RESolution V2 - RC Groups
Oct 21, 2016, 10:54 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Build Log

RESolution V2

So my RESolution V2 showed up today, just in time to replace the almost-completed Riser 100 on the build board.

I expect to get started later today. The first part of the build will be somewhat in parallel with finishing the Riser, which is just about ready to cover the wing, install the radio and sort out the last few bits of the wing attachment.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2016, 11:37 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Well, that was quick. Since I couldn't work on the Riser's wing (epoxy is still setting), I cleared the board and got started on the RESolution's fuselage.

first impressions are VERY good. Pretty much perfect fit for the pre-cut parts.

Laying out the ply reinforcements:

adding stringers & spacers:

Oct 21, 2016, 11:52 AM
Nice, One of the planes that I want for the supposedly ease of build and quality of the kit. Please let us know
Oct 21, 2016, 03:16 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
So far the kit impresses. The instructions seem to gloss over a few things on the wing build, but look excellent for the fuselage/tail.

That said, after starting the fuselage, which can readily be assembled based on the illustrations, it became clear that I was going to need to translate the manual to build the wing. Which I'm now doing with the aid of Google Translate. I'll be sure to post the completed translation.
Oct 21, 2016, 08:35 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Got the fuselage sides together about the core formers. Also installed the hook mount at this time (it's actually part of the next step, but makes sense to do here instead.

And while waiting for the 5 minute epoxy to set I glued up the noseblock. I added the optional piece R16.1 which is a spacer to allow use of a smaller 800mAh square pack instead of a 2+2 AA flatpack.

Oct 21, 2016, 09:21 PM
Seems to be quite a fast build.
Oct 21, 2016, 09:37 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan
Seems to be quite a fast build.
The fuselage is VERY straightforward. The only gotcha so far is that you want to locate & install the 24.1 and 24.2 spacers before you put in front former R13. These spacers are critical to the shape of the front fuselage and are a pain to install after R13.

Frankly, I expect to wrap major construction on the fuselage tonight. I need to sheet the bottom, install the pushrod guides & nosecone and sheet the top. Not really all that much work left.
Oct 21, 2016, 10:40 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Sheeted the bottom fuselage. No shortcuts here, just almost perfectly fitting bits. The front will lose the slight steps when I round the corners

And the one part that didn't fit. Or to be exact, you need to trim the front end (instructions say to trim, but are less specific about end. A test fit shows exactly where to trim).

Installed control rod guides and sheeted the top rear

Rod guides have built-in routing guides. Fit perfectly and a little epoxy has them secured

Be sure to install these two spacers before former R13, or be prepared to do some tweaking

And mounting the nose cone

Oct 22, 2016, 10:59 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Assembled most of the tail bits this morning. Straightforward as usual. Pics in the next update.

Next project for the morning is getting the poly braces installed in the Riser, once those are done I'll get started on the RESolution wing.

Yes, this is a STUPID fast building airplane. I'm pretty sure that an experienced builder with a large building space could easily build this plane in 2 days. The only spots where you really need to let anything sit for more than 20-30 minutes is when installing the wing joiners (both at the centre and when joining the tips), which are the only two spots where slow setting Epoxiy is used. Since you only need the plan for a couple spots when building the fuselage (locating the R24.x spacers/hook mounts and getting the fuselage straight when adding the tailskid/stab mount & front former) you can pretty much build up the wing on the plan and do everything else separately.

Frankly, for a speed build, I'd build the wings up then do the fuse/stab. You can almost assuredly get the fuselage ready to fly by the time the wing joints have cured.
Oct 22, 2016, 06:21 PM
f5b-uk
I've recently completed a RESolution electro. I built the fuselage and tail a couple of years ago and then got sidetracked and the project was shelved. I wasn't looking forward to the wing, partly due to the German instructions, but it actually went together very quickly and I needn't have worried.
It has flown several times since and performs very well. You'll have a big smile after the maiden flight, I'm sure.
Oct 22, 2016, 10:41 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Mike, glad to hear that. The wing, specifically the root rib sandwich, is the only part of the build that really concerns me. Everything has gone together pretty smoothly so far.

And here's the tailfeathers shot as promised earlier

Oct 23, 2016, 12:33 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Framed up the left outer panel this morning. The instruction have you build inners then outers, but it's easier to build left then right if you have a small board, as I do. I do plan to build up the right before I join the left panels, in case I need to do any adjustments at the root.

Oct 23, 2016, 12:51 PM
Wow moving right along. Build looks real good.
Oct 23, 2016, 01:25 PM
supreme being of leisure
trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible on these krautRES planes...so:
are these are pultruded tubes?
what diameter and wall thickness are they?
is the trailing edge plywood? and if so what thickness?
Oct 23, 2016, 04:27 PM
I doubt they are pultruded... will negate any idea about flex resistance...
These tubes can be even done in house pretty easy...
Get a round rod, wax for easy removal, pull a carbon mesh like this, impregnate with some epoxy, and bandage with some duct tape, that will be removed after epoxy cure. The resulting wall will be about 0.2mm