Nov 05, 2018, 03:56 PM
The Trottel has flown. Bit tail heavy at first but soon sorted and then had 3x successful flights. Very responsive but a great little model. I have built the Kung-fu with success and now the Trottel with success and now onto the Kwirl.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2018, 10:37 AM
sweet dreams & flying machines
Fantastic 'plane (my first four channel). Foambaord (paper removed), KMF2, 206g with 3S/370maH , 236g with 3S/800maH (or 1000maH 2S). Gartt F2204/1800kv, Xrotor 20A ESC from the discard multirotor bin, 7x6 APC style prop.

Cut directly from the dimensions published by davereap and a bit of TLAR. Perfect for the winter winds.
Nov 20, 2018, 09:07 AM
Here's mine, not done yet but getting there. Going to be a cool little plane! Thanks Thomas!
Nov 20, 2018, 09:50 AM
flyin' fool
That's a lot of rudder and elevator area there Dave. Rudder authority is effected more by height then width.

Even though I lengthened the tail moment on mine to smooth out the elevator and rudder response, only a small amount of input produces a big response. Knife edge, flat turns, stall turns, snaps and spins take very little input.
Nov 21, 2018, 04:40 AM
Seems like I always make the control surfaces "a little bigger"
Nov 21, 2018, 11:10 PM
flyin' fool
There reason we use oversized control surfaces is when we rely on prop wash and not ground speed for control, as in flying 3D. Although, air speed would be a factor too on a windy day. And, as when in knife edge (and other maneuvers) the rudder now becomes the elevator and the elevator the rudder. But with the rudder being totally above the hor. stab, it's actually only half an elevator.

It's easy to compensate these factors with the Trottel as designed, even with the short tail moment.

Keep the Exacto handy.
Last edited by goldguy; Nov 21, 2018 at 11:18 PM.
Jan 01, 2019, 02:20 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP

Trotteldecker

Happy New Year!
Here is the second flight of my brand new Trottel biplane. Exactly the same wing, slightly longer fuselage. Looks a bit like a mini Panic bipe.
First flights were very promising!
Happy New Year: Trotteldecker (1 min 30 sec)
Jan 01, 2019, 06:13 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Very nice, Thomas!
And from the sound of that wind, it handles it very well!
Jan 02, 2019, 07:22 AM
Flies pretty good and looks pretty good too!
Jan 02, 2019, 03:23 PM
flyin' fool
That's a real beauty.

I took my lil' T to our 44th annual new years day fly-in where most models were big and many IC powered. It was a hit and got lots of interest from the big guy crowd.
Feb 03, 2019, 10:17 AM
Yesterday Maiden
Feb 03, 2019, 04:40 PM
flyin' fool
Feb 04, 2019, 08:04 AM
Nice looking Trottle! Those colors really pop!
Feb 05, 2019, 01:09 AM
If it flies - I want one!

Trottledecker plan?

Thomas B, are you planning to do a plan for the Trottledecker - looks like a lot of fun to fly!
Cheers,
PeteM
Feb 05, 2019, 02:38 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
Yes, I will make a plan. But it will take some time as I have to finish another project before.

Quick Reply