Oct 18, 2016, 04:55 PM
Let me fly in Green Air
Thread OP
Build Log

1/3 scale Cherokee Build-N72DG

There a few issues to be settled before the build could start. One was it had to be easily assembled at the field, another was self rigging. To accomplish this a few deviations were made to the plans.
With the use of the full scale drawings some of the actual hardware could be made to scale. I have been able to use screen shot , Photoshop and the printer on my computer to lift the information off the .pdf prints of the full size to make some of them.
The tow release was my first project while I was waiting on the Sitka spruce to arrive for the airframe.
The release turned out pretty good for just the use of a drill press, bandsaw and sander. However I did have to make three before I was completely happy, but all worked.
Made from 0.015 half hard steel 1020 shim stock, it required annealing before bending to prevent cracking.

I'll keep adding to this post
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2016, 07:13 PM
Retired CAD guy
Nice work Gene !

You might use a little wire spring to "keep" the release closed.

Be sure to smooth off all of those edges.
Wouldn't want to fray the tow line.

;>}

bob
Oct 18, 2016, 08:05 PM
Let me fly in Green Air
Thread OP
Bob,
I have already got that covered. Not quite scale but works just fine.
Oct 19, 2016, 11:34 AM
Let me fly in Green Air
Thread OP

Jig board

With the materials at hand the jig board was set up to assemble the sides of the fuselage. The sides and nose section were built using both the full scale plans and short kit parts.
Oct 19, 2016, 06:32 PM
Retired CAD guy
Looking even better.
That's about what I was thinking you should do.

The rest is looking very nice too !

I won't be recommending ANY NOSE WEIGHTS !
Oct 19, 2016, 06:39 PM
Fabulous work Gene!

Norm Whittle
Oct 20, 2016, 04:07 PM
Let me fly in Green Air
Thread OP

Fuselage construction

I started this project with the kind oversight of Dean Gradwell. He has seen the progression by photo as it happened but insisted that a build log be started. I have build four true scale (so to speak) model sailplanes so far with the help of the full scale owner. In this case Dean is also a modeler making it much easier to talk scale, but without whose oversight would make it nearly impossible to duplicate the scale features of the Cherokee.
If your planning to build a scale version of and existing sailplane it is well worth the effort of contacting the owner for help an insight.

Now on with the build:

Missing Caption:
The false leading edge and leading edge were left on until shaping was complete. It is much easier to shape a continuous edge that two separate and have them come out the same.
Last edited by justhuman; Oct 20, 2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: missing caption
Oct 20, 2016, 10:45 PM
Gene,

Great pictures and just the right amount of information!

Dave Smith
Oct 21, 2016, 09:54 PM
Let me fly in Green Air
Thread OP

Overloked the obvious

Have ever got into the building mode and just overlooked the obvious? Well in this next segment that is just what I did. I glued the upper fuselage former's in position to temporarily place the stringers to get the ending of them correct. I was going back over the photos on Deans restoration when it came to me! you can see thru them. To fix this I traced the former's onto 1/64 plywood and cut out reinforcing rings. After gluing them in place the center of the rings were carefully removed before proceeding. It may not be my last mistake though.

Now the character of N72DG is starting to show up.
Oct 25, 2016, 12:29 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Very nice, Gene. Cockpit details are one of my favorite parts of a build.
Oct 25, 2016, 04:46 PM
"the analog man"

N27dg

Gene, Thanks for posting your progress. As usual, looking very good.

Thanks,
Larry Fitch
Oct 26, 2016, 05:12 PM

Cockpit detail entry#11

Gene

Photo #6 & #8 The former just to the right of the control stick where it curves inward and then down to the floor. I notice that the corner of the former at that point is rather rough. Please fix it.

Fred
Oct 26, 2016, 06:13 PM
Fred, you beauty!

Quick Reply