Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 23, 2018, 03:11 PM
Yeah. Trying to carve time out to keep progress going but work got a little intense the last couple days. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I can keep going.

-david
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2018, 03:18 AM
Productive day

Majority of glassing is now done - got bottom and top of wing center section and the stationary part of the stab done plus some other areas.

Cut new motor mounts out of thicker carbon plate and cut nosegear mount plate out of thinner carbon plate. The aluminum motor mount plates supplied with motors came in larger than I thought they would... So I just made new ones.

Dug out the spar bays, they still need cleanup but they look fine

The ESC's look like they will fit in a few different places... So there are some options there.

Also weighed it - so far the assembly in the pictures below with canopy is 2310 grams...

-david
Aug 26, 2018, 03:13 PM
wow that was fast! thanks Mods!

just moved this thread from electric pusher jets to scratchbuilt foamies because.. well because it is a scratchbuilt foamy!

-david
Aug 26, 2018, 08:10 PM
Plane Nuts
Looks good David. What are you using for the CNC work?
Aug 26, 2018, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason
Looks good David. What are you using for the CNC work?
An older multicam 5000 series - it's a cabinet machine really, but it clears 7" under the gantry so most airplane parts fit fine. Eats carbon too... Though carbon is a little tricky to cut sometimes especially with the smaller cutters - they break a lot, and everything except diamond coated cutters get dull pretty quick

Making good progress today too. I'll post progress pics tonight

-david
Aug 27, 2018, 02:38 AM
Another productive day.

Got the nosegear mounting plate helf reconfigured, the motor cable run tubes bonded in, the inboard nacelle halves bonded, and the cooling vents opened up and shaped in on the leading edge roots.

Starting to look mean

-david
Aug 28, 2018, 02:01 AM
Not much done tonight. Got some simple bonding done. Mocked the whole thing up again though. This thing looks so cool ... I hope it flies lol

-david
Aug 28, 2018, 09:55 AM
Plane Nuts
Looks good - just watch your elevator throws and possibly elevator flutter at high speeds - depends on how fast it ends up going.

You have lots of elevator surface, large overhang area in front of hinge line and a small hinge attachment length. Elevator could end up being aerodynamically neutral. Where it could deflect either way with very little actuating pressure. If there is any slop in the servo linkage - it might flutter. Might not - just something to keep an eye on.
Aug 28, 2018, 12:21 PM
Plane Nuts
Another fun day at the office

Another day at the office - Whoop style (1 min 30 sec)
Aug 29, 2018, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason
Another fun day at the office

https://youtu.be/rs7lJtxWNkQ

Nice flying - I've got a little inductrix but I can't make it do that lol

Nice clean shop too

-david
Aug 29, 2018, 12:59 PM
Photos for reference

That's an FMS 1700mm tigercat, the most similar airframe I have to this thing - I got it because I thought it might be a good flight trainer for this project... But it might not be. Thing flies like a pussycat - might need to make some mods to make it harder to fly... Maybe just make it a bit heavier and with stronger motors... And maybe do a differential thrust mix. Or maybe just leave it alone altogether idk

-david
Aug 29, 2018, 02:43 PM
Low And Slow 3D Pilot
Dang! Now I want to fly the STOLFast!
Aug 29, 2018, 10:34 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
David, pretty cool to see you rockin the Pickle Rick t-shirt. Now it's time to get "schwifty".
Aug 30, 2018, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69
David, pretty cool to see you rockin the Pickle Rick t-shirt. Now it's time to get "schwifty".
I friggin love Rick and Morty

-david
Aug 30, 2018, 02:25 AM
Got the motor mounting situation pretty much figured out. Carved some foam in the nacelles. Didn't get anything bonded but at least they go together now

-david

Quick Reply