Carolina Custom Kits 1/5 Taylorcraft build - RC Groups
Oct 15, 2016, 08:58 PM
Build Log

Carolina Custom Kits 1/5 Taylorcraft build

My vvrc 21cc has been looking for a home and I ran across Mark's website. Reviews of these kits are awesome so excited for it to come together! Plan is to build it to the plans with a few changes here and there. First build of something this size so please chime in if I'm doing something wrong! Please don't be shy.

The club has a sport scale competition late spring and the plan is to have it done for that.

Got the tail all pinned up ready to glue. Need to cut 3/8 square balsa for the rest then it's glue time. Dry fit the wings together too just to have a look at them.

One point of concern is fitting this engine. It's a tad long per the plans so any suggestions of shortening part of a firewall are well welcome!
Last edited by slidewaysgts; Oct 17, 2016 at 01:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2016, 09:12 PM
Closed Account
Nice project; as to the firewall dilemma: without seeing the Section details of the firewall I was wondering if you can cut the area required for your engine clearance out of the firewall and then build a box on the backside of the firewall to enclose the engine and maintain the strength of the firewall. This would be a lot of extra work in order to enclose your particular choice of engine and there isn't a lot of room, with the fuel tank in place, to do this revision. If it were my build, I think it would be less trouble to select another engine. Hopefully others will chime in and offer you a more workable solution for your Taylorcraft.

Soft landings,

Joe
Oct 15, 2016, 10:58 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Yeah I think a false firewall set-up, like a lot of AT-6 Texan kits are setup may be your best bet. Or at least a hole in the firewall that you can protrude the carb through and get the engine far enough back on the mount. I've seen a lot of rear carb engines set-up that way. But like Piper Joe said, you'll have to move the tank back or maybe use two smaller (RST type) tanks, "Saddle" style, on either side of the carb.

Mike
Oct 16, 2016, 12:22 PM
Mark Ackerman
Corey,

I'll take a look at the specs of your engine. I think I can design a firewall/engine mount that will have a cut out for the carb and send it to you. Probably can get it done this week.

I designed the kit with the Evolution 15-20cc engine in mind because of the front carb but I'm sure there will be plenty of guys with your your dilemma.

Mark
Oct 16, 2016, 12:31 PM
Mark Ackerman
Can't seem to find a manual with a drawing online. Anybody have one? Is there one with the engine? If not can you lay the engine by a ruler and take some pictures in different directions? Thanks
Oct 16, 2016, 01:09 PM
Woah no way! I'll get pictures when I'm back home!
Oct 16, 2016, 03:04 PM
Baboon McGoon
Thanks very much for posting this thread! As a result, I just bought an updated one of these from Mark. Been looking for a nice-sized Taylorcraft for quite a while now and thanks to you I found it. Taylorcrafts are just an absolute joy to fly. Building mine should make my long Minnesota winter much more enjoyable. Mine will be electric with a Power 60 motor.🙂
Oct 16, 2016, 08:06 PM
Mark, I'm really embarrassed by this awful drawing but here's dimensions on the engine. Let me know if you need different dimensions for it.
Oct 16, 2016, 08:44 PM
Mark Ackerman
No need to be embarrassed. Looks fine and it will work. I'll see what I can do in the next couple of days.
Oct 16, 2016, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKits
No need to be embarrassed. Looks fine and it will work. I'll see what I can do in the next couple of days.
Wonder how many kits you can buy, try to put on the wrong engine, then have it fixed for you. Top notch Mark!

Got the tail all glued up tonight. The notches for the balsa square makes lining everything up super easy. Great attention to detail in the design of this kit. 74 pieces of wood in this section by my count.
Oct 17, 2016, 01:09 AM
Started on a wing this evening. I use magnets to keep them aligned when the glue is still just starting to set. My machinist square has been the best tool purchased thus far though.
Oct 17, 2016, 09:06 AM
Mark Ackerman
Let's start with a simple fix and see if it will work. Use this drawing to cut a hole in the firewall and see if you have enough clearance. Then I'll decide what steps to take from there. Thanks
Oct 17, 2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks Mark! I'll take a look when I get home and see if this will work.

In the picture I held the engine up next to the plans, you can see highest point with the engine inverted is that large idle screw. Some internet reading shows me that once the throttle linkage is setup I can actually remove that and just set idle with trim which frees up some space. The other thing to note is the two black screws beneath that which are the high and low setting screws that I will need access to when getting the engine tuned in.
Oct 17, 2016, 02:37 PM
It sure looks to be a problem to fit all this engine needs into the space available, less engine's really the best option. Don't get me wrong I love overpowered airplanes and I love gas (hate glow more) but there are smaller gas engines around that would just plain work better, also theres not going to be much left of the cowl on the muffler side either.
Doc
Oct 17, 2016, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerAviation
It sure looks to be a problem to fit all this engine needs into the space available, less engine's really the best option. Don't get me wrong I love overpowered airplanes and I love gas (hate glow more) but there are smaller gas engines around that would just plain work better, also theres not going to be much left of the cowl on the muffler side either.
Doc
The angle of the picture is deceiving for the muffler side. The width and height of the cowl will be no problem, its just getting the engine far enough back and up high enough.

The muffler will actually completely fit under the cowl and will need a little extension on the pipe to make it out.