Pat Tritle's 60" wsp DC-3/C-47 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 20, 2016, 10:54 PM
Discussion

Pat Tritle's 60" wsp DC-3/C-47

Pat is doing a prototype DC-3 build thread on the Scale Kit and Scratch Built forum. Will be a typical Tritle "stringers showing" laser cut balsa/ply model capable of slow scale like flight in small fields. Will have flaps but no retracts, to save weight. Full kit to be sold by Brodak/Dare.

I'm looking forward to building this one.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2757613
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2016, 12:48 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.
+1. Another amazing Title design.
Robert
Oct 26, 2016, 09:31 PM
Onward and upward.
Would a light set of retracts put it overweight?
Oct 27, 2016, 01:27 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.

Yes you can...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12
Would a light set of retracts put it overweight?
Pilatuspc,

There is no doubt that you could add retracts.

The weight of the retract units is not the only or even main issue. The weight really piles on when you start modifying the spars and supporting structure to mount the retracts and to allow the wheels and struts a place into which to retract. That most often leads to a big hole in one or more spars. You then have to engineer small but heavy doublers to carry the loads across the big chunk you had to cut out of the spars .... and so on.

Don't ask me how I know this.

A lot of the charm of Pat's planes is that they lumber slowly around the sky and have very benign stall characteristics because they have absolutely no unneeded structure.

That being said, payne999 and WAGliderGuy, have modified Pat's DC 6 design to accept retracts and they were both very happy with the results. .

No matter what you do, if built with reasonable care you will have a great looking, great flying plane.

If it were me, I would enjoy the DC 3 as designed.

Robert
Oct 29, 2016, 10:26 PM
I have been at this hobby for a long time but have never tried retracts, they seem to be fiddly and failure prone in addition to the overall weight added as noted above. I rationalize lack of retracts saying that our models don't go from point A to B, but spend their lives mostly taking off, circling the field, and landing. I also think that scale 3 and 4 blade props are great for display but you can't usually tell the difference when they're spinning. I have never installed working lights either but might make an exception with Pat's DC-3.

PS: Brodak is shipping the DC-3 full kit now, I have mine. Came in a cardboard protective outer package, normal kit box full of goodies inside including a DVD with assembly instructions.

Go to Electric Scale forum for Pat's typical build thread on the DC-3:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...glas-DC-3-C-47
Last edited by E-Challenged; May 04, 2017 at 03:54 PM.
Sep 10, 2017, 12:08 PM

Anybody Building Pat's/Brodak DC-3 Yet

Mine is still in box. Had a number of surgeries which has disrupted my building activity, but not flying. Will have right knee replaced in late October and building will resume before Christmas. I have looked through the kit and find it quite complete, not a "short" kit. Built light per plans, it should be a slow scale-like flyer. I plan to have Callie Graphics make American Airlines flagship graphics plus side window graphics with passengers.
Sep 22, 2017, 12:52 PM
Has anyone managed to mod retracts into this? I love the look and build of the kit but can't seem to make myself buy it without the promise of working retracts that have a scale look.
Oct 16, 2017, 10:00 PM
Scale looking retracts should be doable with a little silver soldering. The design is intended for typical slow scale-like flying based on low wing loading and low power. Added weight of retracts shouldn't seriously affect flight performance as long as the airframe, power system and RC gear are kept light.
Oct 17, 2017, 10:43 AM
Silver soldering is something I've never tried. I'm thinking I'll save that task for another project. I'll just build this one per the specs for now. Maybe upgrade it in the future.
Oct 18, 2017, 11:18 AM
I looked around the internet for ready-made retracts to fit Pat's DC-3. Apparently Hobby King's similar sized DC-3 ARF comes with scale-like retracts that were "off-the-shelf"items. Apparently HK doesn't currently stock/sell the retracts as replacement items.

I don't think that I could cobble up scalish-looking retract legs that would be solid and sturdy enough laterally to be satisfactory. T'would be nice if Robart, etc., could produce relatively inexpensive and small enough lightweight retracts for DC-3 models in this size/weight range.

Would like to see some examples of small DYI light weight DC-3 retracts, not requiring machinist skills, fabricated from common brass tubing and music wire.