bit of a shame too. And personally I would have liked to see a bright headlight, like the Falcon 210 or EB185.

Pros:

- Good ESCs with recent firmware
- Smooth and powerful motors
- F3 flight controller (if you select that version)
- 8 props in 2 colors
- Good range on radio and VTX
- Camera gives detailed and bright image

Cons:

- No OSD
- No buzzer
- Transmitter Aux channels set to rotating knobs instead of switches
- Some jello in video

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

While the stock rates on this quad are pretty docile, with each value set at 0.00, this has likely not been done to make this quad beginner friendly. Apart from the massive power even on 3S, having the battery at the bottom usually also doesn't go well with novice pilots, as they tend to have rougher landings (even some seasoned pilots seem to struggle with that) and that can easily lead to a damaged battery. So as first quad or even first brushless, the GX210 is not a very good choice. It takes an intermediate pilot to operate it safely, and really start tapping into it's potential.

Useful links:

- Main GX210 discussion thread, contains videos and setup tips: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2748329
- SeByDocKy's review thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2763896

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 26, 2018 at 02:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2016, 06:11 AM
Thread OP
7 - Camera & FPV Performance:

The VTX was broken, straight from the box, so I couldn't test this yet. Replacement VTX has been ordered, and was shipped the 27th of october, so now the waiting begins.

Update 20 november 2016:

The replacement VTX arrived, and I was finally able to see the camera image on my goggles. Colors seemed quite good, but the image was very unfocused. Turned out that the focus ring has no screw, and the lens was able to turn and even wobble freely.

So I focused the lens, and then secured it with a dot of white silicone. After this had dried, the focus was verified and was still ok. In the mean time I had received some clear silicone glue, which would look better on the camera, so this was used to secure the lens on the other spots. Then, when this glue was set, I removed the dot of white glue, and replaced with clear glue as well:

Update 8 december 2016:

Finally have been able to do some FPV testing with the GX210. And I'm happy to report it went well. The quad flies smooth and responsive, some minor ripple in the camera image, but brightness and detail are good. Range was good too, even with a simple dipole on the goggles and DVR, there was little static, even at around 200m. I expect to be doing much more FPV flight with it.

Here's a video of today:

Realacc GX210 FPV Flight (3 min 30 sec)

8 - Hints, Tips & Modifications:

9 – Suggestions for Improvements:

Though already a very nice quadcopter, there are a few things that would be the icing on the cake:

- Buzzer, to signal arming and disarming, to help with retrieving a lost quadcopter, and for low battery warning
- Bright headlight. Below the camera bracket and the top of the lower frame plate, there is a nice room for a bright headlight, to help with orientation when flying LoS and low
- OSD
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 08, 2016 at 05:27 PM.
Oct 23, 2016, 08:58 AM
Thread OP
Added unboxing comments, including pictures.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Oct 23, 2016, 02:25 PM
Well, decided to return the Kingkong 210 that hasnt even arrived yet, and ordered this guy
Oct 29, 2016, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg208
Well, decided to return the Kingkong 210 that hasnt even arrived yet, and ordered this guy

Looking forward to your findings.

Added a new flight video, with rates set to 0.50
Nov 20, 2016, 03:05 AM
Thread OP
The VTX is working again, and also fixed (literally) the lens focus ring, which on mine was missing the retainer screw, and was easily turned out of focus. Used some clear silicone glue to secure the lens:

Dec 08, 2016, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Added some comments on FPV performance, video will follow later.
Dec 08, 2016, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Added FPV video to second message in this thread.
Dec 20, 2018, 07:20 AM
can anyone help me how to set up the flight modes on it. I am a beginner so i cannot fly acro right away.
Dec 20, 2018, 07:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfernandes
can anyone help me how to set up the flight modes on it. I am a beginner so i cannot fly acro right away.

Do you already have switches on your transmitter controlling the extra channels, like Aux 5 and Aux 6? What transmitter do you have?
Dec 26, 2018, 02:28 PM
can someone guide me how to configure the angle horizon and acro modes in betaflight / clean flight for the realacc gx210. I got mine but it doesnt have self levelling and im a beginner so cannot fly in acro directly.
Dec 26, 2018, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
can someone guide me how to configure the angle horizon and acro modes in betaflight / clean flight for the realacc gx210. I got mine but it doesnt have self levelling and im a beginner so cannot fly in acro directly.

Seems you overlooked my previous reply, asking what kind of transmitter you have, and if you already have switches set up on that transmitter. It would be impossible to switch modes, if the switches are not controlling any extra channels, like channel 5 and 6.

If you don't know, there is a quick solution to get your quad to fly in Angle Mode. On the Modes tab, select Aux1 for the Angle Mode bar, and move the sliders such that the entire range of this bar is yellow. That means that regardless of the state of channel 5, also known as Aux1, Angle Mode will be selected.
Jan 10, 2019, 06:02 AM
can some one help me. i need to replace my flysky receiver with frsky xm+. Where should i solder the SBUS wire from the xm+ to the sp racing f3 board?
Jan 10, 2019, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
can some one help me. i need to replace my flysky receiver with frsky xm+. Where should i solder the SBUS wire from the xm+ to the sp racing f3 board?

Here's a pic that might help:

You could plug it into UART2, or solder wires to UART3

Quick Reply