Sep 12, 2020, 04:22 PM
Slow Flight
what the name of the tape you use? and where can i find it? thanks
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2020, 04:28 PM
Slow Flight
about the wing , step should be 50% but i the drawings, wing core is160mm and step is just 70mm...that is judy 40%

does anybody knows why?

thanks
Sep 12, 2020, 08:09 PM
looking up, down under
who is judy ?
Sep 12, 2020, 08:12 PM
Slow Flight
that is just 40%.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sep 12, 2020, 08:47 PM
flyin' fool
Some make it 50% of the wing without the ailerons, some include them.

Since I going for light, I went with flat and a different aspect ratio for the platform to increase the area of my 20" wing. So far I'm at at 125 grams total without the LG.
Sep 12, 2020, 08:48 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
who is judy ?
My better half!
Sep 12, 2020, 09:06 PM
Slow Flight
Goldguy,
I never built one , just saw a drawing and neve thought on including or not the flaps ....thanks for that clarificatio.

However , for 160mm wing chord substracting 40mm flaps , that is 120mm, then 50% should be 60mm but the step is at 70mm not at 60mm.
So i am still lost.

I am thinking in modifying a regular airfoil of a Savage Bobber, mi plan is to have a 95mm wing span, but i want to take advantage of a big ailerons , like the Trottle and i do not know if i need to increase wing chore or just increase the size flaps to 25% like the Trottle using the same wing core of the orginal plane.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks
Last edited by herreraa; Sep 13, 2020 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Sep 13, 2020, 01:15 AM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by herreraa
mi plan is to have a 95mm wing span
you must have really good eyesight
Sep 13, 2020, 07:49 AM
Slow Flight
correction 95cm.
Sep 13, 2020, 01:57 PM
flyin' fool
I have big ailerons because I fly a lot of 3D type maneuvers where the air speed is low and the input needs to rely on the prop thrust.

I then just add an extra aileron servo and change them to flaperons in the TX programming.

The size of ailerons or flaps in more about how you fly and the kind of reactions you expect from the control input. I really don't follow any hard and fast rules, if it looks right to me then that's what I go with. I'm not always right and am constantly modifying and fiddling around with my setup until it suits my flying style, which is pretty extreme and or not so pretty at all.
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 13, 2020 at 02:07 PM.
Sep 13, 2020, 02:03 PM
flyin' fool
When it comes to the wing dimensions I tailor them to wing area and wing loading. Building light with a low wing loading is always my goal, because it's the difference between a great flying model and a crappy one.

I always start with a doodle and do the math, then work towards my projected flying weight.
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 13, 2020 at 02:08 PM.
Sep 13, 2020, 02:11 PM
flyin' fool
With flaps/flaperons I use three flight modes ..................

#1 ............... take off flaps (flaps only)
#2................ no flaps
#3................ landing flaps (with down elevator)

You can also use these features to pull off some wacky aerobatics.
Sep 13, 2020, 02:13 PM
flyin' fool
If you not sure about measurements just check what others have done successfully.

Although, I would start off with ailerons/flaperons at 25% of the cord.
Sep 13, 2020, 04:53 PM
Slow Flight
many thanks for tbe advice!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sep 13, 2020, 05:38 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by herreraa
Goldguy,
I never built one , just saw a drawing and neve thought on including or not the flaps ....thanks for that clarificatio.

However , for 160mm wing cord substracting 40mm flaps , that is 120mm, then 50% should be 60mm but the step is at 70mm not at 60mm.
So i am still lost.

I am thinking in modifying a regular airfoil of a Savage Bobber, mi plan is to have a 95mm wing span, but i want to take advantage of a big ailerons , like the Trottle and i do not know if i need to increase wing core or just increase the size flaps to 25% like the Trottle using the same wing core of the orginal plane.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks
Itís not an exact science. 40% or 50% will work. Most people say use the chord without ailerons but Iíve done it with and the wing still works. Very forgiving design for model airplanes.

Quick Reply