Oct 18, 2016, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help with DEVO 12S 3-in-1 module & Deviation software

After many hours of reading and watching videos, I’ve decided to purchase a DEVO 12S transmitter to fly my current aircraft as well as future BNF aircraft from different manufacturers. What really attracts me is the multi-protocol ability, the large color touch screen and the ease of programming. There is a TON of info out there on hacking/reprogramming other DEVO models , not a lot on the 12S, just little bits here and there. What I’m looking for are clear instructions and/or pictures on these tasks related specifically to the12S.

#1. How to install the 3-in-1 multi-RF module (Banggood CC2500 NRF24L01 A7105, $30.99) into the DEVO 12S. I see lots of posts that say it’s similar to other DEVO models but in my book “similar” turns into problems. There are lots of videos of the 7E and 8S, a few on the 10 but I haven’t found anything specific to the 12S.

#2. How to install the Deviation software into the 12S. I am not confident when it comes to downloading, programming, changing files, etc. I can see not getting the “modify the .ini file” part screwed up. Clear instructions would be great.

#3. How to program in what protocol to use for a specific model. Or does the 3-in-1 module transmit on ALL of the protocols all the time and that wouldn’t be necessary?

Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2016, 05:15 PM
slats move, slots don't
#2. Plenty of clear instructions here:

Getting started with deviationTx
Oct 30, 2016, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHK View Post
#2. Plenty of clear instructions here:

Getting started with deviationTx
Actually, there isn't. At least not for the 12S.

There is no definitive wiring diagram for the 3 in 1 module for the 12S.

Also the pictures in the banggood page for the 3 in 1 module are wiring is incorrect including incorrect numbering of the module with a picture of a non 3 in 1 module.

Following these instructions will lead to tears.

I have had 1 attempt and it failed trying to follow the configuration for the Devo 10. By using the labelling found in a Deviation post that labels the location and the pin / pad names for both ends of the wire.

I will continue to try and then eventually post working wiring for the 12S.

Cheers
Oct 30, 2016, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Thanks bjr981s.

I've spent many, many hours reading everything I can and come to the same conclusion that there isn't much info on the 12S. I did read through a bunch of threads on the Deviationtx forums and one guy appears to have done it successfully. If I go with the 12S I'll contact him and see if he will assist me. I'm not sure if I want the headache of doing the 12S, may go for the 8S.
Oct 31, 2016, 01:59 AM
With Devo8s you will have more headaches, you will need solder third chip select wire from 3in1 module to MCU pin. Devo12s has three PCB pads for it.

Connection info for 4in1 module:
http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-d...tart=940#55157
Oct 31, 2016, 09:41 PM
Vlad makes a good point. I have given up on the 3 on 1 module for the 12S I have read reports of issues with the 3.3V regulator being overloaded as well.

I am going to go with the 4 in 1 board, simply because it is a plug swap with the standard TX module. I have found that if you remove the main board completely you can solder a header pin from underneath to give you a fully pluggable solution if you only want to use 3 modules any any one time.

You can swap around the 4 available modules then simply by adjusting the ini file to select the 3 you want at that time.

This eliminates any risky soldering.

The 2 pads options identified to activate the last module is a risky solder joint if your vision and holding skills are not that good and you don't have a < 30W soldering iron with a very fine tip.

I will post again when my 4 in 1 Modules arrive and I get that working.

I am also trying to buy a couple of mainboards from Walkera to try and trace out the wiring and create a third header pin to allow a full connector plug and play system for all the modules.

It may take a couple of goes drilling through the main board and not striking an inner track.

I don't think a surface mount solder connecting for a header pin on the exposed identified debug pads would be strong enough. But maybe a soldered and then epoxied SM header pin would work.

Cheers Brian
Nov 01, 2016, 04:54 AM
I will use google translated to write, and I apologize for any error

I have a radio walkera 12s, and I want to buy a module 4 in 1, on Bangood site, though I did not understand which version should I choose when asked FLYSKY, FrSky or JR ... what difference? which one to buy?

thanks Gianluigi
Nov 01, 2016, 06:46 AM
This one:
http://www.banggood.com/CC2500-NRF24...l?rmmds=search
Nov 02, 2016, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_vy View Post

thank you
Nov 02, 2016, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Vlad & Brian. I'm waiting with baited breath.
Nov 03, 2016, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougT View Post
Vlad & Brian. I'm waiting with baited breath.
Hi Doug,

I have an outstanding question on the deviation site re the 3 in 1 and 4 in 1 modules.

There may be an issue with the 12S and the 4 in 1 module. Its not clear yet.

The VCC requirements of the 4 in 1 module exceed the 1S battery that powers the 12S. It wants above 4.5V and the F12 has a 1S 3.3V empty - 4.2V fully charged battery.

The 3 in 1 module clearly states 3.3V required.

I have removed the main board on a 12S and soldered header pins to the main solder points you would use for the 3 in 1 module.

There is 1 pad that I will need to solder a wire directly but it will go to a plug or socket.. The plan is to have a completely plug and play solution that will allow the 3 in 1 and 4 in 1 to be easily interchanged. No further soldering required.

I also have an RF meter with dummy load. So I will be able to power test all the modules both 3 and 4 in 1 for power output.

Not going to get this done overnight though. The missus has jobs for me also. Doh.

Cheers Brian
Nov 03, 2016, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
What about adding a small voltage booster transformer? They're all over ebay for cheap, many are adjustable. Tap the power leads on the load side of the power switch.
Nov 03, 2016, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougT View Post
What about adding a small voltage booster transformer? They're all over ebay for cheap, many are adjustable. Tap the power leads on the load side of the power switch.
Thanks for that. I will add it to the list.

Firstly I need to complete my detailed research before I come up with a solution.

I have investigated the OEM "S" upgrade module for the Devo 8 and the Devo 12. To make them S models. Its the same part number So one would assume that it either has.
  • The same voltage feed on the 8 and the 12.
  • A range of Voltage acceptable like 3.3 to 6V (1S on 12 and 4 AAs on the 8)

I wont know till I measure them.

Cheers
Nov 18, 2016, 09:59 AM
Thread OP

Picked up a Devo 12, want to convert to S

I picked up a Devo 12 off the classifieds a few weeks back. It had Deviation already loaded on it but no modules. I'd like to convert it to a 12S (telemetry) and get the module added at the same time. A couple questions.

#1. Will the Banggood 4-in-1 module Vlad linked to support telemetry if installed in the 12?

#2. Since my Tx already has Deviation on it, what will I need to do to get the 4-in-1 module operating correctly?

Thanks.
Last edited by DougT; Nov 18, 2016 at 11:22 AM.
Nov 19, 2016, 12:38 AM
#1. Yes, 4in1 will support telemetry.
#2. You need solder 3 wires (7501, 2500, 2401) to pads on Devo12 pcb, and edit "hardware.ini" file.

Quick Reply