Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 04, 2019, 07:41 PM
Plane Nuts
Can you get me a good deal.on a nice DLG? Lol.

Looking good David. Get video of the maiden!

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2019, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianspork226

Speaking of 3d printing, you guys seen this??? Amazing. And if you ask me I think it's the future of scratch-building this is what got me to take the leap and buy a consumer grade 3d printer. I have a very "tools, not toys" mentality... up until I saw these guys products, I didn't think the consumer grade 3d printers were up to the task of making airframe parts, much less entire airframes. Check it out! Pretty awesome!

https://3dlabprint.com

-david
Personally I would rather have a cnc that could carve foam like the one you used does - foam is cheap and it's so much faster than a 3D printer - doesn't it take about 100 hours to print out a decent sized plane? I'd love to build a kit of your plane - I can understand why you wouldn't make this a kit, but still, I love your design and would love to put a big plane like that into a dive and then a low level speed pass in front of the flight line. Flying it from the sand would be a blast as well!
Jan 09, 2019, 07:51 AM
Warbirds Lover
Very very nice work guys, i'm impressed and look forward the next steps !!

Congrats
Jan 09, 2019, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash
Personally I would rather have a cnc that could carve foam like the one you used does - foam is cheap and it's so much faster than a 3D printer - doesn't it take about 100 hours to print out a decent sized plane? I'd love to build a kit of your plane - I can understand why you wouldn't make this a kit, but still, I love your design and would love to put a big plane like that into a dive and then a low level speed pass in front of the flight line. Flying it from the sand would be a blast as well!
yea the foam gets cut faster, but applying the composite shell to it is what eats up time. the allure of the 3d printed airframes, for me at least, is that there is WAY less touch labor involved, as long as you are OK with the finish that comes off of the 3d printer. The amount of time spent filling and fairing and glassing and sanding and filling and fairing is substantial in build like these... if i can set a 3d printer running for a week straight, confident that i will have sturdy, good looking airframe parts ready to install at the end of that week, ill take it.

the hangups for me with 3d printed airframes at this point are:
1 - the materials are just not there yet. PLA is too susceptible to heat - cant leave the airframe in the sun, in a hot car. PLA is also very brittle; it shatters pretty easily
2 - the finish is OK, depends on printer and slicer and material quality to some extent, but if you want to have a nice smooth sleek finish you are still priming, filling, sanding.
3 - strength - it takes a tremendous amount of 3d design skill and time to design airframes like 3DLabPrint does, to make them stout enough to fly and handle average landings. This also ties back into material limitations - the material is just not that strong YET

however we also have to realize that consumer grade 3D printers really only got good enough to do this kind of work reliably in the last 3-5 years, we are still at the very beginning of this. The machines will get exponentially better, as will software. The other part that needs to and will evolve are thermoplastics that make better airframe components than PLA and ABS - if there is enough interest in doing these sorts of structures, then the industry will respond by investing R&D $$$ into developing plastics that do all of this better.

this really is just the beginning. and i dont think that CNC routers or mills are going to ever be obsolete... but i think we will begin to see 3D printed major airframe components become more and more common in the next decade, especially with the next generation of scratch builders being more on the digital side of the hobby, and less conventional craftsmen type hobbyists... the art and skill will be in the design of the airframe structure and integration of different technologies, while the hands-on time and actual building time investment will be less and less... they dont really teach "shop" classes in schools anymore unfortunately -they do have "technology" classes though... there are 3d printers in public libraries now... this is the way things will evolve

well that went long. thanks for checking out the build guys! more to come soon...

-david
Jan 10, 2019, 11:59 AM
wing hinges are done! and they work! they need to be reamed to make the pins easier to remove / install, but they work!

out of town for a week or so, but may be able to get some design work done on the remaining challenges while im gone:
landing gear doors, cargo bay doors, actuators for all that, spinners, servo pockets / hatches... control horns...

the end is in sight finally

-david
Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Pro Hoarder
Impressive work...it looks great
Latest blog entry: In flight
Yesterday, 04:47 PM
Thanks!

I had the thread moved (thanks mods!) From scratch built foamies to giant scale, I'm hoping you guys can chime in with advice and general commentary... I think this build was a little out of place in the scratch built foamies forum... Even though it is mostly foam lol

-david

Quick Reply