Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 12, 2017, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianspork226
Having good luck with this one so far. Most of the reviews are great. If you feel like building your own and saving cash and INTIMATELY understanding your 3d printer, I highly recommend you build your own (a kit vs. Ready-to-run). Mine works great, no broken parts or DOA electronics, and a good strong support community if you have issues / questions.

I got a reprap Wilson II. buy here, about $500:
https://www.tindie.com/products/mjri...-printer-kit-/

And read most if not all of this:
http://community.reprapwilson3d.com

I'm using Simplify3d right now with great results so far. Not free (about $150) Very happy with the purchase. The slicing software has as much or more to do with good print quality as the machine does.

Can't believe how cheap it is for how nice the parts are so far of you're not afraid of building your own machine, I'd recommend it. AND you can save at least $500 by building it yourself, and as much as $2000 if you build it. I was gonna buy a $2500 machine, but they were out of stock. So I saved $$$$, had fun building it, and it works.

Here's some pics of some test parts I'm working on tweaking the settings on

-david
Hi David, those parts look a little like my avatar
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2017, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman
Hi David, those parts look a little like my avatar
thats not a mistake... i saw that picture on your avatar a while back... for some reason the concept has just stuck with me. lots of applications

theyre using sinewave spars on all kinds o stuff now in all sorts of orientations... id love to incorporate it into some of my models

-david
Oct 16, 2017, 01:22 AM

Lil bit of progress

Got some work done!

Life has been crazy but i got some time this weekend to work on this thing.

The outboard wing sections are cut without any features... i think ill start simple with them and just build them out with kevlar hinges for the ailerons and slats.

Cut the wheels too but not really happy with them... might have to rework those...

Not really visible in these pics but i also got a lot of the flat parts cut like the vertical and horizontal stab spars and the flap stuff and the nacelle/motor mount stuff

Cut the cargo and nosegear doors out too. Then bonded the fuselage halves together.

Progress little by little. Looks cool all taped together

-david
Oct 16, 2017, 01:21 PM
Right Rudder
David,

Nice work and progress!

Can I come over and visit that nice shop of yours?
Oct 19, 2017, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
David,

Nice work and progress!

Can I come over and visit that nice shop of yours?
if youre ever in SoCal then yea sure! lots of cools stuff to show you hiding in that shop...

-david
Feb 21, 2018, 09:32 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
... twin-motored electric propeller aircraft ...
Extend motor wires, and keep the battery wires short. Keep controller close to battery.

Too long battery wires can kill ESC: precautions, solutions & workarounds - RCG
Contents
  • Solution I & II, rules of thumb
  • Problem
  • Capacitor type & polarity (orientation!)
  • How & where (not) to add extra capacitors
  • DIY capacitor pack pictures
  • Capacitor & pack suppliers
  • Expert/manufacturer opinions, they all say the same ... & their rules of thumb.
  • Explanation, water hammer/knock analogy, theory, references, measurements
Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Apr 17, 2018, 12:46 PM
Scratch building addict
Beautiful plane... I am completely clueless with 3D printing technology, is it possible to make foam parts? Thought it was only heavier plastic.
Aug 07, 2018, 12:13 PM
Some progress.

Got some parts bonded and the airframe spackled ready to sand

Slow progress but want to get it done... Should be a really interesting airframe...

-david
Aug 07, 2018, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen
Beautiful plane... I am completely clueless with 3D printing technology, is it possible to make foam parts? Thought it was only heavier plastic.
Technically yea they can print foam parts - but those machines are big and expensive

The machine I'm using for printing this stuff is best for just regular basic PLA. It can print ABS but it's tricky. Recently started messing with carbon filled PLA - results are promising so far. Helps the stiffness and helps raise the service temperature slightly. In some cases enough to get over the threshold of melting in my car... Or not melting in my car lol

-david
Aug 07, 2018, 12:28 PM
Also, thinking about trying this out, mocked it up out of cardboard...

A spludder?
Spludders?

Would act as an airbrake, I think... Would probably cause a pitch up effect when deployed... But it's too easy to execute and try...

-david
Aug 07, 2018, 06:08 PM
Retired CAD guy
I am having pretty good luck with this one ...
https://folgertech.com/collections/3d-printer-full-kits
Aug 08, 2018, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I am having pretty good luck with this one ...
https://folgertech.com/collections/3d-printer-full-kits
Look like decent machines. We are using the crap out of mine... We may need a replacement/upgrade soon. Thanks

-david
Aug 08, 2018, 03:13 AM
Motors and props bolted together. They look like props bolted to motors... Awesome

Got the spackle applied last night sanded down for the most part. Pretty much ready to glass the exterior surfaces

-david
Aug 10, 2018, 09:38 AM
Plane Nuts
Nice David - looking forward to the test flights

Rob
Aug 10, 2018, 12:25 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Motors and props bolted together. ...
Why 3-blade and not more efficient 2-blade props David? Ground clearance? Sound?

Prettig weekend Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Aug 10, 2018 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply