Jul 08, 2019, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
Well done, Paul! I like fahrradtaugliche planes.
Good that it's OK....

Not 100% satisfied so I just did a strengthening plate for the wing (top) and glued half of a lolly stick vertically into the front tongue, much stiffer and stronger but I did the plate in white plastic so pictures don't show up.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2019, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael763
I like the removable wing concept with the 3D printed wing screw. Did you design it or find it on Thingiverse?

Designed it myself, not really complicated, the main thing was getting a thumb screw that didn't need tools and the large 10 sided head can easily be turned with thumb and forefinger and spreads the load. The only problem with printing threads that I have is that they never fit so I use the scaling function in the slicer to reduce/ enlarge to get clearance. In this case I had to print the screw 96% so 4 % less than 'true size' but I can't break it apart with my bare hands and it screws in nice and lightly. If it all works I will put it onto Thingiverse if anyone want's it.

Paul
Last edited by PaulB; Jul 12, 2019 at 11:07 AM.
Jul 12, 2019, 11:05 AM
Finished her around 3 this afternoon and this was at about half past.

No U/C or decals, do them tonight or tomorrow but did earn a beer 'cos the maiden was a success.

Cheers Thomas,

Paul

Trottel (8 min 29 sec)
Jul 12, 2019, 01:41 PM
flyin' fool
Told ya' so .
Jul 12, 2019, 01:44 PM
flyin' fool
I like the detachable wing idea. Got another 'full sized' glued up and may do the same.

I've got mine fine tuned and it will hold knife edge, even do KE loops.
Jul 13, 2019, 06:53 AM
Personal circumstances throw some funny cards, I am an ex-pat Brit living in Germany and have done for over 30 years. Recent developments (Brexit) mean that it would be in my best interests to take out German citizenship for which I have applied.

Just built a model designed by a German called (translated) 'The Fool'.....

Paul(derneuendeutschetrottel)B
Jul 13, 2019, 04:23 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
That's great.A Brexit Trrottel. So sad to loose the brits- but welcome Paul!
Jul 14, 2019, 12:18 PM
TNX Thomas....

So I am thinking wheels and tow launching the cheap 'Lidl' style EPP gliders converted to RC for some mega cheap midget sized fun. Trying to decide between wire and 3D printed and got to thinking about maybe a single central wheel and 2 mounted out on the wingtips. Sound like it could look cool but I couldn't remember what I glued the tip plates on with, can't remember because I forgot to fit them, dohhhhh!!!!

Fancy forgetting to build half of the model, what a Trottel!!!!!!

Fitted now so back to thinking about wheels and legs, found some aluminium legs with foam wheels but 40 Grams so going to have to come up with a solution.

Paul
Jul 23, 2019, 08:13 PM
Would a Eflite Park 400 be worth using on this? I have one and a 18A ESC not being used.
Jul 24, 2019, 12:07 AM
flyin' fool
If you use that motor/ESC, make the model bigger to keep the loading down, as they are more than twice the weight of what most are using. I'm sure you batteries are heavier too.

How much bigger? Do you know how to estimate the loading?
Jul 24, 2019, 08:01 AM
I can pick up a new motor and speed controller. Just had that sitting around. I get a littlemoverwhelmed when looking at motors as there are so many. Plus I don't want to wait on it coming from China. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for the reply
Jul 24, 2019, 12:52 PM
flyin' fool
My best power installation on the 24 incher is a Sunnysky 2204/1480 kv which weights 20 grams, spinning an 8X3.8 prop, a 10A ESC, 3S 520 lipos , a 4ch RX and 5 gram servos.

My FB uses a Racestar 1806/2280 kv drone motor at 20 grams on 3S spinning a 6X3 prop.
Aug 10, 2019, 03:24 PM
So I had to make a set of 'Big Boy's Boots' today because I had some Man Time and Mother In Law wanted new curtains a couple of weeks ago.......

I found a bent U/C in a draw so I knocked up a 3D printed mount and some 'out field suitable' wheels.
Aug 10, 2019, 04:11 PM
Oh Yea,

forgot to explain the MiL and curtains thing........

So we have a small group of Guys who meet up regularly at our field to do aero-towing which is fine, but sometimes I get a sort of feeling that if your glider (or tug) is small enough to fit in an estate car that you are sort of looked as like 'the poor cousin', hate that mentality.....

Many years ago we had soooooooo much fun with small 3.5 cc powered models hand launched a dragging small (up to 2 meters) also hand launched, gliders. Fast Forwards a few years and I used to drag an Pibros delta glider up with a Panic Bi-Plane using a sacrificial matchstick taped onto the nose and the tow line tied to the tug U/C.

MiL wanted some new curtains and I was in a shop called the Danische Bettenlage bored to tears and I spotted an EPP kids chuck glider for 2.99, hummmm, couple of micro servos and a micro receiver?????
Aug 10, 2019, 09:46 PM
flyin' fool
Some don't appreciate that to fly small is to have a ball.

Quick Reply