Nov 26, 2020, 01:44 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
Thank you Dave! Thatīs what gives sense to drawing plans. Pilots who enjoy the planes.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2020, 12:38 AM
Sonex Builder and Flyer

Trainer Trottel

It was a rainy and cold weekend, so I built another airplane. This one is based on the Trottel. I built the profile fuselage out of foam from a shipping box, and increased the wingspan to 700mm with a little dihedral for newbies like me. I jokingly call the paint scheme "urban camouflage" . The landing gear is easily removable. Hope the weather improves soon so I can maiden it.
Nov 30, 2020, 05:53 AM
flyin' fool
Like!
Nov 30, 2020, 01:36 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
+1!
Nov 30, 2020, 03:41 PM
Slow Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDave
It was a rainy and cold weekend, so I built another airplane. This one is based on the Trottel. I built the profile fuselage out of foam from a shipping box, and increased the wingspan to 700mm with a little dihedral for newbies like me. I jokingly call the paint scheme "urban camouflage" . The landing gear is easily removable. Hope the weather improves soon so I can maiden it.

TexasDave,
Nice plane , can you please send more picture for the landing gear...i never build one that last.
Thanks
Dec 01, 2020, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Nice, what a cool idea.
Dec 01, 2020, 02:46 PM
Sonex Builder and Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by herreraa
TexasDave,
Nice plane , can you please send more picture for the landing gear...i never build one that last.
Thanks
I formed the landing gear from some scrap .032 wire using my soldering iron. I glued a piece of plastic to the fuselage where the gear was to be attached and made some holes through the fuselage with a hot soldering iron. I used pieces of bbq skewers to hold the gear in place. I've had about 10 flights and, so far, it's held up well. Nothing fancy, but it works.
Dec 01, 2020, 02:48 PM
Sonex Builder and Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael763
Nice, what a cool idea.
Thanks, Michael. I've had about 10 flights and have yet to crash it. It flies amazing well, even with a newbie pilot like me. I plan to post a flight video later today.
Dec 01, 2020, 03:37 PM
Slow Flight
Quote:
I formed the landing gear from some scrap .032 wire using my soldering iron. I glued a piece of plastic to the fuselage where the gear was to be attached and made some holes through the fuselage with a hot soldering iron. I used pieces of bbq skewers to hold the gear in place. I've had about 10 flights and, so far, it's held up well. Nothing fancy, but it works.
Dave,
Thanks for the pictures , very ingenious!!
Can you share the thickness of the body of the plane? I have a 3/4 in of pink foam that i want to use , and i wonder if it need to be thicker as the plans?

Thanks again

Alex
Dec 01, 2020, 03:43 PM
Slow Flight
Quote:
Thanks, Michael. I've had about 10 flights and have yet to crash it. It flies amazing well, even with a newbie pilot like me. I plan to post a flight video later today.
Dave,
i have a just a Suppo 1804 2480kv motor available I was wondering if that is too small?
How is your plane doing with the 1806, good..to small..just correct?

Looking forward to see that video.

Thanks
Alex
Dec 01, 2020, 04:16 PM
Sonex Builder and Flyer
Quote:
Dave,
Thanks for the pictures , very ingenious!!
Can you share the thickness of the body of the plane? I have a 3/4 in of pink foam that i want to use , and i wonder if it need to be thicker as the plans?

Thanks again

Alex
Hey Alex,

The foam I used was actually from the box my UMX Turbo Timber was shipped in. It is 7/8" thick. The Trottel is so light. I think your 3/4" foam should work fine.

Dave
Dec 01, 2020, 05:02 PM
flyin' fool
Caution.............

The ends of the RX antennas should be at a 90 degree angle to each other and extended.

As shown it's de-tuned and could result in loss of bind while flying.
Dec 01, 2020, 11:52 PM
Sonex Builder and Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Caution.............

The ends of the RX antennas should be at a 90 degree angle to each other and extended.

As shown it's de-tuned and could result in loss of bind while flying.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm new to this hobby and am learning new things daily. I appreciate your advice and will correct my error.
Dec 02, 2020, 12:32 AM
Slow Flight
I am starting my Trottle, i need to learn how to use ailerons..and practice with my son. We just cash a small model warbird because we just fly a 4 channels.
My Jupiter Duck is broken and my Slowly V2 as well.

So Trottlel is our next plane.
I am using solid body made of 1/2in of pick foam and i also a KFM3 airfoil, i always wanted so see how it flies. I used a dowel and tape to support the wing becuase the dollar tree foam was weak.
Dec 02, 2020, 06:02 PM
Quote:
I am starting my Trottle, i need to learn how to use ailerons..and practice with my son. We just cash a small model warbird because we just fly a 4 channels.
My Jupiter Duck is broken and my Slowly V2 as well.

So Trottlel is our next plane.
I am using solid body made of 1/2in of pick foam and i also a KFM3 airfoil, i always wanted so see how it flies. I used a dowel and tape to support the wing becuase the dollar tree foam was weak.
Love the weights. I am sure that you will enjoy your Trottel.

Quick Reply