Holybro Shuriken X1 **Owners Thread** - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jan 08, 2017, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnmsmushy
Hey~ I covered it in my video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo58-os0cAs&t=1m13s

I made a diagram at 1m13s, hope it helps!
thank you so much!!! I added that video to my fav and subscribed

p.s. i enjoyed the borderline-p0rn-groove music in the beginning LOL (just kidding). It's a great video with great index and information in the description. I wish all long review videos have this. Keep up the good work man!
Last edited by mythek; Jan 08, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2017, 04:22 AM
Awesomeee thx for your support!
LOL! Now that u mentioned it... Hmmmmmm.. I'll brb.. XD
Jan 09, 2017, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Awesomeee thx for your support!
LOL! Now that u mentioned it... Hmmmmmm.. I'll brb.. XD
LOL the flight video at the end was awesome too. I think I watched your video like at least 7 times. At the end, I remember you mentioned about a trick to arm when your copter doesn't want to, by doing "FULL THROTTLE, YAW LEFT, AND PITCH BACK" . I understand the first two moves, but what does "Pitch Back" mean?

I spent a good 12hours since yesterday to set up my Shuriken X1 to work with Taranis X9D Plus from scratch. This is my first RC copter ever (actually my first RC anything), and it was definitely much more complicated than I could ever imagine. During that 12 hours, I brilliantly managed to brick my x9d+, and miraculously figured out how to unbrick it (thank god ). I think I got everything to work now. I haven't had a chance for maiden yet, but I'm extremely happy and excited just to be able to control the X1 with x9d+ without props. The sound of the motor is music to my ears.

I saw a ton of videos for both taranis and x1 on youtube, but the two videos that helped me the most were Mnmsmushy's and RcAddict's (respectively):
Holybro Shuriken X1 Review, from www.gearbest.com (12 min 25 sec)
HolyBro Shuriken X1 : Initial Overview and Setup (20 min 20 sec)

I don't mean to knock on the other videos, it's just that these two videos were more noob-friendly :P

The only thing that I still need to figure out is how to configure the fpv ccd cam setting using the included CAM SETTINGS CABLE. Anyone who figured it out please share, I will do the same if i figure it out first. THanks
Last edited by mythek; Jan 09, 2017 at 08:09 PM.
Jan 09, 2017, 08:44 PM
Mythek: thank you for your support!!
I'm glad that the video helped you

Wow this is a very nice quad to start off with, and given its capabilities, it will be able to last you a long time
Yeah the taranis isn't exactly user friendly, but once you get used to it, it's alright :P
Awesome that u got it to work!

Did you get the telemetry going as well?

Regarding the cam settings cable, if I'm not wrong, you need to remove the pod to gain access to the rear of the camera.
Behind it you will find two connectors, one which goes to the PDB (and vtx),
The other one is not in use, and is where the cam setting cable goes to. I didn't have to adjust anything on mine though..
And I don't have the quad with me atm so this is just from memory..

Regarding the full throttle yaw left pitch back, by pitch back I meant pitch up, or moving the stick down
That way u allow the accelerometer to reset, and allow the copter to arm even when it's hanging upside down

Other methods include "set small_angle = 180"
Or disable accelerometer.. ;P
Jan 11, 2017, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Mythek: thank you for your support!!
I'm glad that the video helped you

Wow this is a very nice quad to start off with, and given its capabilities, it will be able to last you a long time
Yeah the taranis isn't exactly user friendly, but once you get used to it, it's alright :P
Awesome that u got it to work!

Did you get the telemetry going as well?

Regarding the cam settings cable, if I'm not wrong, you need to remove the pod to gain access to the rear of the camera.
Behind it you will find two connectors, one which goes to the PDB (and vtx),
The other one is not in use, and is where the cam setting cable goes to. I didn't have to adjust anything on mine though..
And I don't have the quad with me atm so this is just from memory..

Regarding the full throttle yaw left pitch back, by pitch back I meant pitch up, or moving the stick down
That way u allow the accelerometer to reset, and allow the copter to arm even when it's hanging upside down

Other methods include "set small_angle = 180"
Or disable accelerometer.. ;P
Thank you for helping me, that's the least that I can do. I think I got telemetry to work, because everytime i disconnect battery from X1, the taranis says "TELEMETRY LOST". Thank you for the clarification on the force arm trick. I didn't get to fly at all because it was raining the whole day, hopefully it clears up tomorrow.

regarding the cam settings, I went as far as removing the cam. On the Cam-Setting Cable, one end goes to the cam itself, and the other end has two wires. The Yellow wire is for video feed (output) , and the other wire is, I believe, for power source? Not sure how to power it up. (refer to attachment)
Jan 11, 2017, 05:31 AM
Let me get back to you regarding camera settings

Regarding telemetry, I don't think u got it to work yet, it does require some programming on the tx side

Saying telemetry lost when quad is powered off always happens, because by default you will get RSSI feedback and receiver voltage telemetry in your tx

With telemetry enabled, u can get a lot more data. Although I must say I only use one data: flight battery voltage
Jan 11, 2017, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Let me get back to you regarding camera settings

Regarding telemetry, I don't think u got it to work yet, it does require some programming on the tx side

Saying telemetry lost when quad is powered off always happens, because by default you will get RSSI feedback and receiver voltage telemetry in your tx

With telemetry enabled, u can get a lot more data. Although I must say I only use one data: flight battery voltage
aww man just when I thought I was almost done setting up the X1. You're right about my Telemetry, I now suspect that it's not working. On the model Telemetry page (page 12/12) on the Taranis X9D plus, I only get one or two sensors working. The weird thing is I don't see the options to "DELETE SENSORS" or "DISCOVER NEW SENSORS" at all. I remember seeing those options a few days ago when I was trying to hook it up with the Shuriken X1, but now they're not there. Also on the Radio Setup "HARDWARE" page 7/8, I have Serial Port set to TELEMETRY (attachment 5 )

I went back to all the steps taken to set everything up, I don't remember missing any step. Now I wonder if my Shuriken X1's telemetry wire was soldered properly
Last edited by mythek; Jan 11, 2017 at 05:05 PM.
Jan 11, 2017, 05:00 PM
Thats weird, if u never saw the "discover new sensors" at all, it would be because your tx firmware hadn't been updated yet
But if u saw it before......

I don't have the tx with me atm, but could you take a look at the menu again? There are some helpful YouTube videos out there

The settings in betaflight do not affect what you see in your tx, and they look correct to me anyway

You need to let your tx "discover new sensors" and the new numbers should come up

What ure interested is, is the VFAS
Then you can set up a "logic switch" Or something, basically if VFAS < 14.3, trigger vibration or some sound so you know your batt is low

14.3 for 4S
Jan 11, 2017, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Thats weird, if u never saw the "discover new sensors" at all, it would be because your tx firmware hadn't been updated yet
But if u saw it before......

I don't have the tx with me atm, but could you take a look at the menu again? There are some helpful YouTube videos out there

The settings in betaflight do not affect what you see in your tx, and they look correct to me anyway

You need to let your tx "discover new sensors" and the new numbers should come up

What ure interested is, is the VFAS
Then you can set up a "logic switch" Or something, basically if VFAS < 14.3, trigger vibration or some sound so you know your batt is low

14.3 for 4S

I got it figured out! I updated to the correct 2.1.9 opentx firmware and i now see the options to delete or discover sensors. My telemetry now has 13 working sensors

once opentx firmware has been updated, the X9D+ stopped communicating with Shuriken X1. After several rebinding attempts that didn't do anything, I reset betaflight configuration and changed everything back to optimized settings (using configurations from RCADDICT's youtube video).

Everything works now, however I discovered ONE of the motors was extremely hotter than the other three. I also smelt something funny, like a burned smell. I couldn't see anything burned by visual inspection. I'm still able to arm and all motors are still spinning. (there's still one motor that is just significantly hotter than the other three)

Under the MOTORS page on betaflight configurator, MOTOR #1 (the one that's extremely hot) is spinning at max 2000RPM while the other 3 are under 1500RPM. Any idea why one motor is spinning at full speed for no reason?
Jan 11, 2017, 08:11 PM
Don't really understand what's going on, could you recalibrate your escs? Hopefully nothing died..
Jan 12, 2017, 06:46 AM
I reflashed blheli 16.6 firmware and used BLHELI CONFIGURATOR to change Mini/Max throttle to 1016/2012. The issue of having one motor stuck at 2,000RPM seems to go away. Now I have 1 motor not spinning until I touch the yaw stick, please see the video below starting at 0:43.

one motor is not spinning, starting at 0:43 (2 min 49 sec)

Does that seem normal?

Below is my betaflight config for reference,
betaflight config shuriken x1 (0 min 50 sec)
Jan 12, 2017, 06:56 AM
how are you making the motors spin?
may I also assume there are no props on it?

ure supposed to select "i understand the risks........... enable motor control"
and then slide the master tab in betaflight configurator up to see how the motors are responding

i'm not sure what's going on cause I have never powered on the motors with bf config connected, but if there are no props on it and the quad is trying to self level, the quad is probably not level on your table, with motor 4 being at the low side and motor 1 at the high side

as a result, when it's trying to self level, it powers up motor 4 in an attempt to level the quad, and powers down motor 1 for the same reason.
however there are no props so it's never going to be able to do so.

In any case, as mentioned, use the master tab in the configurator to control the motors to see if they all spin up normally
Jan 13, 2017, 12:46 AM
the motors spin because I armed them while having it connected to betaflight. (yes the props are off). WHen the RPM jump around, that's me moving the controller sticks. I hope what you said is true, it's been raining thus I'm unable to test my drone at all.
Jan 13, 2017, 02:12 AM
Thats what I thought.. U could try them on ur table before bringing them out

As long as the fc is able to address the motors properly on ur table, it should be ok
Jan 13, 2017, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Thats what I thought.. U could try them on ur table before bringing them out

As long as the fc is able to address the motors properly on ur table, it should be ok
i feel a little bit better after watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBaefeQtA1c

hopefully it doesnt rain tmrrow so i can test.

Quick Reply