The Trottel - a simple and versatile aerobatic/3D machine, free plan - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jun 25, 2017, 11:08 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
If your using cheap 5 gram servos you can enhance their performance and life span by taking the top off and greasing the gears liberally. I use a #6 cut off round paint brush and Teflon based grease. Make sure you get lots on the output bearing surface, which is just a molder plastic shoulder.

Once done, work the servo on a tester for a few minutes. The first thing you'll notice is how nice and quiet they are.

Good to do on those cheap 9 gram ones too. Actually, I do this to all my servos, even the expensive MG BB digi ones.

Lots of grease at the top keeps the water out.
Goldguy, would this Super Lube product with PTFE work well in servos?
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-92...51NFB5WNN6AF1K

Or do you have a favorite brand?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2017, 01:08 AM
flyin' fool
A friend who was a mechanical engineer gave me a tube of the grease I'm using about 30 years and it's the only thing I know. Lubrication product have come a long way since then and I've never kept up.

The servo manufacturers use some kind of white grease, just never enough.
Jun 26, 2017, 04:34 PM
scratchbuilder
Excellent Trottel, Frank!

jivago: sorry for answering late, but here are some pics that may be helpful.
Jun 26, 2017, 10:21 PM
flyin' fool
The Trottel is no fool when it comes to performance and fun. My maiden revealed a decalage issue and after trimming it out found this to be true for sure. Once the fix is done properly the inverted should improve. Other than that, it's a rock solid rock n' roller. Love it!! Best 'wing on a box' ever.

Since this is now my favorite parkie, I'm building another in EPP for longevity.

Mine is built with MPF, weights in at 220 grams RTF, powered by a Sunnysky X2204/1480kv spinning a 7X5 SF prop on 3S 500s, a 12A ESC, 4 cheap 5 gram servos and a 6 ch Orange RX. I made the ID of the fuse 1 5/8"/41mm wide and added 1"/25mm to the tail moment. I glued wooden coffee stir sticks on the sides from the motor mount back past the LE, with a foam tray between for the battery mount. Oh, and the twin servo ailerons are 1 7/8"/50mm wide and I've got about 45 degrees throw on everything.
Last edited by goldguy; Jun 26, 2017 at 10:30 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 10:24 PM
flyin' fool
Thomas:

Notice the colors?
Jun 27, 2017, 04:13 PM
scratchbuilder
Yes, nice!
I put the Trottel on floats and tried it today- works fine!
Pics and video will follow.
Last edited by Thomas B.; Jun 27, 2017 at 04:19 PM.
Jun 27, 2017, 04:31 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Thomas:Notice the colors?
The German flag!!!!

Used to see it all the time when Michael Schumacher was active in F1.
Jun 28, 2017, 09:01 AM
scratchbuilder
Excellent! You did a german Trottel and I made a canadian Shrimp!
Jun 29, 2017, 02:29 AM
Plans printed, MPF is ready to cut, and electronics are standing by. I hope to build this while visiting family before I go to FFE2017.
Jun 29, 2017, 08:28 AM
flyin' fool
Of the two we've built here, both needed a bit of positive incidence in the wing.
Jun 29, 2017, 11:20 AM
scratchbuilder

Water Trottel

Trottel am Rhein (2 min 14 sec)
Jun 29, 2017, 11:40 AM
Nice water flying. The headstand at the end was great. Is there a plan for the floats? Can you show a side view and an underside view of how you mounted them? Thank You!
Jul 05, 2017, 10:59 AM

Another great design

This one is 6mm depron . Comes in 20 x30 inch sheets painted pink from local dollar stores. LG is removable and I may try floats . I put a small piece of 3mm depron under the leading edge of the wing for a bit of positive incidence. Flew very well the first time we tried it.
Jul 17, 2017, 02:18 AM

MPF Trottel

I was able to build mine out of 6mm MPF at Flite Fest East and in my hotel room. I added a 6mm or 3/16" Bass wood dowel for the leading edge and to give some stiffness, not to mention it helped me sand less on the leading edge shape. I used White gorilla glue throughout, except for the servos , I mounted them with Hot Glue. I used a A2204-14 1400KV Brushless Motor for power, 3 9 gram servos, a 6 channel LemonRX DSMX receiver, 800 mah 2S LiPo, and a 12amp ESC. I built it for just tossing around and boring holes in the sky. I don't do 3D at this time. It was a lot of fun to build and fly. Now to install the wing tips and add some more packing tape for color and to assist orientation.

Thank You for the great design.
Jul 17, 2017, 09:03 AM
Out Standing In The Field
^Nice work, neat looking job!
What size prop are you using?

Quick Reply