Oct 24, 2016, 07:28 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Wow, quick start Rodger.

Wade told me about this thread, I don't get over here very often. I have the template outlines and root and tip chord of my homemade airfoil I will send. That's how I usually build if plans aren't available.
To answer one question, the Fury is 1/10th scale, 41" long and about 50" ws counting wing tanks. I used a 28-36 1400kv motor on 4s-5000 to balance it. AUW of about 4.75 lbs. A little heavy I thought but flies very light on it's wing.
Nut put a really nice flight on it at St. G and the batt still had about 70% capacity left.
The fuse mold is heavy as hell. Ultracal 30 works really good for a fast mold, wet sands very nice to smooth any blemishes. But you have 30 minutes working time and at this size it was difficult to get one half done before it started curing. Hence, I had some thin spots and heavy areas.
Great start Rodger, keep at it.

J
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2016, 10:16 AM
Classic jets rule
Thread OP
Thanks for looking in John.going to start a fuse lay up this morning.these mold seem very brittle now that there dried out.i did wet sand them to smooth them out.i used 3 coats of pva on fuse.i only did 2 coats on the wing tank and had a hard time getting the part out.im thinking of making parts cleaning them up ,sand smooth and making new fiber glass molds. I think there are 4 or 5 guys that want to build one of your jewels of the sky.guess i should start a list.
At least we know this flies really nice.pusher,belly lander edf or full house edf should be fun.
Oct 24, 2016, 10:50 AM
EB-66C Team Member
That may be a good way to go Rodger. As you know, I mostly do one-offs so don't worry about multiple pulls. About the only things I pull multiples of are the wing tanks.
And yes, I was surprised at how well it flies.
I'll get those templates out to you by tomorrow. Please PM me your address.

J
Oct 24, 2016, 12:24 PM
EDF rules... :)
Rodger,

Keep me in mind for one.

Eric B.
Oct 24, 2016, 02:13 PM
Classic jets rule
Thread OP
Ok ill make a list later
I got rhe gelcoat applied and it cured....but i needed at least an hour to lay it up.but i ran out of time. So i cut the cloth a layer of 2oz. And one of 5.8oz.
Oct 24, 2016, 05:21 PM
Classic jets rule
Thread OP
ok I started a list on page one first post ...if you think you may want one pm me or post on here .
it will be a short kit ,fuse ,wing tanks ,canopy ,and maybe wing &stab cores. some templates for major wood parts (maybe lazer cut)
I leaning towards making a fuse then smoothing it out and make some quicky epoxy molds as im not sure how well the ultracal 30 molds will last I can use one of the ultracal mold halfs as the parting plane. well see got to get my wing core maker going . not sure on price either ,would like to be able to kick John some funds for his work on this ,and to be able to make it worth my time . it's just a sweet little simple jet that should be a blast to fly ....and it is of course designed by John Morgan .might be your only chance to own and fly one of the best builders on RCG designs.
Oct 24, 2016, 08:39 PM
EB-66C Team Member
I don't need any funds, save that money and make it cheaper for the folks.

J
Oct 24, 2016, 08:47 PM
Classic jets rule
Thread OP
will do and ill make one for you too .
been doing research on the FJ-1 there is not a whole lot ,but there are pics and a few 3 views.
Oct 25, 2016, 06:33 AM
EB-66C Team Member
I ran into the same problem. But that happens to me all the time while doing builds of aircraft that weren't built in large numbers. Only 31 Furys built. It does teach you a lot about building though when you have to figure it out yourself. I think 75% of my builds are from just 3 views.
I have the building templates( wing and stab planform) and my airfoil hot wire templates for the wing and stab that I'll be sending.

J
Oct 25, 2016, 02:17 PM
Classic jets rule
Thread OP
Got one half laid up...pretty easy.
On a sad note i herd that Bob Hoover past away today. 94 year old ...fly on Bob.
Oct 25, 2016, 04:35 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Nice work Rodger. Those molds are "easy" to horse around, aren't they?

J
Oct 25, 2016, 06:14 PM
Classic jets rule
Thread OP
yeah a good work out ...they sound really brittle when you ding them on something. I bet they dried out when you aged them in storge. I have the half sitting on a almost 100 year old ironing board that my grand pa made from a old foot pump organ wood and screws look really old . but it work well . im running out of work space ,sure miss my old place with that 5 room barn .
Oct 25, 2016, 11:07 PM
smug in granny panties
Awesome subject to model! Oh and use old t-shirts in the ultra cal, soak them in the ultra cal and put in mold, beefs it right up. And if you wax and ova plug you can use good old shellack as gel coat for cal.

Barry
Oct 25, 2016, 11:53 PM
Classic jets rule
Thread OP
hey there Barry where you been hiding hav'nt seen you around . thanks for the tips on the ultracal . these molds were made for a one off build . the plug was bare foam sanded smooth and sprayed with PAM I believe , I have since wet sanded them a bit ,waxed and PVA 3 coats. I think the old T shirts would improve the strength of these mold for sure .

Quick Reply