Oct 19, 2016, 01:25 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
Thread OP
Build Log

Aichi D3A1 val 1/32

so i have a pt-17 that died. warped, somehow. so im using those guts. the new 23mm can motors can handle a lot more weight. AUW was in the 43 gram area, and i had no problem with loops from level. so my target AUW is 40 grams.
building at 1/32, so that comes out to 17.68 inches. i grabbed a 3 view, and scaled it to print at 1:1 size for a 1/32 val.
i wanted a monoplane with fixed landing gear, but the stuka is dog ugly, and done to death.
right now i have a simple profile glider im using to get the CG right. the AS3X brick i hate, (cant do rudder only turn, it stalls and fall out of the sky at the throw rates i like.) i might end up using a HK DSM2 brick later.
electronics come in at 17,5 gram, no battery. im not using the batter for ballenece. i like to run different batteries so i put them right over the CG.

ill post pics later. hoping to keep weight down and use flaps.
might end up using a balsa frame with dollar tree inserts. i really hate the floppyness of the treefoam.

not sure if i want a full fuse or just a profile. tissue is out. unless i have esaki its just not worth it. im aiming for TAER with flaps and dive bombs. ill have to see how well the flaps work. heavy slow planes are fun. i remember flying the um trojan with a keychain camera and a 500 mah battery. AUW was close to 50 grams, with long very scale take offs. thats what im trying to replicate.

on another note, the stock PZ 3 place prop is 13% larger that full scale. so that is good. might go with mossy wheels, the 3 view had bloody big wheels.

will be using micro push-pull cables for the controls. (1/16 3:1 heat shrink tubing with high E string guitar wire, very small gauge.

at library now, so ill post pics when i get home later.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2016, 06:53 AM
ror
ror
Hi,

i love this plane, and if you want a good kit, try Diels Ing. His Val is a little bit bigger (20") but bery beautiful, and no problem for flaps
Oct 20, 2016, 08:55 AM
Oh! Just love model
I look forward to seeing your build. This is a great looking type and has been on my to-build list for a while.

August
Oct 21, 2016, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull
... will be using micro push-pull cables for the controls. (1/16 3:1 heat shrink tubing with high E string guitar wire, very small gauge.
Looking forward to learning

Gene K

Quick Reply