Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
First post .................
Duh!! Glad it wasn't a snake...I'd have got bit
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2018, 08:14 PM
flyin' fool
You'll love this lil' wonder, especially if your an extreme stick wiggler like me.

Got a smaller version doodled up, kind of a Jupiter racer.
Aug 09, 2018, 12:37 PM
flyin' fool
Been beating the heck out of my original pushing it to the limits and beyond for over a year now, lots of repairs and it's still ticking. Must finish my EPP version as the repairs are making it a bit porky.

One wonderful design you'll never get bored with.

Try one
Aug 12, 2018, 11:34 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Love the Water Trottel Thomas. Great flying!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Aug 14, 2018, 03:35 PM
Hi, How much of a breeze will the Trottel fly in.
Aug 14, 2018, 07:00 PM
flyin' fool
The only limit is your flying ability. I love flying mine in big wind.

Point into the wind at altitude, kill the throttle, full up elevator and float straight down at zero ground speed to land at your feet, upright or inverted. Lots of other funky weird stuff is possible in the wind. Extreme throws and a rearward CG makes for big fun in big wind.

When it's too wind for my 3D birds, out comes the Fool.

Will try to get some video.
Last edited by goldguy; Aug 14, 2018 at 07:15 PM.
Aug 15, 2018, 07:10 AM
Thank you for your reply. Just bought a twisted hobbies Fokker triplane and flys extremely well but outdoors it really needs a calm day. It will fly in maybe 8mph wind but you are fighting it with having 3/ wings for the wind to grab. Was looking for something cheap and cheerful that would be handle a slight breeze and came across the Trottel. Do you think building with EPP would add weight and performance.
Aug 15, 2018, 09:20 AM
flyin' fool
I've got the Crack Wing at 3.8 oz and the Crack Yak at 7, both great in calm conditions. Although I do fly both in the wind, mostly getting blown around.

The Trottel flies up a storm in all wind conditions. Mine is a porky 8.2 oz, but likes the wind at the higher wing loading. Keep it light and it will fly at a decent slower speed.

I'm building a 22 incher and a 26 in EPP as we speak, both with the KFM2 airfoil for lightness. Got a few birds with the two and can't tell much difference than the four, even inverted.
Last edited by goldguy; Aug 15, 2018 at 09:26 AM.
Aug 15, 2018, 09:28 AM
flyin' fool
Best ever windy day flyer ............................. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Simple%20Delta
Aug 15, 2018, 02:59 PM
Downloaded the plan and seeing that i have plenty of 6mm depron that is what iam using. Might try 6mm EPP next time though.
Aug 16, 2018, 06:33 AM
Jim
Anybody got any details/pics of the wing build?

Nevermind...I see now!
Aug 16, 2018, 01:48 PM
Is there any carbon in the ailerons to stop any flex.
Aug 16, 2018, 02:24 PM
flyin' fool
I didn't add any at first, but fatigue set in from extreme flying, so add a 1X3mm flat to the step.
Aug 16, 2018, 03:17 PM
Hi, been looking at the aileron control linkage that Thomas uses and it looks like heat shrink if iam correct but what method does he use at the airleron connection. Can anybody explain how to use this method rather than the conventional horns.
Aug 16, 2018, 03:41 PM
scratchbuilder
I use heat shrink tube and skewers. I make the control horns from short pieces of skewers and the pushrods are skewers ,too. Connections all with heat shrink tube.

Quick Reply