Oct 10, 2018, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
Wow this is one of the cleanest and professional foam build I ever see, and the aircraft locks fantastic.
The only sad part is that the build process is difficult to replicate because the lot of machinery involved.
Anyway a pleasure to follow

Btw, Can you post more details about flap mechanism?
if this flies well, my freinds and i are thinking about making molds for a hollow molded glass / carbon version of this plane... there is a slim chance. but it would be cool. if it flies well it should be quite a fun utility aircraft - good for FPV and bush flying and stuff. something different.

-david
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2018, 10:12 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
hi david just subbing!!
Nov 08, 2018, 01:25 AM
Thread OP
Got the main gear mointing areas bonded and faired in. Nacelles faired, sanded and glassed. Nosegear plate glassed in. Cable access/pass-thru from battery bay to cockpit area cut in. Some other stuff I can't remember got done too :/

More pics later of glassed nacelles. I forgot to take pics of those after sanding and glassing.

-david
Nov 15, 2018, 12:13 PM
Thread OP
decided on a name for this airplane.

the "Jackalope"

plausible, fictitious animal - plausible, fictitious aircraft...

more pictures soon.

-david
Nov 28, 2018, 12:27 AM
Thread OP
Lots of progress to report

Hatch interiors glassed and edge potted, except for nacelle hatches.
Nacelle tops /hatches are faired in and sanded nice, gonna glass those soon.
Cut some holes thru floor of nacelle areas of spar- for wire pass thru for retract leads
Battery hatch louvres started.... Not looking great yet, but started.

Got the main landing gear suspension designed. Learned solidworks (again lol) and I should be able to get almost 3" of suspension travel for the 6" tires... So I should be able to take off and land on really horrible runways and soft sand or gravel without too much trouble. Components for those will be 3d printed and others either milled from either glass or carbon or phenolic plate but possibly aluminum, not sure yet. Depends on what's laying around to some extent... The shocks/springs are out of a 1/8 scale rc truck. Should be pretty cool . The suspension assemblies will protrude from the bottom of the nacelles a bit when retracted but I think it will be worth it... I want to fly this plane from some pretty challenging places.

Got new linear servos for the flaps. Had ordered some slightly smaller ones but they didn't feel strong enough. I'll keep those for the main gear doors I guess...or for something else, not sure yet. But the new ones are plenty strong. Got the mounts for those designed to fit under the nacelle hatches, they will be 3d printed from ABS along with the attachment points that connect them to the flaps.

Cut new spars and roots for the wings and tail surfaces. Hotwired the main wings into pieces, bonded the spars back into the wings, faired it all in and last night my buddy Mike and I bagged the wings with kevlar in place for the hinges for the ailerons and the slats. They came out pretty good .

What else...

Trimmed the nacelle glass on the landing gear pocket openings, filled some hangar rash dents, faired those in.
Fit checked the plane in my car, it fits

Scoped out some servos, I think I'm gonna use KST servos for most of the surfaces, the glider guys out here use them and seem to have good luck with them. Cheaper than hitec which is what I was gonna go with... Which is good because I'm gonna need... 9 of them- 4 good strong ones for the rudders and elevators. 4 for ailerons and slats but won't need as much oomf from those. Nosegear steering can't be a weakling either I suppose. Gear doors-hoping I can use the tires to push levers to retract doors or something... But I'll use micro servos there if I have to I guess. Bombay doors-probly those extra linear servos...or maybe just one of them? They'll have a fair amount of resistance on them while opening and closing during flight due to airflow... We shall see.

Mounted the motors again just for kicks really... keeps the motivation up.

I think that's it... Rcgroups won't let me upload pictures at the moment... Keeps saying it failed... I'll try again tomorrow

-david
Nov 28, 2018, 03:18 AM
RC Aircraft Junkie
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the pictures. Haven't seen you at the flying field in a long time. Are you flying some where else?
Nov 28, 2018, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the pictures. Haven't seen you at the flying field in a long time. Are you flying some where else?
no, not flying much at all really. days are shorter now, work is busy, and any free time i do get i really just want to get this plane done. trying for before christmas but... we shall see. theres still a LOT to do.

but we might go fly on friday at the san ysidro field. the waves are supposed to be huge today though so im gonna go punish myself in the little bit of daylight i do have left this afternoon if i get out of work at a decent time

ill try and post progress pics later today

-david

Edit: still cant upload pics... RC groups support forum said that they switched servers and they are trying to work some bugs out. ill try in a couple days
Last edited by hawaiianspork226; Nov 28, 2018 at 05:45 PM.
Nov 28, 2018, 10:24 PM
Plane Nuts
In San Luis Obispo for 10 days - waves forecast to be 15' with peak around 20-25' next couple days.
Nov 29, 2018, 12:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason
In San Luis Obispo for 10 days - waves forecast to be 15' with peak around 20-25' next couple days.
yea, fun stuff

you gonna come down to san diego?

-david
Nov 29, 2018, 08:46 AM
Plane Nuts
Wish I could - we are playing at Camp Roberts this week. Work trip.
Jan 03, 2019, 06:13 PM
PSALM 14:1
Excellent progress!
Jan 03, 2019, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
MAKS 2017 - Amazing flight display by YAK-130 - HD 50fps (6 min 43 sec)

ran across this video the other day. really makes me want to finish this plane! They look sorta similar... hopefully mine will look that cool doing maneuvers

-david
Jan 03, 2019, 11:14 PM
Very cool project!!!

What where you vacuum bagging on the wings? Is that FG with epoxy using Mylar for the glass like finish?
Jan 03, 2019, 11:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599
Very cool project!!!

What where you vacuum bagging on the wings? Is that FG with epoxy using Mylar for the glass like finish?
yep exactly that. my buddy Mike makes gliders at our shop. Hes really nailed down the bagging process, gets great results every time now. I coulda done it myself, would have came out OK... but with his help they came out SUPER great

-david

Quick Reply