Oct 19, 2016, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

CompuFly USB to PPM Converter V2 Do You Have 1

If anyone has one or can answer my question I would be greatful.

I am looking at buying one of these as I want to use a Joystick to fly mmy plane via my Spektrum 6 radio. Problem is I am missing a crucial piece of the picture in terms of hardware.

As I look at the product it has a USB A Male connector which is Peripheral, and Peripheral plug into a Female Host for power and instructions. In other words into a laptop or PC.

A USB Joystick has the exact same male Peripheral plug. So something has to go in between the two male plugs to supply power and control communications. Two males do not mate.

Was there a joke in there somewhere?

What am I missing. I hope it is not a Lap Top or PC. Not going to work and I will have to build a Arduino shield and PPM Encoder myself.

But if this thing will work and do what I want, I want one. But got a pretty good idea it takes a lap top to join the two together.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2016, 03:23 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Scroll down to the 'Similar Threads' list and see if anything there helps, otherwise you're talking a foreign language to this non-techno old f**t

Ray.
Oct 20, 2016, 09:48 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Been done here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1313076
and here: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...-control-plane
and here:
Flying an EasyStar with a Joystick (5 min 40 sec)

Go Google!
Oct 20, 2016, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
Thanks but can anyone answer the question. What hardware interface goes between the Joystick and CompuFly USB to PPM Converter?
Oct 20, 2016, 01:59 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Pretty sure you're pioneering here, so the answer is most likely "whatever you come up with".
Oct 20, 2016, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
Pretty sure you're pioneering here, so the answer is most likely "whatever you come up with".
Perhaps but I do not think so because it is a commercial product for sale and is suppose to convert a HID Joystick to PPM. It has been done many times already by the Pioneers with Arduino Host Shield and Micro-Controller. I can go that route, as I have to code and a tron store 2 miles from me to buy the Arduino.

However I would rather buy one, it is less expensive than building one, in a much smaller form factor. Problem I am having is the USB is a Male Plug and you cannot join that to the same Male Plug on any joystick you buy. They are both Peripheral devices and get their power from the female Host Socket.

That means there has to be something in between them to at least provide power. and possible control of the back and forth communications between the two device.

I cannot find any information how that is suppose to be done. I know there are owners out there that know as the product has been out a few years. So I am not the Pioneer, just late to the game.

I know of one way to do it via a laptop. Hope that is not the case as it defeats the purpose.
Nov 28, 2016, 02:57 PM
from watching a video about the CompuFly V2, it appears you will need your laptop at the field, as your Transmitter connects too the CompuFly V2 USB to PPM converter via the trainer port, then your joystick connects via the normal USB port and the software on PC is what sends the joystick inputs too the plane via the converter being attached too your TX.
Nov 28, 2016, 02:58 PM
On this site, they show a demo video of it working:

http://www.flytron.com/rc-electronic..._jr_or_similar
May 08, 2017, 06:38 AM
Hi, DAL2855, you seem like an expert, I have everything you mentioned, Laptop, CompuFly v 2, connrcteg to my HITEC transmitter to trainer port, joystick. All seem to work separatly, but when I connect them all via computer, it does not work. What should I look at?
May 11, 2017, 12:00 PM
This is what you want, but it is not cheap...

http://emrlabs.ca/shop/index.php?mai...hb4dg531dr5sj3
Last edited by red_five; May 11, 2017 at 05:20 PM.
Oct 31, 2017, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAL2855
from watching a video about the CompuFly V2, it appears you will need your laptop at the field, as your Transmitter connects too the CompuFly V2 USB to PPM converter via the trainer port, then your joystick connects via the normal USB port and the software on PC is what sends the joystick inputs too the plane via the converter being attached too your TX.
Hi,

Apparently he is using a USB HUB (powered I think) to connect all the devices + the software on the PC.

I Received one today and will try to configure it during the weekend.

regards,

P.
Nov 09, 2017, 04:34 PM
It works!!!

Joystick -- usb hub -- cable -- radio
\ - pc with sw

You need to have the pc on and with the sw on also....

Quick Reply