Can I use GPS modul from DALRC OSD also in Skyline32 FC? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 17, 2016, 06:29 AM
Question

Can I use GPS modul from DALRC OSD also in Skyline32 FC?

Hello,

I built my own first quadrocopter with "Skyline32 Acro Flight Controller" (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=85524) few months ago and now I would like to move my flying experience with OSD to the next level. I'm thinking of buying DALRC OSD (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=dalrc).

I have FC without GPS now and my question is. Is it possible to use the GPS module from the OSD also for my FC at the same time? I mean I would like to create "Y" cable for signals.

What do you thinkg guys? Is it possible? Does the GPS module have the standard format of signals?

Thank you very much for every help
Berny
Last edited by Bernard Williams; Oct 17, 2016 at 03:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 05:14 PM
Vortex Generator
Hi Berny,
I have the same question!
I just started a thread and asked this question in the 'Drone Electronics' forum.
Did you get an answer on this? I also want to use the GPS unit for the OSD and the FC at the same time.
Nov 09, 2017, 06:12 PM
If I were a betting man, I would not put money on it working. Serial (RS232) isn't designed to work in a two host, one slave type of arrangement.

Far easier / more reliable would be to get an AIO (all-in-one) flight controller that has the OSD built in, then you would connect the GPS directly to the FC.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:19 PM
fools? at least i'm honest :)
my thought is theoretically yes, why not you just try it, perhaps only need two wire TX+RX for the FC

but! i'm not quite understand
if you put that GPS alone for the FC only, your GPS Coordinate would be showed on OSD it self, so the questions is why need both to provide a GPS?
Nov 10, 2017, 12:05 AM
Vortex Generator
wc112782,
My current FC doesn't have an OSD built in, but could i use an external one?
If i plugged a GPS into the FC, then the FC goes to an OSD, would the OSD be able to display GPS co-ordinates?
Will other info from the FC also display on the OSD? Eg can i get an artificial horizon from the gyros and accelerometers?
Nov 10, 2017, 10:48 AM
ChopLift3r, it's possible, but it depends on the hardware, firmware, and configuration. For minimOSD, there are a few popular firmwares, and yes, you connect the GPS to the FC, and the FC will relay the GPS coords to the OSD. The other info (artificial horizon, current consumption, etc) can be shown too, if everything is setup correctly.

However, what exact firmware and configuration is needed, I have no idea. I find minimOSD really annoying and don't follow it really closely.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:23 PM
Vortex Generator
ok great, thanks for your thoughts. That gives me a direction to take, i'll push on and see what happens!